Author Topic: USA Edition 8 Clavinova Content for CVP-809GP  (Read 3586 times)

Offline sorenweiss

USA Edition 8 Clavinova Content for CVP-809GP
« on: July 05, 2023, 08:40:45 PM »
I understand that there is a "USA Edition 8 Clavinova Content" software package (https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/accessories/usa_edition/), which users in the US can acquire. Does anyone know how I might be able to acquire the package? I live in Europe.

Edited 2023-07-06 by overover: Fixed the link url
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 02:37:52 AM by overover »

The following users thanked this post: Amwilburn

Offline overover

Re: USA Edition 8 Clavinova Content for CVP-809GP
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 05:27:45 AM »
Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, sorenweiss!

The USA Edition 8 is a .bup Backup file that is installed via the Backup/Restore function. Note that this will overwrite the existing user-defined System settings and the current contents of the User drive. In addition to the .bup file, the CVP-809GP USA Edition includes 24 style files (.sty), 3 registration bank files (.rgt), an audio song (.wav) and a PDF file with instructions.

Before installing the USA Edition, I recommend backing up your current settings as a .bup file using the Backup function and also copying the contents of the User drive to a USB stick (each file type such as Styles, MIDI files, Audio files, Registration Bank files must be copied SEPARATELY!).

Use the following link to download the zip file "CVP809GP_USA_Edition8.zip" and copy the contents of the unzipped folder to a blank USB drive, in the root directory. Be sure to read the included "USA Edition Download Instructions.pdf" file for instructions.

>>> CVP809GP_USA_Edition8.zip

Hope this helps!

P.S.
For CVP-809 (without "GP") and CVP-805 there are separate downloads. (The .bup files are different for each model.)

>>> CVP809_USA_Edition8.zip
>>> CVP805_USA_Edition8.zip

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 05:55:51 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Bill, thomas750, rodrigo.b, Amwilburn, sorenweiss, CovidPianist, Sharpens

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 06:31:58 AM »
do you have llnk too the cvp700 series as the voice function seems a great idea

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 07:23:58 AM »
do you have llnk too the cvp700 series as the voice function seems a great idea

Yes, here is the link for the CVP-700 series (701/705/709/709GP). :)

Note that the Voice Guide is only included for 705 and 709.

>>> CVP700_Series_USA_Edition_Upgrade_2.zip

The download size is about 401 MB (!)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 07:27:43 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

The following users thanked this post: thomas750, Amwilburn, NAMA, Whitecolin11

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 07:42:34 AM »

The USA Edition 8 is a .bup Backup file that is installed via the Backup/Restore function. Note that this will overwrite the existing user-defined System settings and the current contents of the User drive. In addition to the .bup file, the CVP-809GP USA Edition includes 24 style files (.sty), 3 registration bank files (.rgt), an audio song (.wav) and a PDF file with instructions.

Before installing the USA Edition, I recommend backing up your current settings as a .bup file using the Backup function and also copying the contents of the User drive to a USB stick (each file type such as Styles, MIDI files, Audio files, Registration Bank files must be copied SEPARATELY!).

Use the following link to download the zip file "CVP809GP_USA_Edition8.zip" and copy the contents of the unzipped folder to a blank USB drive, in the root directory. Be sure to read the included "USA Edition Download Instructions.pdf" file for instructions.

Hope this helps!

P.S.
For CVP-809 (without "GP") and CVP-805 there are separate downloads. (The .bup files are different for each model.)

Best regards,
Chris

Excuse me, what is the “USA edition”? I have a CVP 809 and I'm from Perú.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 07:50:37 AM by rodrigo.b »

The following users thanked this post: Whitecolin11

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 10:50:12 AM »
Excuse me, what is the “USA edition”? I have a CVP 809 and I'm from Perú.

Hi Rodrigo,

The "USA Edition" is a free software package normally only available to USA residents who have registered their CVP-809/805/709/705/701 on the Yamaha USA website. However, using the links in my first post, every owner of one of the CVP models mentioned can download the appropriate version of the "USA Edition" and install it on their CVP.

Please note my above notes/warnings in connection with installing the package by loading the .bup file via the backup/restore function.

The OP (sorenweiss) had already linked the product information for this package in the first post of this thread. The content differs for the individual models mentioned, see the table on the following page. Also click on the "Features" tab on this page.
>>> https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/accessories/usa_edition/

P.S.
As mentioned, the linked zip file for the CVP-809GP contains 24 Styles (in the folder "StyleGuideResources!") and 3 Registration Bank files (.rgt). These can also be used without installing the .bup file (on any model).

In order for the three "CVP809 StyleGuide.rgt" registration banks to work, the mentioned folder "StyleGuideResources!" must be copied into the root directory of a USB stick. The associated three .rgt files (containing a total of 24 registrations for the included 24 styles) can be used from any location on the USB stick or in User drive.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 12:24:13 PM by overover »

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 03:14:07 PM »
Hi Rodrigo,

The "USA Edition" is a free software package normally only available to USA residents who have registered their CVP-809/805/709/705/701 on the Yamaha USA website. However, using the links in my first post, every owner of one of the CVP models mentioned can download the appropriate version of the "USA Edition" and install it on their CVP.

