Author Topic: Rumor has it Yamaha will no longer produce arranger KBs?  (Read 5830 times)

Offline Dnj

Rumor has it Yamaha will no longer produce arranger KBs?
« on: May 18, 2023, 06:35:44 PM »
I am hoping that what I am hearing thru the grapevine that this is NOT the case. :-\
 I guess due to the fact it has been SO LONG since we've seen anything new released this could be why people are thinking this way...?........

Thoughts?

Offline DrakeM

Re: Rumor has it Yamaha will no longer produce arranger KBs?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 06:43:20 PM »
So I guess Yamaha would be selling off that division to some other company. I wonder who it will be?

Offline Dnj

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 06:54:16 PM »
Yamaha produces many more musical instruments and gear arrangers are just a small part of it weather they continue or not.. no one really knows for sure at this point. many loyal fans would like to hear some kind of definite news instead of being in the dark.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 07:16:12 PM by Dnj »

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2023, 10:29:23 PM »
They recently launched a new CVP  and not too long ago a DGX. These are both essentially arrangers. I think the delay to issuing a Genos replacement may mean that a new TOTL arranger is not a priority. But maybe reading too much into that to think it signals an end to arranger type instruments for Yamaha. Sounds to me like the rumor mill going a bit OTT.
Mike

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2023, 10:51:40 PM »
Hi :

Recently Yamaha dealers are offering the Genos at a lower price.
It might be a sign a Genos' successor is expected.

JH

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2023, 11:43:56 PM »
Why should people be thinking this way Dnj. I certainly am not. Anyone who follows Yamaha will know that nothing will be released until it is ready to launch. Instead of starting these threads that go round and round and go nowhere why not just enjoy playing the keyboards you have.

The following users thanked this post: rcca, Dave Shively, tyrosrick, colas musique

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2023, 11:44:41 PM »
I am hoping that what I am hearing thru the grapevine that this is NOT the case. :-\
 I guess due to the fact it has been SO LONG since we've seen anything new released this could be why people are thinking this way...?........

Thoughts?

Hi DNJ --

I know you're an old hand at this.

So many rumors have sprung up around synths, arrangers, etc., I just don't know where they come from and I now ignore all of them. The only evidence that I accept anymore is what holds up in a court of law, i.e., credible/official documentation.

Man, it's nuts out there. Officially, Yamaha are still issuing statements about supply chain problems and shortage of critical components (for example, DACs made by AKM, which is still trying to recover from a major factory fire). I suppose these spot shortages are making people jumpy.  ;)

Anyway, keep playin' and havin' fun -- pj

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2023, 12:46:37 AM »
Hi Donny, did you that from anyone reliable, or just speculation on websites? That would be incredibly sad..
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline ton37

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2023, 06:36:15 AM »
If so, so be it. After the ending (EOL) of Technics KN7000 years after its new revolutionair concept (there was nothing left to develop an profitable successor) I switched to Yamaha. Then there was  Yamaha's revolution with the Genos .... maybe the history repeats?? No problem to switch to Korg or Ketron.  ;).
Like.. Famous keyboards never die, they just fade away  ;D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 06:40:55 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2023, 07:16:51 AM »
Hi :

Unless Yamaha are not making ( enough ) profit on their high end arrangers, there is absolutely no reason why the #1 should stop their production, worldwide distribution and successful sales, IMO.

In September 2023 we will know a lot more, I hope. ;)

Up to now there are only 2 competitors left and it looks like both have problems.
Korg have not resolved all their PA5X software problems yet and Ketron seem to have Event delivery time problems.

Cheers, JH
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 08:19:36 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline Del B

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2023, 11:09:54 AM »
I Believe in Yamaha so I will continue to patiently wait for their new flagship in the meantime I will continue to enjoy my T5 like I always have.

Del

Offline Dnj

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2023, 01:32:25 PM »
Thank you all for your replies,....... all good thoughts with Hopes & Dreams of continuation for the
Yamaha Arranger keyboard division to somehow release units that will appeal to the
New generation & Older loyal fans who have kept them going all these years. As Eileen has stated
"Enjoy what you have" for it's anyone's guess what will be. I hope sooner then later at this point.

