Author Topic: sx900 bluetooth function  (Read 1984 times)

Offline motekmusic

sx900 bluetooth function
« on: June 05, 2023, 12:45:51 PM »
Hi,

There are over 10 pages of bluetooth topics and tried to find something similar to this query,so hope have not duplicated
a previous post.
Here is what i want to do.... I have a samsung galaxy 12 inch tablet that also has bluetooth .  I want to know if it is possible
to play a song on the samsung tablet connected to the sx900 and have the sx900 audio record that song.   Otherwise my
normal technique is to hold the mic to the tablet speaker and record the song that way.   Now with bluetooth am a novice
at what it is capable of doing and how to do it.,    BTW  a dgx670 is on order which also will have bluetooth,... and if that is
connected to the sx900  what can i do with it.

any help is appreciated.

thanks

cheers
elaine
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline overover

Re: sx900 bluetooth function
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 04:07:01 PM »
... I have a samsung galaxy 12 inch tablet that also has bluetooth.  I want to know if it is possible to play a song on the samsung tablet connected to the sx900 and have the sx900 audio record that song. ...

Now with bluetooth am a novice at what it is capable of doing and how to do it. BTW a dgx670 is on order which also will have bluetooth,... and if that is connected to the sx900 what can i do with it. ...

Hi Elaine,

The Bluetooth (BT) connection between the tablet and the SX900 can be used (just like the DGX-670) instead of a cable connection to the AUX IN jack.

For BT connection information, see pages 104/105 in the SX900 Owner's Manual. You can adjust the playback volume directly on the tablet/smartphone used and/or with the AUX IN volume control in the SX900 Mixer display (Panel tab > Panel 2 page).

You can record the AUX IN signal (in this case fed in via BT) via Audio Quick Recording. Please see page 85 in the SX900 Owner's Manual and also see the "Notes" on the right-hand side. (Of course, if you play the keyboard at the same time, that will also be recorded.)

P.S.
The BT connection can only be used for the purpose described (direct connection to a tablet/smartphone/computer) to play audio files (e.g. MP3/WAV) instead of an AUX IN cable connection. An audio connection between two keyboards (e.g. SX600 and DGX-670) via BT is NOT possible. For the sake of completeness, it should be said that the BT adapters in Yamaha keyboards only support AUDIO, i.e. no MIDI.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 04:11:35 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline ayeff

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 05:06:41 PM »
Hi,

Chris is mistaken with the functionality of Bluetooth on the SX900.

See pages 104-105 of the owners manual.  I use bluetooth for MIDI connection between both "SongBook+" and "MIDI Wrench" softwares and the SX900!

The SX900 bluetooth can also be used for audio connections with devices that support the A2DP profile.

The only thing it cannot do is stream audio to bluetooth headphones/hearing aids or speakers.

Hope this helps.

Alan.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 05:38:11 PM »
Hi,

See pages 104-105 of the owners manual.  I use bluetooth for MIDI connection between both "SongBook+" and "MIDI Wrench" softwares and the SX900!

The SX900 bluetooth can also be used for audio connections with devices that support the A2DP profile.

The only thing it cannot do is stream audio to bluetooth headphones/hearing aids or speakers.

Hope this helps.

Alan.

Hi Alan,

It would be news to me that the integrated Bluetooth adapter on Yamaha keyboards could also be used for MIDI.

In the PSR-SX manuals I only found references to BT AUDIO. In the MIDI settings, only the options DIN MIDI IN/OUT, USB-to-Host and Wireless LAN (Wi-FI) are mentioned. (See also the attached screenshot.)

You might be using an external Bluetooth LE MIDI adapter like "Yamaha MD-BT01" or "CME WIDI Master" on the DIN MIDI sockets or "Yamaha UD-BT01" on the USB-to-Host terminal or the Yamaha Wireless LAN USB adapter "UD-WL01" (which is installed internally in the Genos)?

@all
Can anyone confirm that the PSR-SX900's internal Bluetooth adapter can also be used to transmit/receive MIDI data? Unfortunately I can't test it myself because I don't have an SX900 and my Genos doesn't have integrated Bluetooth ...  ;)

Edit: The Bluetooth module installed in the SX900 is the "BM23SPKS1NB9-YB03AA" from the manufacturer "Microchip Technology". It supports Bluetooth 5.0 Audio, but don't support Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) MIDI according to this datasheet:
>>> https://www-rlocman-de.translate.goog/datasheet/data.html?di=620903&/BM23SPKS1NB9-YB03AA&_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de

So I still can't imagine that the internal SX900 Bluetooth can also be used for MIDI.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 06:13:35 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Lefty

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 11:59:05 PM »
Hi Alan,

It would be news to me that the integrated Bluetooth adapter on Yamaha keyboards could also be used for MIDI.

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,

When I want to send and receive midi with my SX900, I have to use a USB cabled connection.  I've only been able to send/receive audio over bluetooth.  I'm no expert, but that's my experience so far.