Please note my above notes/warnings in connection with installing the package by loading the .bup file via the backup/restore function.

The OP (sorenweiss) had already linked the product information for this package in the first post of this thread. The content differs for the individual models mentioned, see the table on the following page. Also click on the "Features" tab on this page.
>>> https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/accessories/usa_edition/

P.S.
As mentioned, the linked zip file for the CVP-809GP contains 24 Styles (in the folder "StyleGuideResources!") and 3 Registration Bank files (.rgt). These can also be used without installing the .bup file (on any model).

In order for the three "CVP809 StyleGuide.rgt" registration banks to work, the mentioned folder "StyleGuideResources!" must be copied into the root directory of a USB stick. The associated three .rgt files (containing a total of 24 registrations for the included 24 styles) can be used from any location on the USB stick or in User drive.

Best regards,
Chris

Thank you! Is there a list with the new sounds and styles of this pack?

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 03:52:51 PM »
Thank you! Is there a list with the new sounds and styles of this pack?

Hi Rodrigo,

I am not aware of such lists. Simply download the 809GP version of the USA Edition and test the included 24 styles (both directly loaded and in connection with the 24 registrations in the included 3 bank files) on your CVP-809. If you want to install the package, you also need the .bup file from the CVP-809 download, because the .bup from the 809GP download does not work for the normal 809.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no program that can open .bup backup files. In order to see which files (e.g. user voices, registration files, etc.) are copied to the User drive, you would have to install the appropriate .bup file on your CVP-809 (using Backup > Restore). As already mentioned, however, you should definitely save your own .bup backup file before (contains the system settings and the content of the User drive).

In addition, I recommend backing up the system settings by saving the individual Setup files (System Setup file, User Effect file, MIDI Setup file) as well as important files in the User drive (e.g. styles, registration files, MIDI files, audio files) directly to a USB stick copy.

Perhaps a user who has already installed the "USA Edition" on his CVP-809 could write here exactly which files are copied to the User drive by installing the .bup file.

To be on the safe side, once again the warning that installing a .bup file (with Backup > Restore) always DELETES the previous content of the User drive.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 04:00:33 PM by overover »

Offline Bill

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 04:19:36 PM »
Hi Rodrigo

Syles list from the Resources file.
8BeatModern.T160.sty
60s Organ Ballad.T307.sty
70s Pop Duo 2.T281.sty
70s Scat Legend.T297.sty
80s Analog Ballad.T311.sty
Acoustic 8Bt Bld.T311.sty
Beach Rock.T280.sty
Big Band Shuffle.T283.sty
Bossa Brazil.T285.sty
Chart Piano Shuffle.T308.sty
Choir Soundtrack.T306.sty
Country Blues.T305.sty
FingerPickin.T151.sty
Foxtrot.T282.sty
Funk Pop Rock.T310.sty
Gospel Party.T298.sty
GuitarSerenade.T153.sty
Hollywood Gospel.T298.sty
Rock Cha-Cha.T302.sty
Surf Rock.T280.sty
Tap Dance Swing.T306.sty
The Jazz Singers.T283.sty
Top Chart Country.T305.sty
Vocal Pop Ballad.T311.sty
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

The following users thanked this post: rodrigo.b

Offline sorenweiss

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2023, 10:33:56 PM »

Hope this helps!

P.S.

Best regards,
Chris

Works like a charm. Great pack of additional styles. Thanks Chris ;-)

Offline sorenweiss

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2023, 04:51:45 AM »
Once again, thank you to Chris for sharing "USA edition 8". I just watched a video, where it is clear that a "USA edition 9" has been released. Do you - or someone else - perhaps have this version and would like to share it in the forum? Does anyone know what the content difference is between edition 8 and edition 9? Thanks in advance.

Offline Sharpens

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2023, 08:44:55 AM »
Hi overover, is it possible to upload the new USA Edition Clavinova Content 9 version for the CVP 805?
Best regards.

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2023, 08:24:30 PM »
Hi overover, is it possible to upload the new USA Edition Clavinova Content 9 version for the CVP 805?
Best regards.

Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Sharpens!

Unfortunately that won't work. The "USA Edition 9 for Clavinova" can only be used for the new CVP-909GP, CVP-909 and CVP-905 models. The reason is that all content is contained in a .BUP backup file that is model specific. And, to my knowledge, there is no way to extract the contents of .BUP files either.  :(

The following links are therefore only for owners of the CVP-909GP/909/905 models:

Product Information:
>>> USA Edition 9 Clavinova Content
>>> USA Edition 9 Promotion

Download Links:
>>> USA Edition 9 for CVP-909GP.zip
>>> USA Edition 9 for CVP-909.zip
>>> USA Edition 9 for CVP-905.zip

Best regards,
Chris

The following users thanked this post: Amwilburn, CovidPianist

Offline overover

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2023, 08:34:40 PM »
Once again, thank you to Chris for sharing "USA edition 8". I just watched a video, where it is clear that a "USA edition 9" has been released. Do you - or someone else - perhaps have this version and would like to share it in the forum? Does anyone know what the content difference is between edition 8 and edition 9? Thanks in advance.

