Author Topic: new resident  (Read 1699 times)

Offline motekmusic

new resident
« on: June 12, 2023, 11:45:27 AM »
Hello

Yesterday became a proud and happy owner of a new yamaha dgx670.   Traded in the dgx650 and so glad took the plunge.
It is way beyond that 650 with more styles, (4 variations with OTS, editing etc)    Spent most time in the piano room and
compared the CFX with the one residing in the Genos.. huge difference  (sorry Genos)
Anyway just wanted to pop in a short message that got an upgrade (sx900 was the last addition). 

cheers
elaine
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

Offline overover

Re: new resident
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2023, 01:17:14 PM »
Hi Elaine,

Congratulations on your new DGX-670! Yes, a lot has changed compared to the DGX-650. :)

I hope you continue to enjoy your new "resident" and your other Yamaha keyboards.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2023, 03:05:19 PM »
elaine. Had my DGX 670 now for over a year and it out performs it's asking price.
DGX670

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2023, 10:06:26 PM »
Congratulations Elaine. Enjoy😀😀😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 06:37:14 AM »
Hello

Thanks so much Chris, Graham and Toril for your kind words.   

Yes, it is beyond my expectations .   Been playing around with using lots of the styles and voices i already have on my USB sticks.
The keyboard is playing those CVP 809 styles that Oni has converted as well as old 950 and975 style sets.   Really wanted to use
more time for the piano part playing which is the whole reason got the dgx models in the 1st place, but got sidetracked with
so many of the other features.   

Thanks again and also thanks to previous posters on many of the 670 topics that have been so helpful.

cheers
elaine

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 06:47:35 AM »
Congratulations, Elaine !
Have a lot of fun with your new baby ! :)

Best wishes, JH

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2023, 03:30:14 PM »
The DGX is a great keyboard by any standard. But when you wrap 8n the low price, the value is off the map.
BTW Elaine, I doubt 5here is much difference - if any- in the piano voice. But the keyboard feel is so much better, and piano players can produce improved sound when the keyboard feel is better. So I think that might be what gives you the perception that the CFX voice is better than Genos.
Mike

Offline rphillipchuk

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2023, 05:21:49 PM »

The keyboard is playing those CVP 809 styles that Oni has converted

Please direct me to the CVP 809 Styles......
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.

MacBook Pro 32 Gigs Ram, 1 Terrabyte SSD

www.midisafe.com
www.yamahastylesonly.com

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2023, 06:15:28 PM »
Please direct me to the CVP 809 Styles......

Hi rphillipchuk,

Here is a link to Onacimus' Style Conversions page:
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/sty/collections/onacimus.html

Just search this page for the term "CVP-809" in your browser.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 06:17:00 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2023, 09:02:09 AM »
Hi rphillipchuk,

Here is a link to Onacimus' Style Conversions page:
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/sty/collections/onacimus.html

Just search this page for the term "CVP-809" in your browser.

Best regards,
Chris

Thanks so much Chris for linking those styles as sometimes too lazy to do the work.   Also ,  there is another set of styles
that may work on this machine as have tried several of them.... there is a page for  the sx600 styles converted by Oni.
Sometimes there are voice 1 problems so i just hit the layer 2 button and voila no more problem,, even if not the exact OTS voice
on original style.

I did not originally want to spend so much time on the style feature as already have the sx900 sitting to the right and the Genos
sitting to the left so swivel anytime to do styles etc.  Eventually want to make a dedicated USB to all the audio, styles and voices
that can use on the 670.    My efforts to concentrate on piano, have been duly sabotaged.   Although start off in the piano room
with some nice sonatas and other things want to practice, the style section exudes a strong call to me to play them so go out of
piano room and start fiddling with the presets as well as the ones on my USBs.  Also drawn to the audio as have a huge file and
the 670 has a play setting which the genos or the sx900 does not have.   (on those machines have to create a play list in order
for files to be played automatically)       The piano room button is the saving grace so when want to go back to piano,, just click
the ruby red slippers and press that button.    Cannot do that on the other machines.   The dgx650 never really drew me in to
the style .   Hopefully once have auditioned and navigated these extra features can use more percent of time on piano.  That is what
the machine was initially purchased for as was so excited to get that CFX piano on the 88 graded keys.  The genos, sx900 and s975
will have to wait a while for some attention
Sorry for the monologue but thought a WARNING (forgive the humor) was in order. 
Oh BTW  have not even told you guys about all the extra voices that are sitting in those sticks... sigh. 
Oh BTW have not even travelled to the mic.
Oh BTW  have not even gone to all the editing possiblities

One shout out to the poster who linked that Alamo youtube tutorial to change the hertz pitch.. i did that....

thanks again to fellow posters who have provided so many insights, advice,,, usage suggestions   etc.

cheers
elaine

Edit 2023-06-14 by overover: Added missing [/quote] tag
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 11:44:12 AM by overover »

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2023, 12:10:12 PM »
Hi

Sorry, can't seem to fix the previous post as used the quote feature without checking to make sure
my post was seperate.

cheers
elaine

Hi Elaine,

I fixed your post above. The only thing missing was a [/quote] tag that closes the quoted text. ;)

Thank you for your kind and detailed feedback!

By the way, I noticed that you often insert manual line breaks in your posts, i.e. press Enter/Return to limit the line length. However, this makes it difficult to read on smaller screens (e.g. on a smartphone) or in smaller browser windows. Also, problems can arise when using translation tools (the meaning of the original text can be distorted). I therefore generally recommend not using manual line breaks, i.e. leaving the text as so-called "continuous text" and only separating the individual paragraphs with a blank line. In this way, the text is displayed to all users in the best possible way. :)

Best regards,
Chris

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2023, 06:23:24 AM »
Hello

Thanks Chris for fixing my post and am typing this reply with your suggestion to not be manual.  I do have some other issues to speak about but will create seperate posts for those reviews.     Really appreciate all the help and advice on this forum.

cheers
elaine

Offline pjd

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2023, 06:37:41 PM »
The DGX is a great keyboard by any standard. But when you wrap in the low price, the value is off the map.
BTW Elaine, I doubt 5here is much difference - if any- in the piano voice. But the keyboard feel is so much better, and piano players can produce improved sound when the keyboard feel is better. So I think that might be what gives you the perception that the CFX voice is better than Genos.
Mike

I'm finally getting out to music stores and played a DGX-670. I quite agree with Mike.

DGX-670 has VRM soundboard resonance, Genos does not.

Beyond that, in the somewhat speculative domain, there are technical differences in the Montage/MODX CFX implementation and Genos. If DGX-670 adopted the Montage/MODX approach, I would expect the DGX CFX to be more appealing than Genos. Quite agreed about GHS as the lousy MODX synth keybed takes the Montage CFX and renders it useless (unplayable  to my ears and hands).

Hey, though, congratulations -- that's one fine instrument.

-- pj