"The most deafening sound in all creation, is the sound of absolute silence."
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 01:33:48 PM by Dnj »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2023, 01:35:46 PM »
As I always say don't believe any rumours you may hear.
 No Yamaha employee would risk there job to start such a thing.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2023, 03:50:32 PM »
I just want to make sure I have enough Yamaha keyboards to last the rest of my life if Yamaha is closing up shop. I have TOOOO Much time invested in my styles. I am perfectly willing to purchase 3 more SX900 keyboards to insure that happens.  ;D

Offline Dnj

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2023, 04:23:24 PM »
Is it possible these Top Of The Line arranger models have reached a pinnacle in sound & style technology?
If I'm being honest how much better do they have to be at this point?.... also, as time goes by other means of making music is always being invented which gives players so many other options to consider also.
The manufactures really have to try to come up with ways to make their KB products appeal to the target audience to make a profit & to satisfy the loyal fan base also with new and fresh features that people are will to spend money on other than what's already out there ..
Let's all buckle up hang in there & get ready for what is to come .. 8)

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2023, 05:17:16 PM »
That’s probably the best advice, sit tight and see what happens.  No jumping ship, here.  I was thinking about selling the S975; but following Drake’s point, might better hang on to it a while, as a backup to the SX 900.

Offline pjd

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2023, 05:30:40 PM »
Just found this article about the factory fire at AKM. It is a well-written article with pictures of the factory damage.

https://www.strata-gee.com/akm-fire-update-co-makes-progress-interim-solution-shows-promise/

AKM manufactures digital-to-analog converters (DAC), ADCs and other integrated circuits for audio equipment and automobile manufacturers. According to the article, Toyota helped broker a partnership in which Renesas will manufacture ICs for automotive only. No word on who may take up the slack in audio.

Yamaha is heavily dependent upon AKM -- an observation based on years of reading Yamaha service manuals. There are one or more AKM components in every mid- to high-end Yamaha digital musical instrument.

I worked for semiconductor manufacturers, and trust me, this fire was catastrophic for AKM and vendors dependent on AKM. Yamaha's statements about shortage of critical parts shows the lingering effect of this fire.

Just want to pass along factual information -- pj

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad, BogdanH, Michael Trigoboff

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2023, 06:26:00 PM »
Is it possible these Top Of The Line arranger models have reached a pinnacle in sound & style technology?

It must not be easy and maybe almost impossible for a manufacturer, after more than 20 years, to invent and produce " something very new " that shakes the entire arranger keyboard world to its foundations when a new arranger has to be launched.
Improving means something completely different than inventing, IMHO.

JH
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 06:28:20 PM by Jeff Hollande »

Online Amwilburn

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2023, 08:00:50 PM »
20 years? I got my first Yamaha arranger in 1985, the PSR60! nearly 40 years!

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2023, 08:41:43 PM »
My first PSR was a PSR-500, followed by a PSR-5700, which actually was introduced before the 500. Prior to that I had an arranger keyboard made by the same folks that made my Microwave Oven - Mitsubishi. It was very limited, but I had a lot of fun with it.

I have enjoyed my PSR-S950 since it first came out, 2012 if I recall, and still enjoy it very much. Never saw a need to upgrade from that, mainly because it does everything I need an arranger keyboard to do, both on stage and in the office.

Donny, you have been spreading this same rumor for more than a decade, and it has never had any validity, and likely, never will come to be. I seriously doubt that arranger keyboards have reached the pinnacle, no more than cellular telephone apps. New and more advanced things will be coming out in the very near future as newer technology continues to be developed and expand.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Bruce Breen, dianatoy

Offline Dnj

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2023, 08:49:41 PM »
Gary please don't shoot the messenger.....I'm only sharing what I've heard.
Time will tell us all we need to know old friend...

stay well

Offline EileenL

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2023, 01:09:15 PM »
All stuff we have heard before. Even if the shop knew when it would be released (which it doesn't) they would have there dealership of Yamaha taken away if they let it slip. Just sit back and wait and see.

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52

Offline Toril S

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2023, 02:14:34 PM »
Since it is aganst my religion to sell a keyboard, I have 5 Yamahas and a Casio, so I will survive😀🎹😀 But I do NOT believe the rumours!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 11:22:14 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Online Amwilburn

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2023, 10:02:25 PM »
Since it's against my religion to sell a keyboard *snip*
:D ;D Hahahaha it sure is! You and me both!

Offline Toril S

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2023, 11:24:51 PM »
Oh yes :) I got The Urge some days ago, but stopped myself just in time. However I had to buy some keys, so I came out of the stor with a Melodica :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Dnj

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2023, 01:25:50 PM »
There are not many choices anymore in the arranger world,....unlike years ago when there were so many models to choose from many manufacturers. I am sad about that. Now with the few we have left & the frequency of releases it seems players are getting inpatient after all this time, Ketron & Korg finally release something so called new but trying to get one is difficult due to who knows what & shortages...
Yamaha has everyone in guessing mode after all this time ::).. so you play what you already have ....
or experiment with other types of keyboards, workstation, Dig Pianos, Daw programs etc, etc, ...
and prices seem to never come down even though the years go by. I wonder what is being said in R&D meetings when the question is asked...."What arranger kb can we design after all this time that will make us a profit & Keep our loyal customer base happy" I would love to have heard that discussion wouldn't you? I have tried almost every other keyboard out there, but always return to the all mighty arranger kb.
But now even after having a few of them 2x or 3x over again...the years have past & I now yearn for something completely new. Am I alone on this?.....or just nuts... :-\

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2023, 02:00:24 PM »
Hey Dnj :

After the Genos it will not be easy for Yamaha to come with a complete new concept, IMHO.

At the end of 2023 we all expect a Genos' upgrade but be not disappointed if the new one will not be so spectacular like some of us might be hoping.
Let us call it now a  " regular upgrade " and hope most customers will be happy with the final result and the price.  ;)

Best wishes, JH

Offline Dnj

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2023, 02:15:27 PM »
Hi Jeff...
Agreed ......I actually loved all of my Genos units (3) I'd say mostly everything about it checked all the boxes.
I am sure some players would like to see a few changes here & there, .... IMHO Yamaha should consider the most repeated feature requests & possibly implement them in a major software upgrade if possible before an actual NEW Unit release.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2023, 03:32:35 PM »
Thank you, Dnj ! 👍

Another Genos' update ? ... hard to believe, I guess.
A Genos' successor, introduction in Nov 2023 ? I guess so. Cross my fingers. ;)

Best wishes, JH

Offline Dnj

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2023, 03:51:11 PM »
Thank you, Dnj ! 👍

Another Genos' update ? ... hard to believe, I guess.
A Genos' successor, introduction in Nov 2023 ? I guess so. Cross my fingers. ;)
Best wishes, JH

What are you looking for in a New genos model?

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2023, 05:40:31 PM »
Personally I am very interested in how the Genos' successor will look like and what it will bring us... but it is not my intention to buy one.
I am an old fashioned musician. I love my instruments and it is hard for me to say goodbye to my good old Tyros4, the best arranger ( in my perception ) of the Tyros serie.

Bye for now, JH
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 05:46:53 PM by Jeff Hollande »

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2023, 04:46:33 AM »
I believe one reason why it’s taking extra time is Yamaha is making a lot more content voice styles etc. I still believe sometime this year web will see a surprise 😎

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2023, 02:13:16 PM »
What are you looking for in a New genos model?

Step recording chords/fills other that factory styles
Do away with Chord looper.

Easier way to make your own styles
Quantize pads.
I would also like to se a pro style EQ so you can see what is going on and a decent compressor
Better Guitars and Strings  and more still. Piano's 8)

Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline mikf

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2023, 03:23:55 PM »
I understand why some people would never use the chord looper, but don’t understand why removing it would be an improvement?
Mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2023, 04:57:19 PM »
No Mike it wouldn't. Lots of people find it useful for composing or even just playing live as it leaves both hands free to play piano along with it.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2023, 05:20:28 PM »
Hi John :

Most Genos' owners might expect much more spectacular new features if they want to upgrade, I guess. ;)

Best wishes, JH

Offline EileenL

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2023, 12:01:27 AM »
I think most of us will be happy with new styles and voices plus some improvements on the present operating system.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, MadrasGiaguari

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2023, 05:38:46 PM »
I think most of us will be happy with new styles and voices plus some improvements on the present operating system.