Hi sorenweiss,

Please click on the first link in my post above and see the content table there. I don't know any more details yet. But as I said, the new versions can only be used with CVP-909/905 models.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 08:36:03 PM by overover »

Offline CovidPianist

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2023, 09:34:50 PM »
It is interesting that USA version 9 contents lists 905, 909, 909GP and  805 but not 809.

Offline overover

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2023, 09:48:21 PM »
It is interesting that USA version 9 contents lists 905, 909, 909GP and  805 but not 809.

Welcome to the PSR Tutoral Forum, CovidPianist!

Yamaha probably just "forgot" to include the 809 and 809GP models in the current list on the website linked above. However, as posted above, separate versions of the USA Edition for CVP-805, 809 and 809GP are available:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,66638.msg503963.html#msg503963

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 09:50:37 PM by overover »

Offline CovidPianist

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2023, 09:53:06 PM »
I talked to Craig Knudsen (one of Clavinova developers) last week, and he said USA edition 9 is for 900 models only.  Hopefully he meant "for now"

Offline overover

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2023, 10:23:56 PM »
I talked to Craig Knudsen (one of Clavinova developers) last week, and he said USA edition 9 is for 900 models only.  Hopefully he meant "for now"

Hi CovidPianist,

Yes, and USA Edition 8 is for CVP-800 series only. :)

This content is only available as .BUP backup files, so there is a separate .BUP file for each model (which cannot be used on another model).

If you are interested in USA Edition 9 content (e.g. Styles) to use on an 800 series model, you would need to ask a 900 series user to copy the desired content from the User drive. However, note that CVP-900 series Registrations are probably not compatible with the 800 models.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 10:31:54 PM by overover »

Offline frozzers

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2023, 12:28:30 PM »
Hi Chris

I've got a CVP-909 and downloaded the zip file but its contents consist only of the bup file 'CVP-909.bup' and a folder 'CVP-909backup' which has another folder 'SONG'. In that folder there are 2 wav files: 'Amazing Grace.wav' and 'Record Audio.wav'. I tried the bup file on my keyboard and it failed part way through. When I turned the keyboard back on, some changes had been made to the Home screen with some instructional registrations and the owner's name was changed to 'Clavinova CVP-909 USA Edition'. Other than that, I couldn't see any other changes.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has had any success with the non-GP zip. Meanwhile, in view of the failed installation, I wouldn't recommend installing the bup file. Fortunately, I'd kept my own back up and I've now reinstalled my bup.

I think there's something wrong with these zip files. If you look at the CVP-809 zips, they too have only the bup file and SONG folders (like the 909). But the CVP-809GP.zip has the bup file and the SONG folder as well as 3 rgt files, the download instructions and another folder: StyleGuideResources!' which includes the 24 new styles. I think these should have been included in the other two zips.

I thought I'd try and get the USA Edition from your USA Edition 9 Promotion link above but to get the download you have to state the name of your US dealer which I can't because I bought the Clavinova in the UK.

I'm just wondering if you are aware of any other zips I might try?

Cheers

Chris

Offline overover

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2023, 02:40:34 PM »
@frozzers
Hi Chris,

The links I posted for USA Editions 8 and 9 are the original links from Yamaha that you receive after registering on the Yamaha USA website. I also noticed that the content of the version 9 files differs from that of the 8 versions. But I previously assumed that with the current 9 versions all content (except for the folder with the two WAV files) should be in the BUP file.

As is well known, loading a BUP backup file with RESTORE overwrites the System settings and the contents of the internal User drive. Have you already checked the File Selection displays of the individual modes (Style, Registration, Voice, Song, Playlist mode) to see whether the content mentioned in the USA Edition 9 list is there?
>>> USA Edition 9 Content List

Unfortunately I can't test it myself because I don't have a CVP-90x. But, as I said, these are the official Yamaha downloads. Actually, all of the content listed on the list linked above should be included.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 02:51:18 PM by overover »

Offline frozzers

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2023, 04:29:32 PM »
Hi Chris

Well I've installed the backup again and it failed as last time. The message says 'Error in loading the backup file. The instrument will be restarted.'

The failed installation leaves a legacy in the instrument. The detailed changes are:

1. Owner is shown as 'USA Edition 9.0'.
2. A set of 8 Registrations is loaded - all designed to be used to play various demos. These demos expect various resources to be available. Some are there, some are not.

There's no doubt in my mind that the zips are incomplete. There are no style files (these are present in the CVP-809GP zip) and there is no installation guide which is most unusual for a Yamaha file of this nature. Realistically, you wouldn't expect to find these resources within the bup file. As it says in the Download instructions (for the CVP-800 models) 'It's important that the names and placement of the files and folders of the drive remain unchanged. For example, the Quick Demo Registrations are expecting the AMAZING GRACE audio file to be in the top/root folder of the drive. If that file is moved or renamed, the registration won't find it.'

Oh well, maybe a reliable zip will turn up in due course.

If anyone has managed to load a 909 bup from this (or the 809) special edition I'd be grateful to know.

Cheers

Chris