Author Topic: Generating Silence  (Read 1427 times)

Offline alanclare

Generating Silence
« on: May 31, 2023, 04:38:27 PM »
I am trying to play the song Sway, using an arrangement found in a number of the "101 ... Hits for Buskers" series. The one I'm using is 101 Latin Hits for Buskers, and Sway is song No.25.

https://app.box.com/s/g1imgkt59exjnp7fd70zip1himwpeoyh

In the second and third bars of the first line, the accompaniment needs to stop playing for the third and fourth beats. These silences are indicated by the oblique strokes between the chord symbols. (They appear at many points in the song).

I am aware of the SYNC STOP button and have a rough idea of how it works, but I haven't any idea as to how it could be used in this example. Is there a reasonably simple way how I can break into a style which is playing, have X beats of silence, and then start again?

Alan

Re: Generating Silence
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 05:33:44 PM »
Hello Allan,

In this case, with the left key off, I simultaneously press the C C# D keys.
The drums continue to play and not the voices of the style and to continue, I put back my chords for the following measure.

Friendships
Christian

Offline alanclare

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 05:44:27 PM »
Christian

What is “left key off”?

Alan

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 07:04:34 PM »
For vocals, there are R 1, R2, R3 and Left.
The LEFT key must be off.

The following users thanked this post: alanclare

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 09:34:08 PM »
I think he means no lh voice not vocal.
Mike

Offline alanclare

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 11:50:01 PM »
Mike

I am none the wiser as to how I can silence the accompaniment within an active style.

Alan

Offline andyg

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 12:10:37 AM »
With a style running, play 3 adjacent keys - C, C#, D are probably the easiest - and the accompaniment will be silenced but leave just the drums running. Note that if you're also using a sustained Left voice, especially with Left Hold in use, then those three notes will sound, and they'll sound pretty clashy!

If you want everything to stop, then it's a very well placed push on Sync Start (or use a foot switch) to stop things exactly where you want them to. You can then restart by playing the next chord in line.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 01:11:31 AM »
I am none the wiser as to how I can silence the accompaniment within an active style.

Here is my video on how to control the rhythm on a Yamaha keyboard: https://youtu.be/yHWhXTN_dJI

Hope you're wiser after having watched it.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2023, 08:11:07 AM »
If you have sync stop ON while playing a style all the style's sounds will mute immediately you lift your left hand from the keys. Then after the appropriate pause, say 2 beats, start playing the chords again and the style sounds come back as normal as long as you continue to sustain the LH on the keys and don't inadvertently forget you have the SS on! (The latter can be switched off later in the song if no longer needed to minimise mistakes).
John

Offline alanclare

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2023, 09:36:06 AM »
My sincere thanks to you all for your suggestions of the various ways of getting the accompaniment of a song to shut up and then re-start. I confess that I had forgotten the three-adjacent-keys trick to let the drums sound on their own, but it does require Chord Fingering to be set to Fingered (I use Multi Finger). I didn’t know that pressing SyncStart while a style is playing stops it and leaves it ready to be restarted.

The most attractive methods make use of registrations, and here Fred’s video provides a number of ways for doing exactly that.

I am now wiser than I was before I asked the question. Again - thank you.

Alan

Offline andyg

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2023, 12:21:09 PM »
A question I often ask new students who already play is "Do you actually need to use Multi Finger Mode?" If you're playing your own chords and don't use the 'single finger chords' at all, then I'd switch to AI Fingered mode. Accepts all your normal chords and gives you the ability to play slash chords, rootless chords, exotic chords etc.

If they do use 'single finger chords' I'll quickly wean them off! :)
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2023, 12:48:34 PM »
Hi Alan,

In "Function > Menu 1 > Style Setting > Synchro Stop Window" you can set the "Sync Stop" function so that the style playback is only interrupted when you hit a chord very briefly with your left hand. This means that if you hit the chords for a longer time than the set value, the style will continue to play normally, even if you take your hand off the keys again (despite the Sync Stop being switched on). Also see the attached screenshot.

Closing the Style Setting display with the EXIT button saves the setting in the System Setup. And of course the Synchro Stop setting is also memorized in Registrations if the "Style" checkbox is ticked.

Quote from S970 Reference Manual, page 27:

SYNCHRO STOP WINDOW

This determines how long you can hold a chord before the Synchro Stop
function is automatically cancelled. When the [SYNC STOP] button is
turned on and this is set to a value other than “OFF,” this automatically
cancels the Synchro Stop function if you hold a chord for longer than the
time set here. This conveniently resets Style playback control to normal,
letting you release the keys and still have the Style play. In other words, if
you release the keys sooner than the time set here, the Synchro Stop func-
tion works.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)