Author Topic: Converted style issues with complex chords  (Read 1057 times)

Converted style issues with complex chords
« on: July 12, 2023, 12:11:13 PM »
Dear friends,

I haven't been able to find this matter on previous topics.

Styles converted from other arrangers would often be quite useful, as they bring very different taste than the Yamaha styles.

Unfortunately quite all (converted styles) sound well on basic chords, BUT they don't on more complex chords (for instance: C7b9, Fadim7, G7aug, ecc.): when you try to play these chords, some or most of the tracks become mute.

My questions are:
1. What is the cause of that behavior of the style?
2. Is there anything one could do (in Genos Edit mode) to solve this problem?

Thank you,

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline BogdanH

Re: Converted style issues with complex chords
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 01:12:25 PM »
hello Angelo,
I believe that most (converted) styles use CMaj root chord -because that makes them kinda universal for popular music. But if we wish our style to sound right in some other root chord, then this must be defined at style creation (see: Genos reference manual, page 28). In this case we talk about custom style tailored to specific song.
As manual says, we can't simply change root chord setting in style afterward, for example from CMaj to CAug (we can, but it still won't sound right). To make it sound properly, we would also need to manually change all wrong notes in style -which is a lot of work and doesn't really make sense.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad, MadrasGiaguari