Craig
Yamaha PSR-SX900, Studiologic Numa X 73, Lots of guitars and harmonicas

Online Amwilburn

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 12:57:01 AM »
The sx900 at our store appears to only have bluetooth audio as well (at least, i haven't been able to find anyway to send /receive midi on it).

*however* there are regional differences; for example some models of Roland pianos have bluetooth (midi) in some countries but not in others, so *possibly* Yamaha might do that same?

Alan, whereabouts are you located?

Mark

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 06:25:03 AM »
Thank you

Chris.... have successfully transferred a youtube audio over to my sx900  and that is what i wanted to do.   My query as to using
              a dgx and a 900 was whether i could play a song on the dgx bluetooth and record it as audio on the sx900,, i don't
              do midis or cables.   Also thanks for info that one could do a vocal over that audio.   

Mark, and Alan...  thanks for dixcussing the cable connectivity.. i don't use it anyway,, but it did add some valuable information
                            in case i ever wanted to do something more.

I might add that using that bluetooth to import audio will be making those audio links alot faster, efficient and more balanced than
holding that mic.

thanks again all of you. 

cheers
elaine
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline ayeff

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2023, 10:19:19 AM »
My sincere apologies - Chris was correct in saying I was using a Yamaha BT-01 to connect!  :-[ :-[ :-[

I humbly stand corrrected.

Alan.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2023, 12:25:22 PM »
Bluetooth is really the only thing missing on Genos for me. I'd love to be able to play along with external audio, for figuring out how to play songs I hear and like.

I did try a USB bluetooth adapter, but they never seem to pair properly, and suffered from the dreaded USB hum ...
Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2023, 12:59:21 PM »
Bluetooth is really the only thing missing on Genos for me. I'd love to be able to play along with external audio, for figuring out how to play songs I hear and like.

I did try a USB bluetooth adapter, but they never seem to pair properly, and suffered from the dreaded USB hum ...

Hi Derek,

USB Bluetooth AUDIO adapters cannot be used on the Genos. If you have a Mac computer or an iPad/iPhone, you could stream audio to the Genos via Wireless LAN (Wi-Fi) (instead of an AUX IN cable connection). It also works with Windows PCs, but as far as I know an appropriate driver must first be installed there. I haven't tried it with Android devices yet.

You can also use a Bluetooth Audio Receiver like this:
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Bluetooth-Audio-Adapter-Streaming/dp/B00IQBSW28

Just connect the BT receiver's Cinch outputs to the AUX IN jacks of the Genos, and that’s it. :)

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 01:01:24 PM by overover »

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2023, 01:04:25 PM »
My sincere apologies - Chris was correct in saying I was using a Yamaha BT-01 to connect!  :-[ :-[ :-[

I humbly stand corrrected.

Alan.

That's no problem at all, Alan. Thanks for clarification! :)

Best regards,
Chris

Offline DerekA

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2023, 10:25:53 PM »
You can also use a Bluetooth Audio Receiver like this:
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Bluetooth-Audio-Adapter-Streaming/dp/B00IQBSW28

Just connect the BT receiver's Cinch outputs to the AUX IN jacks of the Genos, and that’s it. :)

Yes that's the kind of thing I tried. But because it had to be plugged into the same mains source as the Genos itself I could not get rid of terrible interference.
Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2023, 11:13:26 PM »
Yes that's the kind of thing I tried. But because it had to be plugged into the same mains source as the Genos itself I could not get rid of terrible interference.

Hi Derek,

I have the previous model (it's a bit larger) of the linked Logitech Bluetooth Audio Receiver and have never had any problems with interference such as mains hum or ground loop hum. The power adapter of the BT receiver only has a two-pole mains connection, i.e. no connection to ground/earth potential. Normally no ground ground loop can occur here.

Please make sure that the signal cable(s) is/are not laid close to the power adapter. Also, one of the signal cables may be defective or poorly shielded, or the power adapter may be defective (and produce the hum).

P.S.
If your BT audio receiver has a cable with a USB type A plug for power supply, I recommend using an external power adapter (with USB A output) in any case. I.e. I would NOT connect the receiver for power supply to a USB-to-Device terminal of the keyboard.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 11:21:08 PM by overover »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2023, 08:51:24 AM »
Thank you for your advice, Chris. I did try quite a few variations and nothing really worked. Perhaps I was just buying poor quality. Anyway I might give it another go sometime.
Genos

Offline pcaetanus

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2024, 06:00:00 PM »
Hi,

Hope this helps.

Alan.

Olá.
Será que não nenhuma forma de ter som nos meus headphones bluetooth, ligando um adaptador/transmissor bluetooth ligado à saída de headphones do teclado?

Google translation by overover:
Hello.
Is there no way to have sound on my bluetooth headphones, by connecting a bluetooth adapter/transmitter connected to the keyboard's headphones output?

@pcaetanus
Please post only in English here, as this is an English speaking forum. Best regards, Chris (overover)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 03:05:47 AM by overover »
Cheers.

Pedro C.