Author Topic: Tyros 4 v SX700  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Denn

Tyros 4 v SX700
« on: May 15, 2023, 11:02:06 PM »
Hello Everyone. Would someone kindly like to tell me what my SX700 can do that my Tyros can’t do? Apart from making a direct MP3 I can see no other advantages.
I have an S970 which, apart from only having 2 right voices, works exactly as my T4. The YEM on the S970, SX series and the Genos is a pain to me. It requires everything to be done on a computer and then it formats the extended memory and loads the new information. I can add and subtract UVN voices in minutes on my T4 when playing out.
Navigating through the menus on the SX700 is a nightmare. Example, I set my registration at home to be what I think is should sound like. On site the right voice is too quiet, I need to up the volume. On T4 I just push the slider up (or press the button). On the SX I have to get through the Menu, then the mixer, then pick the “slider” and wind the big wheel and get back to playing.
I would like facts and not opinions. My T4 sounds fine to me but some of the voices on the SX are “hissy” and scratchy. That is my opinion and probably not a fact.
Kind regards,
Denn.
Love knitting dolls

Offline LaHawk

Re: Tyros 4 v SX700
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 01:43:49 AM »
You want our facts and not opinions, but your topic contains some of your opinions. OK then.  ::) I'll do my best to meet your demand.

You're comparing a once $5500 top of the line arranger to a now $1500 middle of the line arranger that actually sits below the SX900. So not really a fair comparison. The T-4 now a Genos and the S970 now a SX-900 is a much fairer comparison. (Facts with some possible opinions)

On the SX-700 clicking one button, the mixer button, brings control of the volume parts using the touch control or wheel to adjust volume parts and more. One button. And if desired live control knobs can be set up to control volume and/or many other parameters. (Fact not an opinion)

I do agree YEM is kinda "clunky" but YEM does the job fairly easy and efficiently once you learn it. YEM is a nice bonus on todays Yamaha Arrangers. (Fact AND an opinion)

The registration does not change because you moved a keyboard. It may "sound" different according to the environment, so maybe have different EQ settings set up on board for those different atmospheres. Again one button, the mixer button / EQ setting (Fact, not an opinion)
That being said, the sliders on the T-4 are nice to have, (opinion) but...
1. The SX-700 has a very responsive modern Touch Screen (Fact, not an opinion)
2. Portability, lighter less bulky (Fact not an opinion)
3. Built in speakers, nice for certain occasions. (Fact with possibly an opinion)

Both are good, but for me it's Touch Screen, Touch Screen, Touch Screen. :) Along with the Touch Screen, the choice of physical buttons to access styles, voices, menu, mixers, etc. in combination with the touch screen, quick access home assignable home scree,  and control knobs make for a more efficient modern keyboard.  (Facts with opinions, sorry it's unavoidable)

Thanks for the topic, but for me if I was still playing out, I would choose the SX-700 over the T-4 and S970. (Oops sorry,  that was a complete opinion, and not a fact). Darn forums always with the opinions ;D

I'm just joking around with you Denn. Trying to have some fun.
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad

Offline Denn

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 02:21:36 AM »
Hello Larry,
On the SX-700 clicking one button, the mixer button
Missed that. Have to take more notice of it.
Setting up Live Control Knobs. Never had any success with that. I only get Filter and Reverb.
When I had my SX900 I downloaded 14 packs and picked the eyes out of them to make one pack to load. Worked well but still had to do that at home with the computer. Now I have the Chinese pack  ;D for playing some things at the restaurant where I play Friday and Saturday evenings. I use the S970 for playing there. It is so much like the T4 and 10 years with the T4 - old habits tend to die hard.
Sorry but I do not like the "touch" screen. I bought a rubber pointer to "poke" the screen. Some of the blocks are too small for my fingers. I get a choice of 3 or 4 blocks when I use my fingers.  ::)
The speakers on the SX900 were the best of the bunch of onboard speakers. Before covid when I took out my T4 I used my StagePa300 but still had the satellite speakers onboard.
Now, as age grows on, the weight is important as well as the amount of kit to be carried. One kbd, one stand and one stool. Great.
Thanks lots for answering my post, it is the only way to learn about things.
I have written screeds about the T4 on our TDP forum, keeps me busy  ;)
Thanks again. Denn.

Love knitting dolls

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 01:46:28 PM »
The Tyros 4 has a Vocal Harmonizer however the SX700 does not. FACT

The SX700 Keyboard ain't worth having (even for Free). OPINION

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 02:39:05 PM »
The Tyros 4 has a Vocal Harmonizer however the SX700 does not. FACT
One can buy much better separate vocal harmonizer for much less money -kinda fact  :)

..and sometimes opinions are worth nothing  :)

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 05:10:30 PM »
You can purchase a separate VH unit for like $230 with very LIMITED ability.

I checked the unit most recommend here at the forum. Reviewers pointed out it allows only 3 preset settings (at a time) and switching those out during a live gig is not possible (too much time), except during a gig break. I have over 30 preset VH settings I can go to instantly (and do) during my gigs. 

The Yamaha VH is a much better unit and setting it up and mastering it is possible.  ;)

The gig I am doing this week has 13 mic setting changes during a one hour set (between 6 different VH settings). 

REVERB 17%, Reverb 24%, Reverb 50%, 2 girl backup singers, Beatles, and Midland
You can only do that with the Yamaha VH2 unit.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 05:21:12 PM by DrakeM »

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 06:22:58 PM »
Hello Everyone. Would someone kindly like to tell me what my SX700 can do that my Tyros can’t do? Apart from making a direct MP3 I can see no other advantages.

Kind regards,
Denn.

Well then, I guess you're all set.  :) The Tyros 4 has Super Articulation voices; the SX700 does not.

To me, the key question is "What do I need to achieve my musical goals?" 99% of the time, I have what I need. That's why I don't chase shiny new things and am satisfied with what I have. All personal opinion, of course.

All the best -- pj
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 06:26:12 PM by pjd »

Offline Denn

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2023, 12:38:16 AM »
Hello All, Thanks for your replies.
For Drake; 
Fully agree. Had the Genos, SX900 and now the SX700 just to answer questions about what can be done. Use my S970 for playing out, Tyros is too heavy for me now. I don't sing. Everyone is thankful for that.  :D
I LOVE my Tyros4, Would not part with it for anything.
Kind regards, Denn.
Love knitting dolls

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2023, 07:57:18 PM »
Well, you should probably know that the s970 and the sx700 share the same sound library/chipset. There aren't any sound differences between those 2; but the remaining differences are:
2 layers vs 3 right hand sound layers.
400mb (with about half already pre loaded and used) vs 512mb on the s970. T4 has no built in sample ram (well 6mb) and tracking down the now discontinued 512mb /1024mb Yamaha flash ram is nigh impossible; but the point is moot since most T4 packs are no longer offered anywhere (unless you happened to already have purchased and dl'ed them when they were available. There is still 3rd party companies that make packs for the t4 still).

sx970 has audio styles (which I actually really like, opinion) the sx700 and T4 do not (fact)
VH on the s970 (and T4)
Megavoice arpeggiators on the sx700 (s970 does not have them even though it could have been added with an OS update, but of course I don't think Yamaha bothered). T4 has no arpeggiators at all.

T4 has S.Art 2, no PSR does. T4 also has the nicest keys of the 3 (s970 arguably has the worst feeling of the 3, but also you don't need to worry about the non lubricated clacking sound that tends to eventually happen on the sx series. Doesn't bother me at all, but it does bother some who like to play on mostly headphones).

the PSRsx700/PSRs970/Tyros 4 all share the exact same drum and megavoice sounds, so the same accompaniments will generally sound the same, but the T4 ots might not work on the PSR's due to the lack of S.Art2 voices.

Mark