Author Topic: Problem with the search function  (Read 1125 times)

Offline pmahl

Problem with the search function
« on: June 17, 2023, 10:38:33 AM »
Dear Forum Members,
I need your help with the following problem with the Genos search function.
I want to save in my song registrations not only a matching style but also a midifile. To find the midifile I use the search function. After finishing the search I get several results. But, if I then select the desired midifile, I often get the error message: File not found, or file name is inappropiate and I cannot load the file.
On the other hand, I can load the file directly from its location without any problems.
I have checked the files with the software "Midi and Style Checker", with "Midi Database" and with "PSRUTI". All software programs did not find any error in the files.
In the meantime I was also in contact with the Yamaha Support. I only received hints that did not help me (folder structure, no more than four hierarchies, no special characters in the file name). One last hint I could not take seriously: "Limit the number of files in a folder to a maximum of 200"???????????
I mean, it's clear that the fewer files in a folder, the faster the search. But Yamaha's advertising for the Genos talks about 2500 files as the maximum in a folder. That actually works as well - why then the limitation in the search function?
Conclusion: I can't get any further here and am grateful for any help to solve my problem.
Peter

Addition:
I moved some of the midifiles in question to another folder. The search result always shows me the state before the move. So it is not updated.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 01:27:23 PM by pmahl »
Peterm

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Problem with the search function
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2023, 02:53:50 PM »
On the other hand, I can load the file directly from its location without any problems.

So, doesn't this solve your problem? If you can load the file directly without problems, then ignore the problems with Search.

By the way, most of us would agree with the advice to limit the number of files in a folder to 200.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline pmahl

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 07:38:01 AM »
Hi Fred,
I would like to share the latest development here:
I have completely reinstalled my Genos. Also the operating system, my styles, midis, registrations, etc. After that the search worked fine. Next, I moved a midi file from its folder to another (newly created). Then did the search again. As a result I got the moved file with its original location. Of course loading this file did not work (hint: file not found or name is not usable). The file at its new location was not shown.
To me it looks like the search is not updating. The result always remains the same.
So the search is not usable.
Since no one but you has responded to my inquiry, I assume that this problem is unique to me or is of no interest to anyone else.
At this point I must say that I am not satisfied with being able to select the files directly in their location. Why? It's simple, Yamaha offers this feature in the Genos and I paid for it. So I can also expect it to work.
Nevertheless, thank you for your advice.
Peter

Peterm

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 12:02:33 PM »
Hi Fred,
I have completely reinstalled my Genos. Also the operating system, my styles, midis, registrations, etc. After that the search worked fine. Next, I moved a midi file from its folder to another (newly created). Then did the search again. As a result I got the moved file with its original location. Of course loading this file did not work (hint: file not found or name is not usable). The file at its new location was not shown.
To me it looks like the search is not updating. The result always remains the same.
Since no one but you has responded to my inquiry, I assume that this problem is unique to me or is of no interest to anyone else.
At this point I must say that I am not satisfied with being able to select the files directly in their location. Why? It's simple, Yamaha offers this feature in the Genos and I paid for it. So I can also expect it to work.
Nevertheless, thank you for your advice.
Peter

There are several threads on Search, so your problems are not unique to you.

What’s common is that Search takes time to update its indexes. It will work if you give it time (like 5 to 15 minutes). If you’re not willing to give it time, Search isn’t for you.

Cheers,
Fref
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Lefty

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 01:41:34 AM »
Hi Fred,

I started a thread on search problems a while ago.  This is a known problem at Yamaha.  It is common amongst Genos, and the PRS-SX900/700 keyboards.  Something happens that causes the keyboard OS to not be able to update the indexes.  When this happens, there is nothing you or Yamaha tech support can do.  They sent me a replacement keyboard, or if you are near a support center, they will replace the main board.

I was assured by Yamaha support that this is NOT because you have too many files/folders.  The OS should be able to handle anything you throw at it.  It is a bug in the keyboard OS.

I suggest you contact Yamaha support.

Best of luck,
  Craig
Yamaha PSR-SX900, Studiologic Numa X 73, Lots of guitars and harmonicas