Author Topic: Yamaha Genos - Should you buy one?  (Read 4170 times)

Offline Dnj

Yamaha Genos - Should you buy one?
« on: May 22, 2023, 03:20:26 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4zhEPzj_rM

I was watching this Leigh Wilbraham video on Genos interesting thoughts...what do you think?

Offline BogdanH

Re: Yamaha Genos - Should you buy one?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 03:51:38 PM »
".. when you buy a Yamaha, you're not just buying a box.. you're buying a loyalty.. a brand where customers a loyal.."
-I stopped watching after I heard this fluff.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline soryt

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 05:51:40 PM »
Only if it is Genos II ( for me )  8) , tired for waiting so long  :'(
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 06:26:22 PM »
Interesting video, he makes some good points and is very knowledgeable (on a lot of brands) . A pity Mr. Fluffy did not listen and watch the video, he definitely would have learned something. :)

Genos2, Montage M6, Maschine Micro NI, Cubase 13, Komplete 14 Ultimate, Arturia Analog Lab, HALion7, Groove Agent 5, HS8 Speakers.

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 07:07:12 PM »
I don’t get the impression that Leigh is a big proponent of blind loyalty to a corporation like Yamaha. He certainly makes criticisms about Genos and SX900 when he feels it’s warranted. I think his comment is more about the advantages of Yamaha’s larger expansion ecosytem for musicians than Korg for example. Before I made my decision to buy Yamaha I noticed Korg was more lacking in expansion resources.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

Offline Dnj

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 07:27:07 PM »
Another question I have is why Genos is still retailing at $5999.99 US after all these years...?
shouldnt there be some sort of discount after all this time on the market..Genos released on 31 August 2017 and From November 2017, Genos was available for purchase in music stores.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 07:30:17 PM »
Genos' Successor :

Wonder if Yamaha will continue their expansion packs etc.  ::)

JH

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 10:29:18 PM »
Genos' Successor :
Wonder if Yamaha will continue their expansion packs etc.  ::)

All Yamaha has to do is make sure the current Genos packs will work in the Genos 2 keyboard. Then add a bunch more new ones. Hopefully with Styles parts that are 8 measures long in the MAIN C and D parts of the new styles.

Drake

Online Oxford1035

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 11:13:48 PM »
Leigh is more concerned with pushing videos about the Genos for his own gain. It’s a way of enticing people to join his “club” which isn’t cheap btw

keynote

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2023, 01:18:45 AM »
I have listened to several of Leigh's YouTube videos and they are quite intriguing. He goes into detail on specific subjects and walks you through different how-to's of various features and functions. Leigh has personal experience playing the Korg Pa5X, and has of course heard some Ketron Event demos while mentioning he thinks the Event is the only other arranger currently that comes close to matching the Genos in sound quality. I have to agree with his assessment. The Korg Pa5X has some great Pad sounds and really nice Strings and excellent Ac. Pianos but overall Leigh prefers the Genos. That is worth noting since Leigh has tons of experience as a musician and keyboardist therefore his advice is from a professional viewpoint. Whatever you play, enjoy what you play!

All the best, Mike
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 01:20:37 AM by keynote »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2023, 09:45:14 AM »
Another question I have is why Genos is still retailing at $5999.99 US after all these years...?
shouldnt there be some sort of discount after all this time on the market..Genos released on 31 August 2017 and From November 2017, Genos was available for purchase in music stores.

Simple answer - it retails at the price which people are still willing to pay. As soon as people stop buying it, the price must fall.

Offline Dnj

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2023, 01:54:37 PM »
Simple answer - it retails at the price which people are still willing to pay. As soon as people stop buying it, the price must fall.

Would you pay full price for a 6 YEAR OLD car for its original retail price? ???
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 03:04:48 PM by Dnj »

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2023, 03:02:01 PM »
Would you pay full price for a 6YEAR OLD car? ???

Depends on the definition of the word OLD.

OLD, as in USED for 6 years.  No, not a chance
Or
OLD meaning supplied to a dealership, unopened, and still in mint condition, still in its original box with all original Yamaha accessories.
Well maybe.
But in both cases it's still 6 year old technology.
Depends what you like to play, and if the Genos fits the bill.
For me, the SX series are plenty good enough for my level of playing.
I wonder how many Genos wannabees could actually use them to their full potential.

Keith
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 03:03:40 PM by Divemaster »
Korg  PA5X
I also play a Yamaha PSR-SX700
I also own a Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline mikf

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2023, 03:51:45 PM »
Would you pay full price for a 6 YEAR OLD car for its original retail price? ???
It’s not 6 years old just because it’s 6 years since it was originally launched. The one you buy might only have rolled off the manufacturing line last week.
We pay full price all the time for products that have not changed in years.
Mike

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2023, 04:23:12 PM »
It’s not 6 years old just because it’s 6 years since it was originally launched. The one you buy might only have rolled off the manufacturing line last week.
We pay full price all the time for products that have not changed in years.
Mike

I know just what you're saying here, I bought mine about 9 months ago and it was brand new so I class it as a 9 month old keyboard to me. It doesn't bother me when it was released because if you've not experienced it before then you need to class it as new I think.

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2023, 07:04:49 AM »
Hi Donny, he also did a clip where he was raving about the quality of the sx900. Gave it a pretty good review also.

Are you in between keyboards at the moment 😀
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2023, 10:48:37 AM »
I think at the end of the day it’s down to ‘You and what you want of expect from an arranger’ and of course what budget you have. What does the model of arranger have that your existing model dosnt. Are you going to use the new features that is offered. Secondly have you exhausted every single sound and feature that your existing arranger has.

How many styles or sounds never actually get used before moving on to the next model.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2023, 01:03:27 PM »
All very good questions. I bet an awful lot of members have never even looked at what can be done with there keyboards and how to use a lot of the features.

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2023, 01:14:27 PM »
All very good questions. I bet an awful lot of members have never even looked at what can be done with there keyboards and how to use a lot of the features.

Totally, and I can admit to being one of those, but the beauty is knowing it's there if I decide to use them.

This is where sound judgement is made on the part of the buyer, for example, let's take both Yamaha and Korg and their latest offerings:

Genos, SX900, SX700, SX600

or

Pa5x, Pa1000, Pa700, Pa600 or Pa300

From top to bottom, all those arrangers will have both things, a) something in common and b) nothing in common.

A person just needs to look through the specs of each and decide what they can and cannot do without, and make your purchase choice from there.

That's how I would look at it anyway.

Offline Dnj

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2023, 01:21:14 PM »
Hi Donny,
Are you in between keyboards at the moment 😀

Rikki thanx for asking.... I wouldn't say "in between at the moment"  ( I do have a MOTL arranger I use as a scratch pad etc, at home  ) as I have had them all just about  Genos, Pa4x, Ketron and many a few times over regretting letting them go. However now with basically only three TOTL units available which narrows down the choice & at 70yrs old I might have to make that "Forever Arranger KB choice" one more time & really have to look at MY needs going forward for my own sanity & enjoyment playing it.

Take care
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 01:23:58 PM by Dnj »

Offline pjd

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2023, 05:16:53 PM »
Depends on the definition of the word OLD.

People had better ditch those Stradivarii. They are ooooooooooooooolllldddd!  ;D

Like me -- pj

Offline musicman01

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2023, 05:46:51 PM »
Hello,
Just a response to some comments!
Leigh is a sincere person who dares to speak his mind honestly and openly, and he is not tied to any brand let that be clear.
On top of that he is an excellent musician!
As for Genos, it's still the best arranger keyboard.
I have a new Korg Pa5x 76 as a second keyboard, for a keyboard in 2022, Korg has not surpassed the Genos at all, even though the Genos is from 2017.
The Pa5x has a great exterior and keyboard, and has taken a cue from Genos in terms of operating system.
Dual style player, Smooth transition, good drawbars and some good pianos.
Furthermore, Korg is lagging behind with the Pa5x!!!
Why does Yamaha have to be quick to release a new one???
I'm just waiting for the next Pa5x update, if it doesn't meet the requirements it's for sale!!
I got my Genos three weeks after it came out in November 2017, and I'm still not ready for a new Genos II !!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 05:52:57 PM by musicman01 »

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2023, 05:48:40 PM »

As for Genos, it's still the best arranger keyboard.

Lets remember now that it's just an opinion :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 05:50:30 PM by Danny1972 »

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2023, 06:38:09 PM »
Lets remember now that it's just an opinion :)

Hey Danny :

You have them all : Event, PA5X and Genos. 
You are the only member of this forum who owns these 3 high end arrangers.

What is your impression ?

Thanks for your reply ! :)

Best Wishes, JH

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2023, 08:21:50 PM »
Hey Danny :

You have them all : Event, PA5X and Genos. 
You are the only member of this forum who owns these 3 high end arrangers.

What is your impression ?

Hello Jeff,

There's a lot of members here I am sure I can't be the only one with all 3.

The question you ask is not straight forward to answer. I could answer it in greater detail but I am also mindful that we are on a Yamaha forum and I try not to discuss too much about the other brands, but of course if specific questions are asked about any of the 3 I would answer them as honest as I can.

They are 3 very different arrangers and for me it's impossible to pick one standout one because all 3 have something exclusively amazing about it, but if I had describe each 3 using one word would probably go like this:

Genos - Addictive!
Pa5x - Versatile
Event - Live!

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2023, 07:00:51 AM »

There's a lot of members here I am sure I can't be the only one with all 3.

I am almost sure you are the ONLY member who owns the Genos, the PA5X and the Event.  ;)
JH
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 07:11:40 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2023, 04:14:55 PM »
Hi Jeff,
  The only way you will get your answer is to try all three for yourself and then you can tell us the answer.