Yamaha Keyboards (4 Boards) > The Next Yamaha Keyboard

Keyboards and AI

(1/3) > >>

RoyB:
Youtube is awash now with AI generated music - from AI generated compositions and arrangements, AI generated cover songs using the AI generated voice of a different singer, to AI generated voices of famous singers used as a vocal to own-compositions. And some of them are really good.

It is all very impressive and scary at the same time.

There are already AI plugins available for DAWs. So, how long will it be before AI functionality and/or integration finds its way into synthesizer and/or arranger keyboards?

Presumably, it could be possible for keyboards to be able to embrace AI in someway to generate loops, styles, accompaniments and even full arrangements, to add AI vocals to keyboard playing, and to help in compositions.

Is this the future for the next generation of workstations and/or arrangers?

Regards

Roy

Gleston:
If the AI comes to help us play ours instruments and not substitute us , then it will be welcome.
As long as human playing keyboard is the focus, any advancement will be useful.

Whats is the point in use AI to completely play the song? If music and instruments were create for us to play?

I´m not scare of AI , I prefer to play myself , with some interaction with any AI software will be great , but I´m always in command of my playing and pleasure.

Here´s an idea, we can use AI to introduce a new feature in the arrangers : today we have the factory styles well made  by professionals, we can transform some MIDI files in arrangers style, we can mix the existing style and create another one (STYLE CREATOR) and now maybe we can use the AI to create a new style for US to play along (STYLE GENERATOR??)

We can set parameters for this style , include witch style we want ( pop, rock, ballad, etc.) and let the keyboard generates a new one and then keep changing until WE are satisfied and use it for OUR pleasure.

Focus on humans after all.  The main goal of an arranger keyboard is for SOMEONE to play it.

J. Larry:
While playing an arranger, it would be nice to be able to hit a button and get an authentic-sounding solo played on any selected instrument voice----played in the style of the song, following the chord changes, with no glitches.  That’s asking a lot, for sure.  However, Band In A Box has real track solos available to augment the songs created.

pjd:
As the manual sez, "AI Full Keyboard may not always produce appropriate accompaniment."

I would love to see continual improvements in this area. Yamaha does a ton of research on music analysis -- seems like a good area for improvement. Should improve Chord Tracker's recognition, too.

Some form of auto-accompaniment is trickling into the ordinary digital piano product line. The P-515 provides drum plus bass accompaniment. No mention of how the P-515 decides on the bass notes/accompaniment or chord recognition other than the cautionary statement "Some arrangements may not be suitable for use with this feature. 9th, 11th and 13th chords cannot be played."

They got some work to do -- pj

P.S. Yep, I know about the arranger features in CVP, before anybody mentions it.  :)

Mark:
What a great topic to discuss! Unfortunately, it looks like the AI ideas haven't found their way into the arranger's world… Well, maybe in a decade or two, who knows? Nevertheless, here are some ideas:

1. WAVE / MP3 files processing with AI:
Assuming AI can "listen" to the file and "interpret it" as humans do AI could:
- Suggest a tempo of the composition
- Suggest Scale(s)
- Recognize Chords
- Extract Melody / Bass Line / Drum patterns and whatnot based on our preferences (if humans can make it "by ear" maybe AI also can). Convert it to midi with the "closest" voice and provide a staff notation/part that can be imported into the style engine, sequencer, etc.

2. Generation of Musical Ideas:
Based on the style and played composition AI could "support" the player in real-time by generating the whole phrases (pretty much like multi pads do) - it could be melodic parts, or maybe some minor things (percussive fill-ins, bass moves, etc) to make a performance more "interesting".

3. Midi file Intelligent Analysis. AI could analyze a midi song and suggest converting it into style by "extracting" parts that suit variations, fill-ins, etc.

4. Integration with Style Creation Engine. Here AI can be used in many different ways as well:
 - Intelligent assistance in choosing the parameters (NTT / NTR): a player could play the pattern exactly as he/she thinks it should be and the AI will analyze it and convert it into the Style Format that the keyboard will understand and re-apply in real-time, so that there won't be even a need to know about all these NTR / NTT parameters and note restrictions (like "you're allowed to use only note C, D, E, but not F and G# :) ) It could be also an interactive process: the player plays in Major scale, the AI generates and suggests for auditioning how it will sound like in a minor scale, and when the user "confirms" that it sounds like it should, - convert (again automatically by AI) into internal style structure form.
- Support a "part" generator. For example, I have drums and bass, so the style has its "basic" groove and feeling. But I'm not a skillful guitar player, so I could ask AI to "generate" a guitar part
for me that will "feel" natural with the style.
- Mixing advice: we could get suggestions from AI how to setup EQa nd Mixing properly to get a better sound.

5. Suggest songs to the style and the other way around:
 - When we hear a song that we would like to play we have to find an "appropriate" style, set up the tempo, maybe turn off some parts, etc. AI could analyze all the styles that we have (both factory and user styles) and suggest the best style for the song.

6. Intelligent mistakes correction: Hear our play (like a piano teacher does) and provide a feedback on what should be improved :)

7. An ultimate task for AI: Create a Midi / Style out of any arbitrary WAV / MP3 song automatically :))))

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version