I think people may want much more than this since what you said above could all be done from an OS upgrade. v2 for example covered most of it already once.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 05:46:20 PM by Danny1972 »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2023, 06:00:45 PM »
There is only so much that can be done with an upgrade and I think they went as far as they could with the version 2 memory wise. I know there have been lots of requests that I don't even understand let alone use. I don't think many people use half that is on Genos now. Ask anyone who goes out playing live or is just a hobby player what else they would like and they will always say New voices and styles and improve some of the functions on Genos at present.

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2023, 06:11:30 PM »
There is only so much that can be done with an upgrade and I think they went as far as they could with the version 2 memory wise. I know there have been lots of requests that I don't even understand let alone use. I don't think many people use half that is on Genos now. Ask anyone who goes out playing live or is just a hobby player what else they would like and they will always say New voices and styles and improve some of the functions on Genos at present.

I think that's absolutely right, there are things on the Genos that people may never use but I suspect Yamaha could drop some of that stuff in favour of new things if need be. In fact I expect them to, not sure what though. I think I would be just happy with the things you're after as long as it's fairly worthwhile upgrade. Some additional Revo drums would be essential for me to get one, that's the main thing I am looking out for. They are great sounding drum kits.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2023, 10:57:12 PM »
Yes Danny I have to agree the revo drums are great.

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2023, 12:06:04 AM »
Hi Guys,

I have sold my Genos in last summer of 2022, and waited for yamaha to release a new Genos in 2022. Since Yamaha didn't released a new Genos in 2022, I bought the Genos again after a few months I sold it. It's now 2023 summer, and I did the same thing - I have sold my Genos a few days ago and again waiting a new Genos release :D Hope, that yamaha will not let us down and they will finally release a new Genos before the end of this year ::) I do not have an idea, will I buy old Genos again or not, if Yamaha will not release a new Genos in this year ;)

Regarding the new features and options of the new Genos, I wrote an article and there I stated all my personal desires for improving the new Genos. If you are interested, you can read my article here: https://psrstyles.com/our-blog/yamaha-keyboard-news/43-yamaha-genos-2-coming.html

I think you will find something interesting for you in my article.

Thank you
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 12:12:16 AM by vitalog2010 »
New Voice, Styles and Expansion Packs for yamaha Arranger Workstation Keyboards https://psrstyles.com

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2023, 02:27:53 AM »
I have sold my Genos in last summer of 2022, and waited for yamaha to release a new Genos in 2022. Since Yamaha didn't released a new Genos in 2022, I bought the Genos again after a few months I sold it. It's now 2023 summer, and I did the same thing - I have sold my Genos a few days ago and again waiting a new Genos release :D Hope, that yamaha will not let us down and they will finally release a new Genos before the end of this year ::) I do not have an idea, will I buy old Genos again or not, if Yamaha will not release a new Genos in this year ;)

Regarding the new features and options of the new Genos, I wrote an article and there I stated all my personal desires for improving the new Genos. If you are interested, you can read my article here: https://psrstyles.com/our-blog/yamaha-keyboard-news/43-yamaha-genos-2-coming.html

Why not wait until AFTER the Genos 2 release to sell your Genos?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline ton37

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2023, 07:43:12 AM »
Hi Guys,

I think you will find something interesting for you in my article.

Thank you
I don't think this has much to do with music? It seems more like you want to lose as little money as possible on your Genos? It is more like trading Bitcoins, risk is always involved. As soon as a new Genos 2 appears on the market, you know that the trade-in / resale value of the Genos 1 will decrease compared to today's price level. But also take into account another scenario: the first batch of a possible new Genossen 2 will be firmly overpriced. Gone is your 'profit or less loss'. If you wait a year, that price will be significantly lower. So, if you don't want to lose too much money on your current Genos1, you can also just wait another 2 years. On the other hand, if you can spend that much money on a new Genos 2, I wonder what 'the profit' is of your current way of working? But I can't look into your wallet and in the end it's up to you. Happy speculation ..  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2023, 04:39:21 PM »
If there is a new Genos on the way , they are doing a good job of keeping it a secret.
You would of thought there would be a hint of a leak as there is always a whistleblower somewhere :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2023, 11:58:04 PM »
To Early for any hints yet.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2023, 10:06:17 AM »
Hi Eileen
Oh!! "Things to Come"!! :) or "What If"  :) :)!!!