Author Topic: Mating psr-ew425 to P-90  (Read 1545 times)

Mating psr-ew425 to P-90
« on: May 29, 2023, 04:53:47 AM »
Would it be possible to connect the psr-ew425 to my old Yamaha P-90 and use the P90 as the controller and using the styles of the 425 as 'back up band?'
Thanks,

Strideplayer

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: Mating psr-ew425 to P-90
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 04:03:02 PM »
The p90 does support midi in. But the EW has a USB setup.
Not sure if you can use a Type B to MIDI din setup.
At least with master and slave setup.

Norman
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Online overover

Re: Mating psr-ew425 to P-90
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 04:43:51 PM »
Would it be possible to connect the psr-ew425 to my old Yamaha P-90 and use the P90 as the controller and using the styles of the 425 as 'back up band?'
Thanks,

Strideplayer

Hi Strideplayer,

With larger keyboards (e.g. PSR-S/SX series) it would not be a problem to control the internal automatic accompaniment from an external keyboard. As far as I know, this is unfortunately not possible with the PSR-E/EW models.

Pages 54/55 of the PSR-E473/EW425 Owner's Manual include the following:

Using with a computer or smart device

By connecting a computer or smart device such as a smartphone or tablet to the [USB TO HOST] terminal, you can do the following.

• Transfer files, such as Songs and Styles
   • Send and receive MIDI data
   • Send and receive audio data (USB Audio interface function)
   • Use smart device apps

Sending and Receiving MIDI Data
You can listen to MIDI files played on a computer or smart device through the instrument's speakers, or send a performance on the instrument as MIDI data to a computer or smart device.

It is possible to connect an external, so-called "USB MIDI Host Box" to the [USB TO HOST] terminal of the EW425 and then connect the MIDI OUT of an external keyboard to the MIDI IN of this USB MIDI Host Box via a DIN MIDI cable. But the EW425 doesn't have a user-editable MIDI Setup, so that you could can play at most one voice of the EW425 live via MIDI from the external keyboard, but you cannot control the automatic accompaniment, i.e. the Style.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 04:47:46 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)