Author Topic: Load the BonusPlayListForPSR-SX700  (Read 1598 times)

Offline HielkeJ

Load the BonusPlayListForPSR-SX700
« on: June 18, 2023, 07:28:27 AM »
I am trying to load the BonusPlayListForPsr-SX700 on my keyboard.
I hereby follow all the instructions I find on the Yamaha website and on YouTube.
No matter what I try, every time I get an error: ‘File not Found, or file name is inappropriate’. I have loaded the latest firmware on my keyboard. I formatted a new USB stick and loaded only the BonusPlayListForPsr-SX700 file on it, but all to no avail. Again and again the above error message.

What can I do now to make it work. Or should I load the file into 'User' and if so, how can I do that?

Offline Divemaster

Re: Load the BonusPlayListForPSR-SX700
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 08:04:11 AM »
Hi HeilkeJ.

Let's see if I can help you here.

Firstly, download the file from the Yamaha official website.
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx700/downloads.html

You will find this file in the downloads section of your pc. Note that it is a ZIP FILE meaning that it is compressed, and will need to be unpacked.

Unzip it to a new folder on your pc. I use the excellent free program called 7-zip.

Now, from the folder you have unzipped it to, copy the Bonus Playlist ONLY from that folder to  a usb stick. It MUST be in the root directory to play (meaning not hidden in any other folder).

Now, go to your SX700. Insert the USB and switch on
Press the playlist button.
Now, at the top of your screen you have a small window probably saying 'Sample Playlist' . Press on that small window. With me so far.. 
Now
Press on the USB 1 window to your left and from your USB stick

Select Bonus Playlist for PSR_SX700.

Then select the Styles from the playlist that you want to access and press Playlist again
You will now see the downloaded files in your playlist. The little window will now say SX700 bonus playlist.

You can have many different playlists for other keyboards. I have about 14. But you MUST unzip them before they will work. The procedure to use them is exactly the same.

Hope that helps. Any problems, come back.

Keith
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 08:28:31 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

The following users thanked this post: tomhscott

Offline Bill

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2023, 09:25:09 AM »
Hi HeilkeJ

Keith has provided a very comprehensive set of instruction, however I would slightly disagree (a little)

Once you have unzipped the compressed file to your PC, you need to copy the complete folder to your root of the USB stick. It will have TSV File and several Registrations but prolly no Styles.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2023, 10:28:20 AM »
Thanks for this Bill.... It's been a while since I did it, and some of the steps have got lost in the mists of my ageing brain!  :)
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline HielkeJ

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2023, 10:41:01 AM »
Hi HeilkeJ.

Let's see if I can help you here.

Firstly, download the file from the Yamaha official website.
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx700/downloads.html

You will find this file in the downloads section of your pc. Note that it is a ZIP FILE meaning that it is compressed, and will need to be unpacked.

Unzip it to a new folder on your pc. I use the excellent free program called 7-zip.

Now, from the folder you have unzipped it to, copy the Bonus Playlist ONLY from that folder to  a usb stick. It MUST be in the root directory to play (meaning not hidden in any other folder).

Now, go to your SX700. Insert the USB and switch on
Press the playlist button.
Now, at the top of your screen you have a small window probably saying 'Sample Playlist' . Press on that small window. With me so far.. 
Now
Press on the USB 1 window to your left and from your USB stick

Select Bonus Playlist for PSR_SX700.

Then select the Styles from the playlist that you want to access and press Playlist again
You will now see the downloaded files in your playlist. The little window will now say SX700 bonus playlist.

You can have many different playlists for other keyboards. I have about 14. But you MUST unzip them before they will work. The procedure to use them is exactly the same.

Hope that helps. Any problems, come back.

Keith

Thxs Keith for your answer. I followed all your steps. Where you talk about ‘Styles’; I think you mean ‘Registrations’. Here I look for Movie&Show —> Fantasia On Greensleeves —> if I select that Registration and push the load button—> I get the message: ‘File not found, or file name is inappropriate’.  And yes, I unzipped the file first. So, thxs for your help but my problem has not yet been solved.

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2023, 12:06:09 PM »
Hi HielkeJ

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm sorry about this....

This is a mystery, because I also now have the same problem

My Bonus SX-700 folder which has worked perfectly up to now, is now showing the same error messages.
Not only that but when I removed it completely from my USB drive, and attempted to reinstall it, I am getting this  ‘File not found, or file name is inappropriate’. message too.

So at this moment, I don't know what has happened here.

If anyone else can suggest a workround for this issue, then can you help please.....I am at a loss what to suggest next. the only thing I can think of is that the Yamaha download is corrupted in some way.   

It's very strange, because I've never had this happen before.

I'll come back later, and will work to see if I can resolve it..

In the meantime why not download the Bonus list for the SX900...That is working fine, and has the Fantasia that you are after.

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/downloads.html#product-tabs

Keith.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 01:23:42 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2023, 12:44:06 PM »
Do you have more than one USB stick inserted. For the playlist to work properly it must be the first stick you insert. It will read USB1.

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2023, 12:53:39 PM »
Hi Eileen.
I don't know about Heilke but I only ever use one stick at a time on a short m/f lead to save socket wear and make it more accessible.
The SX 700 has only one usb whereas the SX 900 as you know has two. So I only ever get USB1.
Thank you.... It's weird this....

I've just reloaded both files from scratch direct from Yamaha USA rather than the UK site, onto another brand new usb. The SX 900 works, but it's having none of it with the SX 700.

I'll give Yamaha UK a ring tomorrow, see if they can help.

Keith
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 08:43:35 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2023, 09:07:38 PM »
Thxs Keith for your answer. I followed all your steps. Where you talk about ‘Styles’; I think you mean ‘Registrations’. Here I look for Movie&Show —> Fantasia On Greensleeves —> if I select that Registration and push the load button—> I get the message: ‘File not found, or file name is inappropriate’.  And yes, I unzipped the file first. So, thxs for your help but my problem has not yet been solved.

When you're copying from the zip file, you must copy the folder PSR-SX700 Playlist to the root of the USB stick.

Then the playlists will work.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2023, 07:14:35 AM »
Hi Fred... Yes, I understand that, but it is not working. There seems to be an issue with the file. If you look at the OP's original post, it explains what's happening.

I've downloaded several playlists from other keyboards but not had this problem before, so I'm familiar with the procedure, but on this occasion, it ain't working.

To recap.... I tried again yesterday, using 2 separate completely fresh downloads from both the UK and USA Yamaha websites.
I also cracked open a brand new SanDisk 32gb usb stick formatted it on the SX700 and unfortunately whilst the Bonus Playlist for the SX900 opened, the one for the SX700 is not opening at all, so it is pointing to the file having an issue.
I'm working on resolving it and will update once I've spoken to Yamaha.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 07:24:55 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline Bill

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2023, 10:10:54 AM »
Hi Kieth & HielkeJ

Are you copying the correct folder. Yamaha seem to be making it more difficult by having to many folders.

You need to copy the “PSR-SX playlist” folder (complete with all the included folders). NOT “Bonus Playlist for SC700”

Readme File / Bonus Playlist for PSR-SX700

(1) Files

PSR-SX700 Playlist (folder) : YES
    ReadMe File (.txt) : YES

(2) How to use Bonus Playlist File
    1. Unzip the download files using preferred computer program.
    2. Copy "PSR-SX700 Playlist" folder onto root folder of USB storage device.
    3. Connect your USB storage device to the USB TO DEVICE termial
    4. Call up Playlist function by pressing [PLAYLIST] button.
    5. Choose the Playlist you want to play by choosing Preset -> User -> USB -> PSR-SX700 Playlist -> folder of your choice -> Playlist file inside the folder
    6. Push [PLAYLIST] button again, and you can see the playlist of your choice.
    7. If you press check mark or load the Playlist Record, PSR-SX700 is ready to play.
    8. Each Playlist Record contains several Registration data to play the song.

(3) Notice
    -Make sure you copy "PSR-SX700 Playlist" folder onto your root folder of USB storage device.
    -Make sure no other USB storage device is connected to PSR-SX700.
    -If you change the name of files/folders, Playlist will not work.

England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline HielkeJ

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2023, 10:53:04 AM »
Hurrah, it works.
What I did, and what I read everywhere is to load the ‘Bonus Playlist for PSR-SX700’ folder to the USB. But now I see I have have to go one step further and load ‘PSR-SX Playlist’ folder on my USB stick. So I deleted everything from my USB and copied only last mentioned folder, and now I don’t get the failure message.

