Author Topic: Dexibell classico  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Genos1957

Dexibell classico
« on: June 09, 2023, 03:43:44 PM »
Greetings to everyone. I wanted to know if our Genos is able to do what this keyboard does. https://youtu.be/BBN_wuVneRU

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline andyg

Re: Dexibell classico
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 04:08:11 PM »
I'm not convinced that the Dexibell can do all that anyway - at least not 'live'! Someone's already commented that the Timpani isn't there, and I'm sure there's more going on than is accounted for by the notes being played.

Can the Genos do that? Right 1 - one of the more Classical strings voices in the 'Seattle' collection. Right 2 - One of the Classical organs, which one depends on how much organ you want! Right 3 Classical Trumpet, set to Mono. With careful playing it will sound the top note that you play in the right hand. Left - either Timpani or one of the 'tutti' orchestral sounds.

Of course you've got to be able to arrange and play that piece in the way that works for you and the keyboard!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline Genos1957

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 04:18:58 PM »
thanks too kind!

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 04:49:58 PM »
Hi Genos1957,

You could also use the Ensemble Voice feature or Keyboard Harmony on Genos to play as shown in that Dexibell video.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Genos1957

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2023, 06:04:22 AM »
Thanks for your replies, I tested what you suggested but I don't get the same result. In the video you can clearly see that the keyboard automatically assigns the timbre of the trumpet to the highest note. I don't think this is possible with our keyboard.

Offline Duffy

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2023, 09:09:23 AM »
We have to admit that the Dexibell does sound very good though,  and that guy produces an orchestral sound that I have never heard matched on any other board  including Yamahas.
I have tried many times to re-create it on my Genos and come nowhere near.  Strangely enough,  the nearest I have achieved is on my Technics KN 7000 but the Technics strings let it down.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 06:20:09 PM »
We have to admit that the Dexibell does sound very good though,  and that guy produces an orchestral sound that I have never heard matched on any other board  including Yamahas.
I have tried many times to re-create it on my Genos and come nowhere near.  Strangely enough,  the nearest I have achieved is on my Technics KN 7000 but the Technics strings let it down.

I'd say I can get a decent orchestral sound out of a Genos
https://youtu.be/yuzhCoAV-FY

esepecially the ending
https://youtu.be/yuzhCoAV-FY?t=300

Mind you, I do have an accompaniment going most of this time, but I set the style volume to low to hear in most of the song. I'll re-record on CVP and crank the style up.

There's a guy on here, Marco Cerbella, using Yamaha Electone Stagea who's *better* than I am, and I'd definitely say he nails an orchestral sound.
https://youtu.be/xEWN1I3SYDo

You'll find both of us (Marco and myself) have been attempting orchestral 1 man bands going back 13-14 years!

Mark

Offline andyg

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2023, 08:51:44 PM »
You can most definitely make Yamaha keyboards sound orchestral! Amongst the things that I have in my repertoire, or have taught to students:

Massenet - Meditation from Thais
Handel - selections from The Water Music
Mendelssohn - Violin Concerto
Clarke - Trumpet Voluntary

And for 'souped up' Classics, one student played several Classical pieces for his Honours in Performance Diploma exam:

Mozart 40 - based on the 1970s Waldo de los Rios version, but extended with more of the original piece
Offenbach - the Overture from 'Orpheus in the Underworld' - his own arrangement
The Red Sarafan - a traditional Russian melody, arranged by me, with a nod to James Last

The Kino Strings, Seattle Strings, Woodwind solos and ensembles, Symphony Horns etc can be used and combined to create some very realistic orchestral colours. As for style use, you'll find that the Freeplay styles are excellent, though you'll need to revoice and rebalance them. And there will be some creative use of Sync Start and Sync Stop, as well as a lot of 'AI Fingered' chords to get the bass lines correct.

To really do the keyboard justice, the player has to have decent knowledge of orchestration, registration and arranging Classical material for arranger keyboard. And the skills to perform it.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2023, 11:28:47 PM »
I think these aren't to bad for an Orchestral sound type. Tweaked onboard styles, a couple of multi-pads and several registrations. Played live and recorded in one take. Yamaha's are really easy to play and do most genres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcOqz-X9ALM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImTZ4A4Blps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoTY4L_jYN8

Genos2, Montage M6, Maschine Micro NI, Cubase 13, Komplete 14 Ultimate, Arturia Analog Lab, HALion7, Groove Agent 5, HS8 Speakers.

keynote

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2023, 12:44:33 AM »
Here is a rendition of the Star Wars main theme song played on the Genos. Using the Orchestral March style in the Classics and Events style section. OTS voices + S.Art Pop Horns Swell JS brass, S.Art2 Trumpet, and the Ensemble Symphony Players voice added with registration. BTW, Marco Cerbella is playing an Electone ELS-02X which was released in 2014 if I'm not mistaken. It has a price tag of around $13,950. OTOH, when the Genos was first released in October 2017 you could get the Genos for $4,200 (tax included) delivered to your doorstep during Yamaha's special introductory offer period if you knew where to look. Now a new Genos is $5,999, but it's still a lot cheaper than the Electone ELS-02X. Furthermore, the Genos includes voices from the Montage and I would assume the Electone line as well. The Genos is very capable of producing authentic orchestral sounds as Mark also demonstrated, although minus style backing since the style he used was at a very low volume because he was trying to showcase the instrument voices primarily. Me too, but with normal volume style backing. The Genos 2 (if Yamaha actually releases a Genos 2) should raise the bar even further soundwise for Orchestral voices and hopefully also Organ, Strings, Pads, Ac. Piano(s), Elec. Pianos, would also be nice. Okay, for the record, I would like to see improvement in all voice categories because as we know there's always room for improvement. Seamless Sound Switching would be icing on the cake. 👍 PS: I noticed a couple anomalies in the song I posted. I uploaded an updated version that addresses them.   

Star Wars Main Theme Song Enjoy!

All the best, Mike
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 03:45:02 PM by keynote »

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2023, 04:10:57 PM »
Good morning,
It is quite possible to achieve this kind of air with the Genos.
Here, I used the voice " "Concert Timpani" which is in the pack that Francisco Massa has offered us and which is called "NEW YEAR PACK 21"
I offer you what is only a test to give you an overview.

https://app.box.com/s/xv7p7psa03yx8aad3p49so9v6n2e5iad

Friendships
Christian

Offline Genos1957

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2023, 06:11:12 PM »
thank you all for the various answers, I simply wanted to understand if the technology used by Dexibell is present in the Genos keyboard. However, I think I understood that this technological aspect is not considered by Yamaha.

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2023, 07:11:02 PM »
Good morning dear friend,

With Genos and a bit of research you can achieve performance roughly similar to Dexibell.
Afterwards, it's all about choice and given the price, it's about not making mistakes at the start and regarding technologies, each brand has its own.
Thus, YAMAHA will not work with that of Korg and the latter will not work with that of the Event.
Holmes said to Watson: Food

Christian

The following users thanked this post: TheBitfiddler

Offline andyg

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2023, 09:34:42 AM »
thank you all for the various answers, I simply wanted to understand if the technology used by Dexibell is present in the Genos keyboard. However, I think I understood that this technological aspect is not considered by Yamaha.

You are proverbially comparing apples and oranges!

The Dexibell is a single manual Classical organ, that also has some excellent orchestral sounds and some nice tricks up its sleeve. It started life as a Roland/Rodgers product - the same instrument with different voicing was available under the Rodgers brand. Both built in the same Italian factory. Roland's withdrawal from the organ market included the end of its tie-up with Rodgers and that left the Dexibell on its own. It's a superb instrument, aimed at a niche market.

The Genos is an arranger keyboard, a jack of all trades that also has some pretty decent Classical organ sounds. (You can, with a little tweaking, also use the Home Organ flutes as straight organ sounds.) Aimed at a very different market.

With instruments as capable as these two, there will be some overlap, but their design teams were thinking along very different lines.

www.andrew-gilbert.com