Author Topic: User Memory Utillization  (Read 1040 times)

Offline akahky

User Memory Utillization
« on: May 19, 2023, 09:48:12 AM »
Hello All,
    I am just wondering if you know how is the user memory utilized in Yamaha PSR-A5000, I just installed a voice expansion and noticed that the user storage did not change, if the expansion is not installed on the user storage memory how can I check the available or unused storage after installing a voice expansion?

Offline BogdanH

Re: User Memory Utillization
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 10:03:02 AM »
hi,
See Reference manual page 123 and 124.

P.S.
Info above won't show how much storage space is occupied by voices (at least it doesn't on PSR-SX keyboards). According to specification, A5000 has about 1GB memory space reserved for voices. When you create/compile expansion pack installation file in YEM, you can see how much space is required (the bar on top of YEM: Voice Wave Size).

Bogdan
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 10:17:09 AM by BogdanH »
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline akahky

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 05:58:12 PM »
Thanks for the reply, the same thing in PSR-A5000 the mentioned screen does not show the memory occupied by the voices

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 06:57:58 PM »
Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, akapy!

The PSR-A5000 has two separate internal Memory types:

1. The "internal Flash Memory" (~2GB) in which the "User drive" is located. The user-defined system settings are also stored here.

2. The "Expansion (Wave) Memory" (~1GB). The wave (sample) data of the voices from the individual Expansion Packs are stored here during the Pack Installation process. All other files from the packs (e.g. style files, registration bank files and the .vce files for calling up the Expansion Voices) are copied to the "Expansion" folder in the User drive during Pack Installation (i.e. NOT to the Expansion (Wave) Memory).

You can only see the current allocation of the Expansion (Wave) Memory in the YEM on the computer. I recommend exporting the Instrument Info file (.n27) from the A5000 to a USB stick again and importing it again into the YEM. (Delete the previous A5000 Install Target from the YEM beforehand.) The latest YEM version should always be used (currently V2.9.0).

If you click on your Install Target (PSR-A5000) in YEM and the packs that are installed (or should be installed) are selected, you will see the required "Voice Wave Size" in the top left (the value to the left of the slash). To the right is the maximum possible value (each in MB). By clicking on "Voice Wave Size" you can switch to "User Drive Size" to see how much space is required / occupied there.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 07:02:48 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)