Thanks everyone on this forum who was so helpful. Now I will go on with Registrations.

HielkeJ

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2023, 11:26:54 AM »
Hi Bill and HielkeJ     Hiekel I'm glad youve got it working, because it will save me a **** of a lot of typing !  :)

Good morning to you both   11.10am here in the UK

Firstly THANK YOU for getting back on this...I've literally just come off the phone to Yamaha UK and as always their support is brilliant.

NOT “Bonus Playlist for SX700”    If the word BONUS is in the file.
it won't work.

That's the bit that the techie at Yamaha has said gives everybody the problems. It's caught out many an SX user.

It's not immediately apparent that there is another folder within the downloaded one. It gets even more confusing that they keep referring to the root folder. On a brand new USB stick for most people I suspect, and the tech guy confirms, they won't know what that means, and of course a new formatted stick has zilch on it at all......So Root folder    ??? Yeah....where... what's that?

So with his online assistance and a fresh USB stick and my SX700 switched on, he immediately picked that up as the issue.
If your Playlist screen is showing the word BONUS in front of the rest of the file it won't work. And you can't simply rename it.

Anyway glad it's resolved. Thanks to Eileen who correctly identified that the PSR SX-700 isn't a 2 USB keyboard, so if you're using a hub it can cause problems.

And from the Tech who says to ALWAYS use Windows own extractor to download their Yamaha files. I've used 7 Zip for ages, and never had a problem, but it wasn't playing ball on this one.

And so to you all Bill, Fred, Eileen....Thank you.

I think I'm gonna go and play something now to un-fuddle my brain.  Maybe "Fiddle Faddle".

Keith.

Keith.

Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

The following users thanked this post: HielkeJ

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2023, 11:58:22 AM »
Hi Fred... Yes, I understand that, but it is not working. There seems to be an issue with the file. If you look at the OP's original post, it explains what's happening.

I've downloaded several playlists from other keyboards but not had this problem before, so I'm familiar with the procedure, but on this occasion, it ain't working.

To recap.... I tried again yesterday, using 2 separate completely fresh downloads from both the UK and USA Yamaha websites.
I also cracked open a brand new SanDisk 32gb usb stick formatted it on the SX700 and unfortunately whilst the Bonus Playlist for the SX900 opened, the one for the SX700 is not opening at all, so it is pointing to the file having an issue.
I'm working on resolving it and will update once I've spoken to Yamaha.

There is no issue with the file, as I downloaded it yesterday without problems.

As I said, you just have to copy the correct top folder to the root of the USB.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2023, 03:01:49 PM »
And that's where the confusion is Fred. Because the top folder is called.... as they show it from the Yamaha website.

"BonusPlaylistForThePSR-SX700"

so people  assume that's the one to use.  As we now
know...it's not... They don't make it very clear.
Because they tell you to copy it to the 'root folder'
People look for a folder called Root Folder which of course is not there. . It could be better explained.

Thanks for helping with it. 😊
Keith.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 03:05:25 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline overover

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2023, 03:09:40 PM »
Hi HielkeJ,

welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum!

I read that you have now solved the problem with the SX700 Bonus Playlist. Basically, the following is important for such Yamaha Bonus Playlists to work correctly:

1. The downloaded zip file must be extracted correctly and the correct folder (as described in the contained ReadMe file) must be copied to the root directory of the USB stick. Depending on the unpacking method, an additional folder is created with the NAME OF THE ZIP FILE. And it may be that the zip file also contains a folder with the exact name of the zip file. These folders must NOT be copied onto the stick, but only the folder named in the ReadMe file (which directly contains the genre folders).

2. The name of the folder copied to the stick must not be changed, and the included Registration Bank files (.rgt) must not be renamed or moved. (The included playlist files (.tsv), on the other hand, can be renamed, moved or copied as desired.)

3. The USB stick must be recognized as "USB 1" on the keyboard. This is ensured if it is the only connected stick. At least this stick has to be connected first. (If several sticks are connected when the keyboard is started, they will be recognized RANDOMLY as USB 1 / 2 / 3. Basically, I do NOT recommend working with several USB sticks connected at the same time, because this regularly causes problems with Playlists and Registrations.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 03:24:49 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster