Author Topic: YAMAHA PSR + MIDI PC  (Read 893 times)

Offline PAWEL

YAMAHA PSR + MIDI PC
« on: May 16, 2023, 10:57:23 PM »
Friends, tell me!
I have a Yamaha PSR-SX600 connected via MIDI to my computer.
Can I see the sounds on the instrument in the USER bank on the computer?
I see sounds in other banks without problems.

Offline overover

Re: YAMAHA PSR + MIDI PC
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 11:40:31 PM »
Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, PAWEL!

Please describe in a little more detail what exactly you want to do:

Which MIDI program do you use on the PC and what exactly do you mean by "the sounds on the instrument in the USER bank"?

If you mean saved User Voice files in the User drive: These voices can only used in Keyboard Parts (NOT in MIDI files, Styles and Multi Pads).

A User Voice does not have its own Voice Number (Bank Select MSB/LSB and Program Change) and cannot be selected via MIDI. (But you can switch Registrations via MIDI.)

A User Voice file is basically a MIDI file that calls up a specific Preset Voice and also contains the (possibly modified) Voice Settings. To use the voice settings of a User Voice in a MIDI file on the PC, you could record a short MIDI file with this User Voice on the keyboard (at least 1 note) and then import this file into your Sequencer program / DAW on the PC. Alternatively, you could also copy the User Voice file to the PC, change the file extension there to ".mid" and then import it into the Sequencer program / DAW (into the initialization bar on the desired MIDI channel).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 01:20:51 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: PAWEL

Offline PAWEL

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 07:40:39 AM »
Thank you very much friend!You helped me a lot!
Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 09:33:33 AM by PAWEL »

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 10:36:35 AM »
Hi PAWEL,

After you mentioned the Bank Number 8064, I can now imagine what you meant by "User Bank": It's about CUSTOM Voices, i.e. Voices in Expansion Packs. ;)

CUSTOM Voices are user or third-party created Voices in Expansion Packs. A distinction is made between Custom Normal Voices (MSB=63) and Custom Drum Voices (MSB=62).

Each Pack in the YEM (Yamaha Expansion Manager) has a specific LSB number (0 - 127). The YEM always automatically uses the lowest free LSB (but can be changed by the user if desired under "Change Bank Select LSB"). The first imported or self-created Pack has LSB=0 by default.

Some MIDI programs do not work directly with Bank Select MSB and LSB, but use BANK NUMBERS, which are calculated according to the formula "banknumber = 128*MSB + LSB".

With the Bank Number 8064 you mentioned, Custom Normal Voices in the first installed Expansion Pack are addressed (128*63 + 0 = 8064). Custom Drum Voices in the first Pack would have Bank Number 7936 (128*62 + 0).

For voices in further Expansion Packs, their LSB number must be added to the specified Bank Numbers. E.g. the Bank Numbers for Custom Voices in the Pack with LSB=1 are:

Normal Voices in second Pack: 128*63 + 1 = 8065
Drum Voices in second Pack: 128*62 + 1 = 7937

By the way, Voices in Expansion Packs created by YAMAHA usually have fixed Voice Numbers (MSB and LSB are fixed), i.e. different from MSB 63 and 62. Here, the LSB assigned to the Pack in question by the YEM is irrelevant.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 10:48:21 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: PAWEL

Offline PAWEL

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2023, 02:44:32 PM »
Thank you very much! Your information has expanded my knowledge. Good luck!