Author Topic: usb hub  (Read 1082 times)

Offline john1509

usb hub
« on: May 23, 2023, 07:01:42 PM »
hello everone. i have a usb hub connected to my sx700. with 3 usb drives plugged  into it. one usb has styles. one has registrations and the other has mfd files. the question is. can i copy them all onto one pen drive. and just use the one. all so how do i set the file format ie do they have to go into certain folders or just copy them all loose onto the drive. thanks

Offline Divemaster

Re: usb hub
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 07:34:41 PM »
Hi John

I just use ONE 16Gb stick on my SX700, and  so far I have only used about 4Gb of it, despite it having a huge selection of styles, registrations, playlists, gig sets, and much much more.
I've experienced no issues at all.

If you go this route BACK UP THE WHOLE Stick so that you always have a safe copy.... Just in case.

I use SanDisk Cruzer 16gb sticks in different colours to organise my music.

Always use a short M to F USB cable in the USB port. Mine is about 12 inches in length. It avoids constant wear on the built in usb port.

Just copy them as they are. Keep your sticks until you've completed the transfer successfully.

Keith.
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 08:40:48 PM »
Good advice from Keith. Use one stick, and just make a folder for styles, one for registrations and so on. And yes, back it all up often!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster

Online overover

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2023, 09:57:41 PM »
Hi John,

I strongly recommend only plugging in one USB stick at a time, especially when working with Registrations. If you connect three USB sticks one after the other, they will be recognized as follows:

- First stick: USB1 (Drive Letter in Registrations "I:/")
- Second stick: USB2 (Drive Letter "J:/")
- Third stick: USB3 (Drive Letter "K:/")

If two or three sticks are connected at the same time (e.g. when starting the keyboard with the USB Hub connected or when plugging in the Hub during operation if several sticks are already connected), it is purely RANDOM which USB number or which Drive Letter each stick gets. As a result, there is a high risk that Registrations in which external files are linked (e.g. styles on one of the USB sticks) will no longer work (because the style cannot be found due to the currently changed drive letter of the USB stick in question).

Of course you can copy all files from these three USB sticks to one stick. I recommend doing this on the computer. It is important that you have/create a meaningful folder structure for your files on the stick, e.g. main folders such as "Styles", "Registrations", "Multi Pads", "MIDI Songs", "Audio Songs", "User Voices", etc., and subfolders as needed. You should only save files directly in the root directory of the USB stick, i.e. outside the folders, in exceptional cases.

If you copy files directly on the keyboard, you have to be in the "correct" File Selection display in order to see files of a certain type. If you (on the keyboard) want to copy an entire folder that contains different file types, you would have to copy this folder several times, i.e. separately in each File Selection display. So it's best to copy everything on the computer and, as mentioned, each time use a main folder per file type on the USB stick.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 09:59:43 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline john1509

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2023, 08:41:52 PM »
thank you chris. and everone else thats put me on the right path. have copyed everthing onto one usb now all named in there folders. took a while to do it tho. didnt realise how many styles and songs i had. as am allways adding. thank you guys

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2023, 09:43:34 PM »
Glad you've got it done.  Happy playing and back up as you add more info. Keeping a copy on your pc is your safeguard.

Keith
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner