Author Topic: Cleaning keys  (Read 2341 times)

Offline chesterkins

Cleaning keys
« on: July 02, 2023, 04:23:59 PM »
Somehow some of the keys of my Genos have become a little sticky and others lost their shine . Is there a good way to clean and polish the keys without doing harm?

Offline overover

Re: Cleaning keys
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 04:40:31 PM »
Hi chesterkins,

I just take some water with a drop of dish soap. I use it to lightly dampen a clean cloth in one spot and clean the keys. Then moisten the cloth slightly with clear water at another point and wipe again. Wipe dry if necessary.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: chesterkins

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 04:58:44 PM »
The best product I found for cleaning the keys and the display was Endust For Electronics. Does a great job, no residue and very safe to use. Just follow the directions on the can.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: chesterkins

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 05:07:58 PM »
Thanks for that, Gary. Further to your comment, do you have any ideas on how to make the keys less sticky for outdoor shows where there's high humidity? I just played two shows yesterday on outdoor stages for Canada Day. Certain parts were near impossible to play because the keys were very sticky. Washing hands between songs is not feasible and is only a very temporary fix. Thanks.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2023, 06:57:25 PM »
It is very humid here in Maryland during the summer, and the only solution I had for solving this problem was to wear thin, white cotton gloves while playing. Kinda like Michael Jackson, but I didn't make nearly as much money as he did for a performance. You can purchase the gloves in most drug stores for about $1 or less a pair.

Good luck,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 12:33:53 AM »
Thanks for that, Gary. I shall see what's available in Canada. You'd be surprised what we can't get! If those gloves are available here, they're probably be $30 plus all the gouging tax Trudeau has created in the past few months. End of rant ;D.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 02:29:54 PM »
Get a new kitchen disposable cloth, wet it  and wring it out so no drips and go over the keys.
After go over with  a micro fibre cloth.
Easy Peasy :)

Also i find washing hands gives you a better non slip feel of the keys when playing.

I also clean the keyboard and screen with Glasses lens cleaner and glasses clean cloth. Just rub lightly and let dry or evaporates.
This takes the shine off the black and looks good as new.
Also Micro Fibre cloth over the whole lot is great for getting rid of dust.
I do use the hoover carefully  and if you are not a baby boomer , then it is a vacuum ;D Do not tell Dyson ;D lol.
I have a this attachment that goes in gap under keys and slightly hold away from surface for a general clean.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 07:31:26 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2023, 06:02:41 PM »
I bought a spray, should be under 5 or 6 bucks.
It does really well and gives it a good finish.
Norman.
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2023, 10:56:49 PM »
I agree with Chris, I also use dish soap, Very non abrasive.

Do not use Lysol (turns the keys yellow)

Mark

Offline dacca

Yamaha Genos-korg Pa5x Musikant -Ketron-SD 40