Author Topic: dgx670 Adaptive Styles  (Read 1813 times)

Offline motekmusic

dgx670 Adaptive Styles
« on: June 16, 2023, 06:35:04 AM »
Hello

here is a link to the tutorial which shows how an adaptive style can be CANCELLED.   I found this out just the other day as was
becoming a bit frustrated using these styles and there are 50 of them and did not want to take the time and effort to find alternatives for these styles.   Also would like any feedback other players have using these styles.   Basically it looks like a two step operation to cancel as have to go to the style setting,, tab and on the left hand corner is the adaptive style settings so just hit cancel and proceed as normal.  Maybe by finding just one voice et al piano and cancelling the OTS then perhaps the style would work better.  Just my 2 cents on this feature which does sound quite exciting and useful.   Hope this is helpful .

cheers
elaine

PS    the setting demo is around 6.42

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj_RkMMqJBM&t=402s
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline Graham UK

Re: dgx670 Adaptive Styles
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 10:04:02 AM »
elaine. oposite to you...I find the adaptive style feature myself enjoyable to play, it simply follows your soft or hardness your playing the keys to move up the style variations.
This is the way a normal band does play.

Just wish it was switable to use on the remaining styles.
DGX670

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2023, 11:24:37 AM »
Is DGX the only keyboard with adaptive styles.
Mike

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2023, 12:13:05 PM »
Is DGX the only keyboard with adaptive styles.
Mike

Hi Mike,

As far as I know, the "Adaptive Style" technology is currently only available in DGX-670 and Electone ELA-1. Neither CVP-905/909, PSR-SX600 nor all previous models support this.
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtAa17hMZ-g

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023, 12:48:30 PM »
Hello again  :)

Thanks so much Graham for your timely reply and for sure realize am the odd ball out with the adaptives.   Am a newbie to the machine my opinions are just off cuff.   Probably if spend more time practicing those styles will be more comfortable.   Maybe that is why they call them "adaptive" cuz will take some time to adjust.   In the meantime applause to yamaha for putting in that cancel option on the settings for us oddballs.   Also that style setting contains other options even selecting an into. 

Again thanks Graham for your reply as you have had a lot more time with the 670 than i have and your comments are so appreciated.
I also wonder if these type of styles, adaptive, accent , unison will be part of any new keyboard features.   Also wonder if once the cancel button is selected can the style be "saved " as non adaptive on the user sections or usb.    Here's to "adapting"

cheers
elaine

PS  thanks so much Chris for answering  Mike's query...I concur.

Edit 2023-06-16 by overover: Removed some line breaks to improve readability
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 05:59:53 PM by overover »

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

Online Amwilburn

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2023, 06:36:03 PM »
Hello again  :)

Thanks so much Graham for your timely reply and for sure realize am the odd ball out with the adaptives. 

You're not odd. I really like the adaptive styles in theory, but the ones with the cymbal crashes to indicate the changes are just too jarring, so I prefer to play with them off as well. Plus I use registrations when I want to set the Main A,B,C,D sections.

Maybe someday they'll nail it so it's less jarring. Because I can also see how it'll be nice to just play the piano, and not think about the accompaniment at all.

Mark

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2023, 06:42:00 PM »
cymbal crashes

Believe it or not, there was a long thread on the Musicplayer Keyboard Corner about the musicality of cymbal crashes, love and hate.

Bottom-line of that discussion -- use cymbal crashes sparingly.

-- pj

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2023, 09:03:36 PM »
Amwilburn. Cymbal Crash is on Unison...Not Adaptive Styles.
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: motekmusic

Online Amwilburn

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2023, 09:36:46 PM »
Yes, you're right! But there are more unison than adaptive styles on there, and some are even both.

Inexplicably, even with "Unison" set globally to off, I still get those horrible crash cymbals. It makes me load up the non-adaptive/non-unison regular versions of those styles in the DGX because it's that irritating.

I'm glad you like the adaptive styles (and presumably the unison ones as well). But it's definitely not universally liked, which is what I was telling Elaine; she's far from the only one.

In addition to the annoying almost random crash cymbals, it's actually quite hard to control the velocity to correctly trigger Main C for chorus, Main B for bridge, D for break etc by just playing, especially when you're doing chords on the right hand with grace notes (which is how I normally play) so even the purely adaptive styles, the control just isn't there for me.

Mark
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 10:43:57 PM by Amwilburn »

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2023, 06:29:33 AM »
Hello

Appreciate all the replies to this thread.

I have not paid much attention to those unison,, accent styles so much.and may do so in the future.   Thanks Mark for mentioning them and what to look out for.   Thanks again to Chris for fixing my post.  Sooner or later will get the hang of just typing until the machine does the work for me. 

As have mentioned previously the piano playing is the main meat and potatoes of acquiring this keyboard and doing the styles is the frosting on the cake... I have a file of 670 styles that i downloaded somewhere on the style pages either Oni or Charter files and will
check it out.   When have time want to see if those 670 styles are clear of adaptives, unisons and accents.   

Thanks so much again for all the helpful information.   Hope this is more readable.

cheers
elaine

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2023, 07:51:30 AM »
Hello again,

I found my dgx670 factory styles which i had downloaded from a post from Graham in the charter files section on April 26,2022 and since it was his link do not want to share it unless he agrees or might want to post the link himself.   I tested several of the styles that are known to be adaptives,  especially the cartoon ballad and found that is was not adaptive.   Thanks Graham for sharing the on board dgx 670 styles in their raw form.   Still an "oddball" on using those styles and perhaps the unisons and the accent styles are also in the raw form without the crashes.   

cheers
elaine

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2023, 05:13:55 AM »
Hello,

Would like to correct my previous post re.  adaptive styles not on the 670 files posted by Graham.   After have more time to go through some more of those styles, they do play adaptive just like the preset files on board.   I am sorry for the mistake and cannot testify to how the other unison, accent styles play on that file.   I hope apology is accepted.

cheers
elaine