Author Topic: Genos anti glare screen...?  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Dnj

Genos anti glare screen...?
« on: May 30, 2023, 03:28:13 PM »
Being there isn't a tilt display on genos is anyone using something like this to reduce glare..?
when overhead recessed lighting is right above you on a gig it is surly needed..
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 08:10:29 PM by Dnj »

Offline Divemaster

Re: Genos anti glare screen...?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 10:08:19 PM »
I doubt it would be commercially viable for any company to make a cover at a realistic cost that people would pay.

I have my sheet music reading lamp above my SX screen and there was a lot of glare, so I use a piece of 8"x6"x3mm sheet black plastic (local sign makers will cut you a piece) and use double sided tape (you could use velcro if you gig) to attach it to the bottom of the music rest where the music sits  No more glare. Simple, very effective and at hardly any cost. It works very well.  Just one idea..... might work for you.

Keith.
Korg  PA5X
I also play a Yamaha PSR-SX700
I also own a Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline Dnj

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 10:27:25 PM »
A two tier stand with my laptop above
Cuts down the glare significantly also... Thanx for your suggestion also..  but for the money that the
Genos cost they should have
 Incorporated a tilt screen imo.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 11:42:48 PM »
Tilted screens will also produce glare if lighting is not right.

Offline Dnj

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 01:28:37 AM »
Tilted screens will also produce glare if lighting is not right.

True to a point ...however you have a much better chance to adjust the glare to suit during performance
most times you will find a happy medium,.....heck even my old Technics KN5000 had a Tilt up display.
We will see with upcoming releases..

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 01:17:21 AM »
The marine electronics industry solved the glare problem two decades ago when they introduced Super Twist LCD/LED displays for depth finders, GPS and 3G Radar systems. In fact, the color actually intensifies in direct sunlight and there is absolutely no glare regardless of lighting conditions or angle.

I believe the reason that arranger keyboard manufacturers have not switched to Super Twist technology has little to do with price, but more to do with the minuscule number of consumers that play outdoors. I talked with Yamaha several years ago about this and at the time, they believed that the number of consumers that would be effected was less than 1 percent at most. Not enough for them to worry about, or invest in Super Twist displays and the supporting electronics required.

I solved the glare problem while playing outdoors by purchasing a small, dark green, Gazebo from Walmart. Three sides were blocked off from any light, the front was screened and it zippered shut on one corner. It cost me about $100 and not only did it solve the glare problem, it kept those damned mosquitoes off me and the keyboard as well.

Good luck,

Gary
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, maartenb

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 04:56:46 PM »
Wear sunglasses Lee!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Nice pair  set Uback!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
I am going to slated for this!! :o
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 05:16:13 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

keynote

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 07:07:35 PM »
Most LCDs, such as smartphones and tablets, use a polarizing filter to help you see the screen in bright sunlight. But so do polarized sunglasses, meaning the two essentially cancel each other out, causing your LCD screen to appear dark or completely black when you look at it. OTOH, the Genos LCD screen doesn't appear to have a polarizing filter so in that case you might try polarized sunglasses to see if they improve things when playing the Genos outdoors in bright sunlight.

Sunglasses with amber and brown-tint lenses can also filter out Blue light from LCD screens which helps preserve eye health and can reduce eye strain. Wrap-around sunglasses also help to shield out light from the sides, needless to say. Expensive sunglasses don't necessarily mean better but many higher-end sunglasses do have better quality optics resulting in better visuals. Get sunglasses with 100% UVA & UVB protection if possible. If you need prescription sunglasses Costco is a good option since they have a variety to choose from at a decent price.

All the best, Mike

Online Bill

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2023, 09:56:22 AM »
Never mind all the sunglasses and hype.
Simply buy some cheap artist foam board and make your own cover. Easy, Cheap and effective. Cut it to shape (3 pieces) and glue them together. Easy to purchase from any Craft Store or hobby store. If not use Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foamboard-5mm-A4-Black-Pack/dp/B0BB49HG6J/ref=sr_1_38_mod_primary_new?crid=175H1D8DK7HUW&keywords=foam+board&qid=1685782275&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sprefix=Foam+%2Caps%2C81&sr=8-38
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2023, 10:41:28 AM »
Thank all that is holy.

The voice of sense from Bill
!

I mean.....All this fuss about such a simple thing to find a solution to.
I'm quite happy with my piece of black Perspex. Cost me about 30 cents.....

Whatever happened to the DIY skills and plain old fashioned common sense. that we were all born with....It's almost embarrasing to see how big a deal this is.....IT ISN'T !!!

When you bought a new car....... Did you get sunglasses thrown in in case the sun dared to shine while you were driving?
When you bought a Vacuum Cleaner did you expect to get a maid to push it for you?

And when you bought your Genos/SX or whatever, didn't you check this out BEFORE you bought it?

