Author Topic: downloaded midi  (Read 2306 times)

Offline mazydazydinah

downloaded midi
« on: July 11, 2023, 10:49:49 AM »
Hi there,  I have a problem with a  downloaded midi.  I have put the midi through Mix Master and it says it is in the key signature of C.  My music is also in C. so why does it sound like a bag of knives and forks when it plays?  I am presuming the Genos keyboard is also  in C.  or is it?

Offline Divemaster

Re: downloaded midi
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 10:59:04 AM »
Have you checked your transpose settings?
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline RoyB

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2023, 02:02:47 PM »
You cannot rely upon the key signature information in a downloaded midi file being correct - often it is not updated to the correct key signature of the midi file, and so it remains at the default of C major even if the midi file is in some other key.

Regards

Roy
Roy

Tyros 5-76; Roland FA08; Yammex V3; Behringer Q502USB; Arturia BeatStep; Alesis Elevate 3 MkIII;  Yamaha YST-FSW050; Sony MDR 7510; MultiTrackStudio Pro + AAMS.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQu3I6XidcZWOmsl_FM49_Q/videos

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2023, 05:14:53 PM »
As Roy mentioned, you cannot count on MIDI downloaded from the Web. Unless the file comes from a reputable source, it likely contains all sorts of rando problems.

The key signature MIDI meta-event in a Standard MIDI File (SMF) is more of a hint than an actual command. It tells the player (or sequencer) what is supposed to be the key for the MIDI data in the other tracks. The player (or sequencer) can do what it wants with the information -- which is typically nothing other than to display the key.

I treat all Internet MIDI files as guilty until proven innocent.  :D

All the best -- pj

Offline Duffy

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2023, 07:45:38 PM »
Hi there,  I have a problem with a  downloaded midi.  I have put the midi through Mix Master and it says it is in the key signature of C.  My music is also in C. so why does it sound like a bag of knives and forks when it plays?  I am presuming the Genos keyboard is also  in C.  or is it?

Try reading the midi score whilst it plays and see what the notes are that don't match what you play.
Or, you could use transpose either keyboard or midi,  up or down one semitone at a time until they match.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2023, 10:32:40 PM »
I'mI am presuming the Genos keyboard is also  in C.  or is it?

I am not sure what you mean by this. The Genos is not 'in' any key. It's the notes you play that are in a key.

You weren't clear if the midi sounds awful when you play it back on its own, or only once you join in.
Genos

Offline mazydazydinah

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2023, 08:38:14 AM »
thanks everyone, I will take the midi as the suspect, and work on from there.

Marion

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2023, 12:40:48 PM »
Midi files can be written in any key and the key signature on the score should tell you what key you should play in.

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2023, 01:34:40 PM »
Marion, if a midi sounds ok by itself but doesn’t match what you play, there can really only be 2 reasons - it’s in a different key or you have the wrong midi.
Mike