Author Topic: Help to modify a style.  (Read 1584 times)

Offline jazzy_beat

Help to modify a style.
« on: June 09, 2023, 12:52:15 AM »
I would be grateful if any Genos keyboard expert could help me with this problem:

I would like to change the volume of some middle notes of the PHRASE2 of the INTRO-3 of a style.

Is it possible to do it on the keyboard or must it be done on the PC with a program..?.

Offline BogdanH

Re: Help to modify a style.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 08:57:09 AM »
This can be easily done on keyboard, but only with User styles:

1. Go to MENU2, open Style Creator and select Rec Channel (on left side of the display)
    Note: channel Rhy2 will be automatically selected (indicated with red color)
2. Press on Phr2 until it turns red (indicating you're editing this channel)
3. Select StepEdit on the top of the display
4. In StepEdit panel you can change each note individually (here you probably wish to change Velocity of particular notes). After changing values, you can listen the result by pressing Play
    See Reference manual (p.86).
5. When you're done, select StepEdit again (to close it)
6. Select Save button on top of the display (to save changed style) and then exit StyleCreator (by pressing X on top right corner)

If you wish to edit built-in (preset) style, then you first need to copy it on USB stick and "unlock" it on PC. After that you copy it back on keyboard to make editing.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: jazzy_beat

Offline jazzy_beat

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 12:40:17 PM »
Thank you very much BogdanH for your help, but the problem I am having is that when I press Phr2 appears a prompt window saying that before "recording" the data of the original style must be deleted...!.

As I explained, my interest is just to modify some parameters of this channel, not to delete and record the whole content.

Is there any way to do it..?

Many thanks in advance.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 02:17:48 PM »
That is correct. You can only alter or add to the Drum track. With all other style tracks you can not do this. You have to delete and then record in what you want fresh.

Offline jazzy_beat

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 02:33:51 PM »
Well, following the advice of BodganH I tried the Style Unlocker program and it worked, I can now modify the parameters of the style.

Thank you all for your help...!.

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 03:41:42 PM »
Hi jazzy_beat,

In many cases it is easier to edit styles on the computer.

In this case I recommend the PC (Windows) program "MixMaster", developed by our forum member Etienne Volbragt:
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/MB/EV_Files/mixmaster.html

Load the style in question into MixMaster and then click on "List View". Use the Marker events as a guide to find the desired style section. If necessary, you can use the filter function (in the right area of ​​the List View window) to hide event types that are not required.

In the "Voices View" window you can see which MIDI channels are used for a given Style Part (e.g. Phrase2). Then you can filter out all other channels in "List View"

In order to reduce the volume of individual note events, you have to change their Velocity values ​​("playing strength"). Note that this is not as easy if a MegaVoice would be used for this Style Part (because different Velocity values may trigger completely different sound variations in MegaVoices).

Finally, save the style with a different name so as not to overwrite the source file.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 03:45:59 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 04:34:42 PM »

In this case I recommend the PC (Windows) program "MixMaster"....

Interesting... Although I use MixMaster occasionally (for special cases), in general I prefer to do it on keyboard if possible. For me it's faster and I can check result immediately. MixMaster is very powerful tool, however user interface isn't really intuitive... to me, it looks like some control panel in nuclear plant  :)

Just sharing my thoughts,
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline jazzy_beat

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 07:53:10 PM »
Hi jazzy_beat,

In this case I recommend the PC (Windows) program "MixMaster", developed by our forum member Etienne Volbragt:
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/MB/EV_Files/mixmaster.html

Many thanks Chris, for your interesting lesson...!

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2023, 08:48:09 PM »
Many thanks Chris, for your interesting lesson...!

Happy to help, jazzy_beat! :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)