Author Topic: SYSEX/NRPN not working - Can someone help me please?  (Read 880 times)

Offline DavidGX

SYSEX/NRPN not working - Can someone help me please?
« on: August 24, 2023, 07:10:58 PM »
First of all thank you for any help anyone can give me.

There is something that has made me curious for a long time, I have used sysex/nrpn many times without any difficulties, however, there is something that I have never been able to use.

I'll give a little context on the subject that refers to the EQ:

Since the PSR-730 I remember Insertion Effects and Digital EQ. As time went by things were improved as well as added to the higher models like at the time the PSR-9000/pro Tyros, etc.

From a Master EQ output, DSP EQ, Chorus/Reverb EQ, dedicated EQ for Tracks, and now going even further: EQ for specific notes (Drum Setup).

Here comes the obligatory question: Is this possible? And yes, since the old PCI card SW1000XG there is such an option. In the User's Guide of many keyboards there are information to be applied in the keyboards that appeared later.

Even on keyboards of the type "DGX-650" that are not arrangers, this EQ option appears in the User's Guide.

An sysex explanation comes on the website: http://www.studio4all.de/htmle/main93.html in the table "Note-EQ Settings (only available at a MU90, MU100 or SW1000XG!)"

Reviewing several PDFs, I found in superior models of arrangers of 10 years and even older as in the PSR-9000 talking about it as sysex or NRPN.

Giving reference to something more current, the PSR-SX (any SX) MIDI Data List PDF has the information below, however, as NRPN.

Does anyone know how to use this type of EQ per note on keyboards like PSR-SX like sysex or NRPN?

I'm trying to edit from MIDIWorks YA, which in fact also has sysex (as template), but I don't hear any EQ changes for the designated percussion in sysex, and as NRPN I don't see an explanation.

From SX Keyboard Manual:

30H rrH mmH -- Drum EQ Bass Gain rr : drum instrument note number
mm : 00H-7FH (0…127)

31H rrH mmH -- Drum EQ Treble Gain rr : drum instrument note number

34H rrH mmH -- Drum EQ Bass Frequency rr : drum instrument note number
mm : 04H-28H (32…2.0k[Hz])

35H rrH mmH -- Drum EQ Treble
Frequency
rr : drum instrument note number
mm : 1CH-3AH (500…16.0k[Hz])

Thank you in advance.

Offline overover

Re: SYSEX/NRPN not working - Can someone help me please?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 08:44:41 PM »
Hi David,

please first see this site (scroll down to "3. NRPN Messages (Non-Registered Parameter Number)":
>>> http://www.studio4all.de/htmle/frameset091.html

The basic procedure for using NRPN messages is as follows:

First send the NRPN MSB and NRPN LSB (via CONTROL CHANGE 99 and 98) to specify the parameter which is to be controlled. Then use DATA ENTRY MSB (CONTROL CHANGE 6) to set the value of the specified parameter.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: DavidGX

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 11:49:06 PM »
Hi --

If you are sending SysEx messages from a DAW to an SX700/SX900, then check the MIDI System settings (Reference Manual, page 122). Make sure MIDI SysEx receive is enabled.

You didn't mention which specific keyboard you are using and if you are sending MIDI to the SX from a computer DAW. Also, please post the specific complete MIDI messages that are being sent, e.g., F0,43,10,4C,3N,RR,20,XX,F7, where RR  is the note number and N is the Drum Set-up number (0 or 1). It's easy to miss a simple detail that other people may spot right away.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2023, 12:17:47 AM »
Hi David,

As mentioned, NRPN messages are Controller messages (Control Change / CC), i.e. NOT SysEx messages.

However, I generally recommend to make sure that SysEx Transmit and SysEx Receive are also set to ON. The easiest way to achieve this is to activate one of the preset MIDI templates "All Parts" or "KBD & Style".

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 12:25:42 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline DavidGX

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023, 06:49:18 AM »
I'm using the SX700 and now I'm loading the midi directly from the keyboard to be sure if works or not.

NRPN and sysex like coarse, pitch, pan, track EQ, etc. worked, however, the EQ NRPN/sysex for specific notes does not works.

Can I share my midi files to be tested?

« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 06:51:40 AM by DavidGX »

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 08:28:19 AM »
Hello DavidGX

From SX Keyboard Manual:

30H rrH mmH -- Drum EQ Bass Gain rr : drum instrument note number

31H rrH mmH -- Drum EQ Treble Gain rr : drum instrument note number

34H rrH mmH -- Drum EQ Bass Frequency rr : drum instrument note number
mm : 04H-28H (32…2.0k[Hz])

35H rrH mmH -- Drum EQ Treble
Frequency
rr : drum instrument note number
mm : 1CH-3AH (500…16.0k[Hz])

The syses you mentioned are not available for receive.
See the table in the data list on page 101.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 08:31:42 AM by vlbrgt »
If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

Offline DavidGX

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2023, 02:30:16 PM »
Hello DavidGX

The syses you mentioned are not available for receive.
See the table in the data list on page 101.

Hi vlbrgt, thank you for your answer. I saw in the table, and as I mentioned earlier, I already transferred the midi to the keyboard and it still doesn't work, other sysex/nrpn work but specifically the EQ per note doesn't work.  :-[