Just MAKE something....IT's SO SO EASY......instead of whining about it. Play the blooming thing, stop finding faults with it.

I am sometimes ashamed of my fellow human beings....I really am. Use that BRAIN !

Keith.
Korg  PA5X

The following users thanked this post: colas musique

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2023, 10:46:03 AM »
Necessity is the mother of invention! :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2023, 02:34:50 PM »
Your saying that someone who bought a car that had a flaw in the windshield right in the line of site, should just let it slide and shift their backside in the driver seat to look around the flaw? It's the same thing

That's not what I said Lee so check my post.

What I DID say was that I and others suggested various ways to you of solving this very minor issue at a relatively small cost. My solution cost about $0.50 cents it's matte black and the same material as the music rest, so actually you simply wouldn't know that it's not part of the original music rest. Why would you even bother looking at it?

It is just that. A MINOR issue.....but you seem to have got very hot under the collar about it.

Your argument is with Yamaha, not the good people of these forums. On this one, I disagree that it's such a big deal. It is solvable, and with care, it doesn't need to look shabby given some care and tool skills. I think I spent about 2 hours on mine. It looks great.

Most people I know go to concerts and shows to see the performance...not the instruments. The keyboard or horn or piano or violin is a tool.....nothing more.  Some of the biggest rock bands in history have played fantastic sets with setlists and bits of paper taped to guitars, music rests and all the rest. So what...Does anyone really care about that?  No, of course they don't. They are 'working instruments'. There to be used, not ogled over.

With respect, you feel differently, I'm fine with that..... so that's it. Nothing more to say . I think we're done on this one.
Give Yamaha a call......and good luck.  :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 02:36:35 PM by Divemaster »
Korg  PA5X

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2023, 09:20:25 PM »
Why can't Yamaha update the Genos to have a screen choice that is similar to that of the Kindle book reader.
White sheet background and black writing.
So what ,it would not look pretty but for guys on the road it would make common sense especially in the sunny climes.
Other than that update the Genos and put an  extra plug hole in the casing and use a plugin VR headset!! 8) ;D
If you use VR , make sure that you are at the right party!! ::) :P ;D

All the Best
John 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 09:23:42 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2023, 11:29:36 PM »
Keith, I made a hood for my display when I purchased my PSR500 and had an outdoor job with no shade a month after I bought the keyboard. Just a small piece of black cardboard, shaped look an air scoop on a hot-rod car. Worked like a champ, but I still could not see the dimly, LED button lights until the sun went down, therefore I had to wing it and work with what I had at the time.

As for common sense, my dad, who was a big rig truck driver all his life and having to contend with a lot of real idiots on the highways, had two sayings that seemed to apply: "The average person is well below average" and "Common sense is pretty uncommon these days." Dad was pretty damned smart!

I have not tried reading my Amazon reader outdoors in direct sunlight, but I'm guessing it will not do as well as Super Twist displays. You will find some information on Super Twist at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STN_display

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2023, 11:47:01 AM »
Thanks for this Gary.
I come from an age where you didn't chuck stuff out when it broke, you took it apart, found what was wrong with it, and fixed it. My grandfather was an engineer, and I was a commercial diver for years. Sometimes you just have to improvise!
The bottom 'boss' line was... Bring me solutions not problems. As you rightly say, sometimes you just have to wing it.
I'll take a look at that Super Twist info.
Thank you!
Keith

Korg  PA5X

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2023, 05:13:08 PM »
Keith, I was a diver in the US Navy, then a commercial diver right after I was discharged in 1960. Back then, Chesapeake Bay waters were clear enough to support 20-foot visibility, but not long after, the waters of the bay became so polluted that visibility dropped to zero in most locations. I stopped diving when I could not see what I was doing - just seemed too dangerous.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2023, 10:17:46 PM »
I know exactly where you're coming from Gary. Sometimes visibility is a definite hazard, and only a fool stays down in zero viz.
I left diving in 1987 due to losing my first wife and two our 5 children. I couldn't take the risk of leaving my surviving children without a parent.   Tough times.
All the best.
Keith
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 02:01:05 AM by Divemaster »
Korg  PA5X

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2023, 12:22:31 AM »
I know exactly where you're coming from Gary. Sometimes visibility is a definite hazard, and only a fool stays down in zero viz.
I left diving in 1987 due to losing my wife and two our 5 children. I couldn't take the risk of leaving my surviving children without a parent.   Tough times.
All the best.
Keith

*** I'm so sorry to hear that. It's been 35 years, but I'm sure a loss like that leaves an indelible mark

Mark

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2023, 01:20:40 AM »
Hello Keith :

Like Mark, I am so sorry to hear that. I really do not know what to say ...

JH
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 02:07:48 AM by Jeff Hollande »

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster