Author Topic: Tyros 2 Mono output on main line out?  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Terrum

Tyros 2 Mono output on main line out?
« on: May 04, 2023, 07:06:02 PM »
I usually only use the speakers that come with the Tyros 2, but today I tried to use the main line out jacks on the back of the keyboard to plug the keyboard into my amp, but it seems that no matter which jack I use (L or R) they both output in mono.

I checked this by playing a stereo wave sample which I imported onto a voice. The stereo wave sample is simply a voice that says 'left' and 'right' on the appropriate channels. On the Tyros speakers it plays the sample without issue, but on the jacks it plays the sample on both outputs, even if I just leave one jack in, so one speaker is playing both L and R.

I'm not sure if there is something physically wrong with the keyboard or if there is a setting I can look at but I have spent many hours trying to look through settings, trying different cables, and even making sure that it wasn't an issue with my amp - the Tyros is definitely outputting both channels into L and R for some reason.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions, tips, help, etc are all greatly appreciated! :)

Offline mixermixer

Re: Tyros 2 Mono output on main line out?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 08:00:17 PM »
try playing the demo on the keyboard and see if you can hear in stereo, otherwise try the headphone out, note you need TRS to dual TS if testing out the headphone out.

Also try panning the voices using the built in mixer function.

The following users thanked this post: Terrum

Offline Terrum

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 02:05:40 PM »
try playing the demo on the keyboard and see if you can hear in stereo, otherwise try the headphone out, note you need TRS to dual TS if testing out the headphone out.

Also try panning the voices using the built in mixer function.
Hi mixermixer, thanks so much for your response.

It's a bit difficult to tell with the demo as it does not really have any substantially stereophonic parts to help differentiate between the two channels.

The 'Phones' jack on the front I use with my headphones regularly and this does not have the issue (aka. the left and right channel test works fine through this jack).

I tried panning the voices using the mixer function and it still outputs in mono, or at least very slightly stereo because if I listen carefully enough you can hear it is slightly louder on the left/right channels but still being played audibly on all channels. The fact that I have used several cables also makes me think it is either a software or hardware fault (hopefully not the latter).

Any further suggestions and help are greatly appreciated! Thank you so much :)

Online overover

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 02:33:53 PM »
Hi Terrum,

First of all, please make sure that you use unbalanced cables with standard TS plugs to connect to the Tyros2. (If TRS plugs are used, the Ring and Sleeve contacts must be bridged).

If only ONE cable is connected to the Line Out Main "L / L+R" jack (i.e. the Line Out Main "R" jack is NOT used), both stereo channels are summed to a mono signal.

If only the "R" jack has a cable connected (i.e. the "L / L+R" jack is NOT used), you will only hear the RIGHT stereo channel.

If BOTH jacks are used (and connected to a stereo sound system), the right and left stereo channels are output separately.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Terrum

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2023, 02:54:08 PM »
Hi Terrum,

First of all, please make sure that you use unbalanced cables with standard TS plugs to connect to the Tyros2. (If TRS plugs are used, the Ring and Sleeve contacts must be bridged).

If only ONE cable is connected to the Line Out Main "L / L+R" jack (i.e. the Line Out Main "R" jack is NOT used), both stereo channels are summed to a mono signal.

If only the "R" jack has a cable connected (i.e. the "L / L+R" jack is NOT used), you will only hear the RIGHT stereo channel.

If BOTH jacks are used (and connected to a stereo sound system), the right and left stereo channels are output separately.

Best regards,
Chris
Hi Chris, thank you so much for that information.

As far as I can tell the plugs are TS unbalanced as there is only one black line on each plug. To be super certain I've ordered a new cable from here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ZNJQ6FV which mention both 'TS' and 'Unbalanced'. If this doesn't solve the issue then at least it will help rule out some causes, I hope?

Anyway I will update this thread as soon as I can. Until then any further help is always greatly appreciated! :)

Thank you once again!

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2023, 04:17:17 PM »
The problem you are experiencing is not at all unusual. In order to hear stereo from the keyboard's onboard sound system, or secondary sound system, you must be sitting directly in the center of the keyboard and relatively close to the keyboard itself. The farther away you sit, the more you will tend to hear mono.

The same problem exists with most PA systems. There is a 45 degree cone of sound that most traditional PA systems have in common. Therefore, if the stereo PA speakers are placed 20 feet apart on stage, stereo is only heard by those audience members that are positioned within 20 feet of the speakers and in the center of the cone. All other audience members will hear either the right, or left speaker dominantly, depending on which side of the room they are situated.

Now, if I recall, the Tyros II does not have an onboard speaker system, and relies on outboard speakers. Try placing them farther apart, about 5 to 6 feet on each side of the keyboard. This should make a huge difference. Additionally, if you are using a crossover sub, place it on the floor directly beneath the center of the keyboard. You will be amazed at what you hear.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Terrum

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 02:19:47 PM »
The problem you are experiencing is not at all unusual. In order to hear stereo from the keyboard's onboard sound system, or secondary sound system, you must be sitting directly in the center of the keyboard and relatively close to the keyboard itself. The farther away you sit, the more you will tend to hear mono.

The same problem exists with most PA systems. There is a 45 degree cone of sound that most traditional PA systems have in common. Therefore, if the stereo PA speakers are placed 20 feet apart on stage, stereo is only heard by those audience members that are positioned within 20 feet of the speakers and in the center of the cone. All other audience members will hear either the right, or left speaker dominantly, depending on which side of the room they are situated.

Now, if I recall, the Tyros II does not have an onboard speaker system, and relies on outboard speakers. Try placing them farther apart, about 5 to 6 feet on each side of the keyboard. This should make a huge difference. Additionally, if you are using a crossover sub, place it on the floor directly beneath the center of the keyboard. You will be amazed at what you hear.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)
Hi Gary, thanks a lot for your response!

I'm fairly certain this is not the case here, as the sample I am using plays a voice solely on the left channel, then the right channel. With both the Tyros' speakers and the headphones I'm using, I can hear clearly that the voice is spoken in those channels only, but when I have the amp's speakers close together, or even lightly feel their cones, I can hear and feel them vibrating on all channels and not their designated channel.

Anyway the cable from Amazon is supposed to come tomorrow so hopefully I can test it and update this thread at that time.

Many thanks and any further suggestions/tips/help is continued to be appreciated as always! :)

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2023, 04:42:36 PM »
The cables must be a 1/4-inch mono cables, one to each speaker from each of the separate outputs - not TRS, which is stereo.

Good luck,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...