Author Topic: speakers compatibility  (Read 2709 times)

Offline rcca

speakers compatibility
« on: June 07, 2023, 07:01:21 AM »
Will the T4 speakers, work on the Geno's?
  Thank you
Cyber Power Intel Extreme, Military MB 4.0/4.5 CPU turbo, 12 GB Memory, GPU Gigabytes 1060 6GB Ram Desktop
Yamaha GENOS 76-Key Flagship Arranger, Technics KN6000

Offline ugawoga

Re: speakers compatibility
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 09:11:31 AM »
  Thank you

No is the answer to that.
You would have to get the Genos ones
If i were you do not buy the over priced battery wired rubbish which sounds toppy and tinny with a carboard boom box.The speaker system is built for transister radio's. :) ;D
It would be a lot cheaper in the long run to get Yamaha HS2 self powered  monitors.
I paid out a £1000 for Yamaha DXR8's but they will last a lifetime with a 6 year guarantee. Great for home and also being 100 watt a channel. They would be great for a party with a couple of subs. For mixing musc i went for Focal Alpha 50's.
The DXR's for coloured sound and the Focal's for flat monitoring.

My best advice is to go to a showroom and listen to the Genos sound system  and then try out self powered monitor speakers.
The Yamaha Genos speakers are over £300 and decent powered monitors are just a little more.
It is a no brainer to go for proper solid monitor speakers for home .
Your ears would love it.
I honestly do not know how Yamaha got away with those satalites and boom box at the cost they charge for them.
To me they are eqivilent to a speaker system for a cheap cd player £30.
Just think if a new Genos comes out that would be all you need just by thinking ahead of yourself and decent speaker system would also be cheaper in the long run as Yamaha seem not to let their speaker systems work for keyboards on different models.
That is my pennies worth if that is any help. ;D ;D

All the best John
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 09:21:53 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 09:52:35 AM »
Hey John :

Several times you told us the quality of the original Genos and/or Tyros speaker set is not acceptable and too expensive.
Is that your personal opinion ?

Best wishes, JH

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 11:10:28 AM »
@John
I couldn't find any info about Yamaha HS2.. is it a typo?

@Jeff
These things are always personal opinions (depending on needs, wishes, price, etc.) and everyone has one. Although I have similar opinion as John, that doesn't mean it applies for everyone -because rrca (thread starter) might have different priorities.
The only positive thing I see about original Genos speakers is, it's very compact solution. But there are at least two important negatives: very expensive (overpriced actually) and can only be used on Genos (if you buy new keyboard, you need to buy speakers again).
I won't go into sound quality or if there's enough power, because that depends on individual needs.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 12:30:10 PM »
Many Many people are quite happy with the Genos speakers. For home players they are fine. Adjust them via EQ for your room setting and try different volumes on the woofer. Have main volume turned to full and adjust the bass to your required taste.
  If you want monitor speakers then the HS5 are very good.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2023, 12:31:07 PM »
Hey Bogdan :

I agree each individual player has her/his speaker demands and needs.
It is up to the keyboard player to make the right choice.

We all know the specs and the price of the original Yamaha high end keyboard new speaker set. It is an option.
This specific speaker set is a personal choice, no obligation.

Best wishes, JH

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2023, 01:01:37 PM »
  Thank you

Hi rcca,

The Tyros4 speaker system (TRS-MS03) is NOT compatible with the Genos. The connection between the Tyros4 and the TRS-MS03 subwoofer consists of two separate cables, i.e. in addition to the mini DIN 8-pin cable, a cinch (RCA) to 6.3 mm TS cable is used, which carries the output signal for the left satellite speaker. With the Genos speaker system (GNS-MS01), on the other hand, everything runs via the 8-pin cable.

Of course, a skilled technician could electrically modify the T4 speaker system to be used with the Genos. However, I would strongly advise against it, because not only is it a relatively large effort, but the sound quality has also been significantly improved with the GNS-MS01. In addition, the mounting clamps for the T4 satellite speakers do not fit the Genos.

Basically, I don't think the sound of the Genos speaker system is bad, especially when it's "just about playing". In order to create professional recordings and mixes, however, I also recommend studio monitor speakers (in addition to good studio headphones).

By the way, I use the Yamaha "MSP5 Studio" active monitor speakers (which unfortunately are no longer manufactured) and a Yamaha "HS8S" active monitor subwoofer.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 01:05:44 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline rcca

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2023, 03:55:23 PM »
Thank every one for your input.
 rcca
Cyber Power Intel Extreme, Military MB 4.0/4.5 CPU turbo, 12 GB Memory, GPU Gigabytes 1060 6GB Ram Desktop

Offline DerekA

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2023, 04:33:34 PM »
Thank every one for your input.

Most of it balanced  :D
I'm here all week

Offline rcca

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2023, 04:58:40 PM »
My keyboards is in home use, KN6000, T4 soon if everything goes the right way for me it will be the Geno's 76.
  rcca

Offline pjd

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2023, 06:06:43 PM »
One reason to go with external monitors is forward (future) compatibility. I don't like proprietary connectors such as the subwoofer DIN.

Plus, it's good to learn and stay with the response of your speakers -- unless you dislike the speaker response to begin with!

All the best -- pj

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2023, 08:29:22 PM »
I personally find the standard Genos speakers quite good in a home environment.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2023, 06:35:46 PM »
Tyros 4 speakers will only work with T1 to T4. Interestingly, the Tyros 5 speakers will work with anything (and sound great attached to our store Pa5x! Much better than the Korg speaker bar). However, on the Genos, everything sounds too bassy, and a bit muffled. The Genos speakers? Sound great. Missing perhaps some really strong bass punch; but it's not needed. As you can see from my youtube channel, that's what I use for monitors while recording. And yes we've tried HS7's, 8's, HS70's, HS80's and msp5's (which are still used today to power music for Diskalviers!)

Mark

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2023, 10:17:18 AM »
@John
I couldn't find any info about Yamaha HS2.. is it a typo? probably!!! ;D Just look at the Yamaha monitor range.  :)

@Jeff
These things are always personal opinions (depending on needs, wishes, price, etc.) and everyone has one. Although I have similar opinion as John, that doesn't mean it applies for everyone -because rrca (thread starter) might have different priorities.
The only positive thing I see about original Genos speakers is, it's very compact solution. But there are at least two important negatives: very expensive (overpriced actually) and can only be used on Genos (if you buy new keyboard, you need to buy speakers again).
I won't go into sound quality or if there's enough power, because that depends on individual needs.

Bogdan
Sorry things have gone forward these day quickly HS51 then or Yamaha range.

To Jeff-- It makes common sense to get a pair of decent speakers  and cheaper in the long run especially when you have paid out  a lot of money for the Genos .
Hopefully when a new Genos comes out this year , i do not have to buy another set of upgrade Yamaha satalites & Boom box.
You pay twice if you change  to a new model, so a decent pair of speakers is common sense to me. Also more pleasant on the lug holes. ::) :P
I just could not get used to the Yamaha cheapo's with that boom box under the table and at £300 they are a rip off in my opinion and those cheap battery wires that is centuries old meant for a Dancette record player lol ;D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 10:40:18 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2023, 03:18:51 PM »
Hey John :

I agree with you one is better of with pro home studio speakers if one wants to do a lot more than just listen to the music one is playing like e.g. editing, mixing and mastering jobs by using a DAW like Cubase. ;)

IMHO many home players are buying an arranger to play and/or to sing their favourite hit songs at home.
They use styles, their two hands ( and feet ) and built in arranger's midi or audio recording features.
They prefer to work with their arranger only and not depend on software progs.

For those people the standard Genos' speakers might be more than enough to have a lot of fun.
I assume real pro home speakers are more expensive than the optional Genos speaker set, am I right ?
I also agree a pro speaker set is usable for a very long time.
In other words one is never obliged to buy a new set of speakers when a new arranger is coming on the market.

Best regards, JH

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2023, 04:22:56 PM »
@Jeff
Nowadays everything is called "pro" (although I haven't see pro toothpick yet), so let's just call them good studio monitors.
About prices... no, good studio monitors for home don't need to be (much) more expensive than Genos speakers. For example:
Yamaha GNS-MS01=300€ -original Genos set

6" & 6.5" studio monitors:
Presonus Eris E7 XT=310€
JBL 306P MKII=400€
KRK Rokit RP7 G4=400€
Yamaha HS 7=460€
-each of these monitors is much better than Genos speakers and can be used on any keyboard or mixer in future. Means, you can consider them as a lifetime buying (unless you have bad luck).
Of course you can decide for smaller 5" monitors if your space (or budget) is limited and they will still sound decent for home use. But if possible, I would recommend 6".

Just my 2c
Bogdan

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2023, 06:59:15 PM »
Also Focal Alpha speakers, what quality for monitors :)
Yamaha HS7 also good.
What Bogdan is saying get your bang for buck and also me. ;D
Yes for £100 extra or so you get a better class of speaker and each one is self powered
A no brainer!!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 07:04:47 PM by ugawoga »

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2023, 07:56:39 PM »
Hey Bogdan :

Yeah, the word " pro "  might not be correct. You are absolutely right. :)

However, thanks to the digital equipment, the digital music instruments and software packs and software knowledge of today ...
the home recording sound quality has been improved a lot but not comparable yet to the results made by professional people and equipment in pro audio recording studio's where pro speakers are very important, I guess.

On the other hand I still love the analogue warm sound quality of the past when the digital era did not exist yet.
Last but not least ...
 I wonder why the Genos' enduser speaker set price is high compared to the prices mentioned in your
last reply.
Is it due to the addition of the subwoofer, maybe ?

Best wishes, JH

Offline rcca

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2023, 04:35:17 AM »
Ordered my new Genos, good price, bought from Guitar Center ,they bought my T4, Genos be in about a week from Guitar Center, Genos speaker set will arrive Monday, today is Fri. From Sweetwater.
Guitar Center does not have the Genos speaker set, strange, the market here is BRUTAL oh well!

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2023, 09:16:28 AM »
@rcca
Congrats for your purchase! I hope Genos will fulfill your expectations :)

Bogdan

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2023, 10:13:00 AM »
 I wonder why the Genos' enduser speaker set price is high compared to the prices mentioned in your
last reply. ...
Look it that way:
Right now Genos is 4400€ and so additional 300€ doesn't look that much. I believe the main reason many decide for original speakers is, because they are made for Genos and so they must be good. And then there's psychological factor... what would you think about these speakers if they would cost 80€? Right!
And again, being a compact solution can also be important factor.
Anyway, if one is lucky enough, there are offers to get Genos Bundle for 4450€ -means, speakers practically for free.

Is it due to the addition of the subwoofer, maybe ?
No. That solution actually saved production costs because only single circuit board for amplifier is used, only one power supply is used, only one 6.5" woofer is used and finally, everything is inside one box.
Calling it subwoofer is actually misleading -technically it's a midrange woofer. Starting frequency of 40Hz looks good in specification, but we should also pay attention on number next to that: -10dB. Honest frequency specification is always given for -3dB falloff... but if Yamaha would do that, then starting frequency would probably be above 60Hz -and that doesn't look that appealing anymore.

I don't say Genos speakers are bad, even I think Genos deserves better. They are just way overpriced -and I stand to that.

Bogdan

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2023, 11:56:44 AM »
Wonder, once the Genos' successor will be available, what the average second hand Genos private sales price will be ?
Hard to say, I guess ... Euro 2500,-- ?  ::)

For the time being the present 2nd hand private price is approx. between Euro 3000,-- and 3500, -- ( in mint condition ) over here which might be a ( too ? ) high price, IMHO.

The 2nd hand Tyros5' price will go down drastically, IMO.

Best regards, JH
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 12:00:46 PM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2023, 04:35:16 PM »
Hi RCCA

Have fun with your new Genos and Get a pair of self powered speakers that will compliment a Rolls Royce of keyboards.
Ask Sweetwater they are great.
I live in UK , but i get great prices on software.

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 07:36:39 PM by ugawoga »

Offline rcca

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2023, 07:59:28 AM »
Well got my rig set up Yamaha speakers and the keyboard Geno's, I love the speaker setup, sounds good for me. The base is good. Almost sounds like my T4, but that's just my opinion.
Speaker setup has a lot of volume for me. I have to keep the sound down. I don't have to blast it. I'm using a expression pedal on it too, from Yamaha.
Wow! A lot of learning curve at Geno's takes for me, thank God for this forum site and also .YouTube,
Happy Father's Day for all you dads, be safe and healthy.
    RCCA

Offline EileenL

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2023, 03:28:14 PM »
Pleased you are happy with the Genos speakers. I have always found mine just fine
 for the home player. We have not all got hundreds of pounds to spend on having rooms sound proofed and buying speakers at hundreds of pounds.
  We just want to sit and play and watch the world go by.

The following users thanked this post: Roshure