Author Topic: SX700 Help please re how to upload mp3 backings from USB to Kbrd playlist  (Read 1999 times)

Offline beebs

Can't sort this out, seems to be also connected with getting the usb mp3 into the registration somehow first, am I wrong there guys?
Possible for someone to walk me through this do you think? , just joined the site here.    Seem to be some very knowledgeable guys/gals here.   

regards   Beebs

Offline Fred Smith

Can't sort this out, seems to be also connected with getting the usb mp3 into the registration somehow first, am I wrong there guys?
Possible for someone to walk me through this do you think? , just joined the site here.    Seem to be some very knowledgeable guys/gals here.   

When working with playlists, the best way to start is to ignore the playlist. First, Get the registration working correctly.

Memorize the song into a registration. Once you have the registration working, then move on to the playlist.

Get back to us at the specific stage you’re having trouble with.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: beebs

Offline overover

Can't sort this out, seems to be also connected with getting the usb mp3 into the registration somehow first, am I wrong there guys? ...

Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Beebs!

A registration is comparable to a snapshot of the current Panel settings.

In order to get an mp3 file "into a registration", you first load the mp3 manually into the Song player. If desired, you make further panel settings (e.g. Right Voices, Left Voice).

Then memorize the current panel settings to a Registration Memory button (usually button #1). It is important that the required boxes are ticked in the Memory dialog (at least "Audio Song", "Voice" for the Right Voices and "Style" (!) for the Left Voice).

Registrations you don't need anymore can be deleted in the "Registration Edit" display.

Finally, the Registration Bank must be saved as a file. To do this, press both "Regist Bank -/+" buttons simultaneously to bring up the Registration Bank File Selection display and then save the bank file either to the User drive or to the connected USB stick.

I recommend using folders. So first create a new folder in the desired location, e.g. named "My Registrations", in which you then save the Registration Bank files. The files are automatically available there sorted alphabetically. Maybe this is enough for you, then you don't need to create Playlists at all. (The latter are mostly good for making songs available in a specific order.)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 02:49:30 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline beebs

Many thanks Fred and Chris, that is helpful, still a little hazy.     So this is where I'm at:

l.  loaded the mp3 fro USB stick into the 'player'.
2. Hit memory button then hit registration button number 2 (say)
3. Hit  reg bank + and - togeher and hit reg button 2 again
4. File / Save / name the song /Save here
Stalled a bit after that, how to create new folder after getting the individual registration working?
I'm not quite sure at each page after this what I'm actually looking looking at, whether it's a file, folder or registration?
I think I'd prefer to dump each file from the USB (or altogether) into a playlist as they will be in order to be used as a backing set when I play live.     But I guess otherwise move them one at a time from the USB stick?
Thanks,      Beebs

Offline Fred Smith

Many thanks Fred and Chris, that is helpful, still a little hazy.     So this is where I'm at:

l.  loaded the mp3 fro USB stick into the 'player'.
2. Hit memory button then hit registration button number 2 (say)
3. Hit  reg bank + and - togeher and hit reg button 2 again
4. File / Save / name the song /Save here
Stalled a bit after that, how to create new folder after getting the individual registration working?
I'm not quite sure at each page after this what I'm actually looking looking at, whether it's a file, folder or registration?
I think I'd prefer to dump each file from the USB (or altogether) into a playlist as they will be in order to be used as a backing set when I play live.     But I guess otherwise move them one at a time from the USB stick?
Thanks,      Beebs

Let's simplify the process, Beebs. You still need to get the registrations working before you move on to the playlist.

First, after pressing the Memory button, ensure the Song box is checked before you press Reg button 2.
Next, there's no need for step 3.
Finally, there's no need to create a new folder. You can, but it's not necessary.
After you have saved your registration, it should just work. Make sure the registration does what you want -- plays the MP3. Once it does, then move on to the next song by following the same steps.

Once you have a few registrations created, test out taking requests with them. This is where you press reg-/reg+ simultaneously. This button press will bring up your list of registrations. Pick a song and play it. Take another request. Load the registration, and play the song.

Once you have the registrations doing what you want, move on the creating the playlist. Create the playlist in set order. Then test out the playlist.

Not sure what you mean by "dump each file from the USB". The registration takes care of loading the MP3 from the USB.

Cheers,
Fred

Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline beebs

Thanks Fred, making some progress here thanks to you and Chris.   Held up a little now getting the playlist sorted.
These playlists will be my one after the other songs used in restaurants etc.  so I'll have a few pllaylsits all in order throughout the night.
So how to add each song to the playlists, are we drawing the songs directly from the registration memory bank or does one need to first take it from the registration memory into the Registration Bank somehow then hit 'List' in the playlist?

Thanks for the assistance,

Beebs

Offline beebs

Sorry, after months, actual months I can't progress unfortunately with the SX-700.     Desperately need a step by step on how to make a playlist from mp3's and wav's that are on the USB stick.    Is it that the mp3 need to first be somehow transfered into a registration bank?
I have achieved a songlist, but how to get it into a playlist to stop after ech song is played (for use as live backing tracks).
Can anyone help Regards  Beebs

Offline beebs

Finally managed to get the registration and playlist up and running.   My thanks to all for their help on this. 

One question pertaining to the downloading of an mp3 file from the player 'Song list' . . . I have about 60 mp3/wav backing tracks in the 'Song List' is there a way to copy all at one time into 1 registration rather than 60 then i would load them into my playlist in one hit?      Rgds    Beebs

Offline EileenL

No you cant save more than eight songs into one registration bank.

Offline beebs

Thanks Eileen, it's appreciated.

Beebs

Offline iulistil2

regards   Beebs

To correctly read an mp3 song, it must be in 44.1khz format and 128-320kb compression, also the name must not contain special characters or internet addresses!

Offline overover

To correctly read an mp3 song, it must be in 44.1khz format and 128-320kb compression, also the name must not contain special characters or internet addresses!

To be correct: According to the specifications in the SX700 Owner's Manual, almost all MP3s are supported, i.e. also 48 kHz, VBR and mono.

WAV files can only be played if they have the format "44.1 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit resolution, stereo".

MP3: 44.1 or 48.0 kHz, 64–320 kbps and VBR (variable bit rate), mono or stereo.

A file name on the SX700 can contain a maximum of 46 characters (50 characters including the file extension), and the following characters cannot be used: \ / : * ? " < > |

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 10:10:12 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline beebs

Thanks for the help guys.  It's appreciated.   
So my goal is to get a backing tracks playlist in a set order containing the settings I've chosen for each tune (i.e. a 'registration' I guess) but a list that stops automatically after each backing track.   About 20 songs per set.     I have been able to construct what is called a 'Playlist' i.e. adding songs from the registration in order of preference but it requires loading up and pressing the 1-8 registration keys every time which is open to errors and likelihood of repeating the last song played often when playing live gigs.   
What do you suggest here.     (Use of a folder maybe, but one that includes registrations??)
Also when I press 'player' can't quite get the head around is there a separate section 'User' for USB and a separate one on the keyboard itself?     Pardon my ignorance here guys.   Regards   Beebs
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 04:46:42 AM by beebs »

Offline EileenL

There are two ways to go about this.
  The first is to create a folder with all your backings in and create one registration bank that is not attached to any style but has sufficient voice changes in to suit all your songs. Now open up your song folder and work from this using you registration bank of sounds to play along with.
  The other way is to make twenty registrations just containing the voices required for the song and attaching the backing you want to it. It is always best to save these to a folder that you can name as you wish. Now of course you will select the registrations for each song without fear of playing the wrong song.

Offline overover

Hi Beebs,

I recommend the following procedure:

Create a separate Registration Bank for each MP3 song (in which the MP3 is memorized on Registration button #1). The remaining buttons (2 - 8 ) of the bank are either free (so they don't light up), or you use them for alternative keyboard voice settings (for this one song). I have already described above how registrations that are not required can be deleted (so that the relevant buttons no longer light up).

Name each Registration Bank file with the song title that will be played with it.

Store these Registration Bank files either all in one folder (e.g. "Registrations") or, if desired, in sub-folders by first letter (e.g. "ABC", "DEF", etc.) or in sub-folders by genre (e.g. "Country", " pop", etc.). It is important that YOU can quickly find any Registration Bank, i.e. any desired song title, at any time.

If you load the Registration Banks directly, you always have to manually press Registration button #1 after loading the relevant Bank file in order to load the relevant MP3.

Note: If you are working with the Playlist function, i.e. adding the previously created Registration Banks to one or more playlists in the desired order, you can specify for each playlist entry (= song title) that when you tap on the song in the playlist not only the relevant registration bank is loaded, but also automatically a specific registration from this bank. In your case you specify that Registration #1 is always loaded: In the Playlist display, touch "Edit" and select the desired Registration (called "Regist Memory" here). See also pages 90/91 in the SX700 Owner's Manual.

By the way, I recommend that you save all of your own data on a USB stick and regularly copy the content of this "main stick" to the computer and external data carriers (e.g. external hard drives, other USB sticks, cloud storage services). Of course, you could also work with the internal user drive, but creating backups here is much more complicated than using USB sticks. Each file type would have to be copied separately to a USB stick. In addition, the file system of the internal user drive is not compatible with USB sticks, since the system uses a fixed main folder for each file type in the user drive and the user drive also has a different drive letter. Registrations and playlists will therefore no longer work if the corresponding files are copied from the user drive to a USB stick (or vice versa).

To bring up the User drive in a File Selection display, touch "User > User". To access the connected USB stick, touch "User > USB1".

Important: When working with Registrations and Playlists, only ONE USB stick should be connected at a time. If several sticks are connected at the same time, there is a risk that an "incorrect" drive letter will be memorized in the registrations/playlists (and the registrations/playlists will no longer work later if the sticks are connected in a different order or if only one stick is used).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 05:16:56 PM by overover »

Offline Fred Smith

Beebs,

To directly address the issue of not knowing which reg button to push for the particular song loaded, get the playlist to do it.

Go to your playlist, tap on an entry and select Edit. There you can select the registration button to be loaded for this song.

Remember to save the playlist when you're finished editing it.

Now when you tap on a song in the playlist, the appropriate registration button will light up.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline beebs

Thanks Fred.    I was more worried about fogetting to tap the button but I think I'm sorted now using directly to the registrations contained 1 folder per set of 20 backing tracks.     Thanks for all the help.      Regards   Bob

Offline beebs

thanks Eileen / Chris.
What I settled for in the end was as follows.    Hope this might help someone else . . .

1.  I set up the keyboard at a fixed in/output volume.
2.  Did the same for the microphone so that it was at a volume that would work with the keyboard volume.     Set that volume in place.
3.  The backing tracks are of course all over the place individually so each one I got to a level that (with earphones on) i could tell would blend in
     with the fixed volume mic/keyboard.
4.  Saved all these registrations individually to a folder in UB stick under the name "Restaurant Set 1".    Numbered as in 001 - 020 (3 digit)  in order of playing.
5.  It saves me one procedure less to remember versus using a 'playlist'.   So now I just choose say nmbr 018 and press the registration button nmr 1 for each then start.

Many thanks for all the assistance , it did help a lot and it's greatly appreciated.

Bob

Offline EileenL

That is exactly what I do. Have never used Play List when playing for shows. So much easier to work from registrations in a folder.