Author Topic: Saving styles, registrations, etc  (Read 2387 times)

Offline DavidGall

Saving styles, registrations, etc
« on: July 10, 2023, 06:49:07 PM »
Hi everyone, it’s been a while since we’ve had the genos keyboard out and was looking for some professional help as to backing everything we have done onto a usb stick, so was looking for some help, rather than being paranoid about losing stuff!!
Also, can anyone suggest a style for the song, Let’s Dance by Chris Montez, using the long intro, please?
Thanks, in advance

Online Divemaster

Re: Saving styles, registrations, etc
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 08:18:34 PM »
I don't have a Genos, I have an SX700, but back EVERYTHING up, not just to USB for your day to day playing or performing but also to an external hard drive.
That way you always have a backup to go to which is independant from your pc.
Computer crashes can and do happen.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 08:19:40 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 10:01:08 PM »
I back up everything on my USB drive and also my PC. Can't have too many backups, especially when you are an onstage performer and make your living using your arranger keyboard.

As for a style for Let's Dance, I'll have to dig in my style archives, but I'm sure Roger will have something on hand for this one.

Good Luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline DavidGall

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 10:38:35 PM »
Thanks for your help

Offline DavidGall

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 10:40:08 PM »
Thanks all, just wanted a quick recap, think I know, but have been caught out before, so just an idiot guide to help would be appreciated!🙏😀

Offline Stijn

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2023, 11:04:00 AM »
For backups I prefer to use a computer connected to the Genos set in USB Storage mode.
(connect Genos with Printer cable to PC/Laptop, start Genos holding down the Playlist button)

The PC sees Genos as an external drive and the windows explorer sees all folders and all files on the Genos USER.
And.... it's a lot faster!!!

Alternatively, you could use the Yamaha "MusicSoft Downloader" program (MSD) for backups (only available for Windows computers).
This allows you to see/access all files in the User drive from the PC and copy data regardless of the file type.
However, the MSD is more intended/suitable for smaller files, since the file transfer takes place here via the USB-MIDI protocol.
It's slow compared to the USB Storage mode.

Note: don't backup the folder Expansion, this is handled by YEM only.

Style suggestion for Let's Dance: 60sVintage, 70sDisco1, 60sRock&Roll, CrocoTwist
See this download for some Styles: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/mw9nsx7gipt3i30ca5nho/h?rlkey=r6vbb3t18j84jt9ybzlqzzd8q&dl=0

Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

The following users thanked this post: Roshure, srmf

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2023, 10:09:39 AM »
Dear friends,

for saving the work I do in my Genos, I periodically:

1. Copy on a pen-drive all styles, registrations, voices, songs. Then I copy from the pen-drive to my computer (Mac), and the copied files also automatically go on Google Drive. The "Copy" method is very convenient, as one may recall single files, when needed.

2. Do a full Backup on a pen-drive, and then copy the Backup file to the computer, for extra safety.

For both method I name the folder with the date, which helps in case you need to search previous version of saving a style or voice, ecc.

Ciao

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

The following users thanked this post: Roshure

Offline DavidGall

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2023, 11:50:11 PM »
Thanks to all for your advice!

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2023, 06:26:03 PM »
My backup method is very close to what Angelo describes.

Since we are on the topic of backups, I have a question about the backup file (.BUP) created from the Utility menu. Is that file only used to restore the User data all at once? I am assuming individual styles, registrations and .VCE’s cannot be extracted individually from this .BUP file if that need ever arises, and therefore must be saved individually to USB?

Rich
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 06:29:19 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+