Author Topic: How important is a new upgraded Genos?  (Read 4402 times)

Offline stephenm52

How important is a new upgraded Genos?
« on: May 04, 2023, 09:25:06 PM »
Through the years my Genos has been my go to gigging keyboard.  When it comes to a new model release I need to ask myself; will a new Genos earn me any more dollars?   The answer is no.   

Things happen in our lives and I've now been diagnosed with a terminal disease.  My doctors are not predicting how much longer my life will be after all they are not my creator.  I guess my point is we reach a point in life and a "new anything" cannot save our lives, we are all heading to the same place.   

I'm just so grateful that I've had a life that I wouldn't trade for all the new arrangers or pianos in the world.  Regrets? I have very few. My only disappointment is that I recently hit the 70 mark and wish I had more years but based on my families history with cancer this disease did not come as a surprise.  Carry on fellow musicians and don't forget to be thankful and grateful for each day you have to enjoy and play music.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Re: How important is a new upgraded Genos?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 09:34:57 PM »
First off, I'm sure I speak for everyone here, that we're so sorry to hear of your diagnosis, Stephen.

You're 100% correct about the Genos. Despite all the posts about how many "new things" we'd all like to see added to Genos 2, it's how you play that really counts. Please try to keep playing as long as you can. I honestly believe that engaging in any musical activity extends the time any of us has.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: MIKEP, tyrosrick, wersianer, EB5AGV, Lije Baley

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 09:45:00 PM »
Stephen
Very sad news, but accepting a situation most of us dread, with such courage, calmness, good grace and thankfulness for the good life you had is both impressive and uplifting. You are one classy individual and you have just put all our everyday ups and downs, hopes and desires, into perspective.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones. Thank you for your wise contributions here.
Best wishes
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad, tyrosrick, Tyrosplayer, Duffy, wersianer

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 10:18:29 PM »
Hi Stephen, so sorry to hear such awful news. What can one say. Just look after yourself.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

The following users thanked this post: tyrosrick

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 10:49:59 PM »
Hi Stephen --

I'm sad to hear that you've been hit by this awful disease. We all wish you and your family the best!

You've been an incredibly helpful, bright spot all these years. Thank you. And thank you for one further lesson -- the need for introspection and perspective, right darned now.

-- pj

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 11:05:18 PM »
Lee, Mike, Rikki and PJ, many thanks for your kind comments. All of you have also been helpful to me in the past.  Thanks for your support!

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 11:21:59 PM »
Dear Stephen. I am so sorry to hear about your disease! But, as you say, your doctor is not your creator. I send you warm thoughts and pray for you here in Trondheim,  Norway. Stay tuned to your friends here om PSR Tutorial. No, there is no keyboard model that can save us from what happens to us in life, but to play music and listen to music gives us great joy. A big hug from Toril
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

Offline tyrosrick

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2023, 10:18:58 AM »
Thank you Steve for your contributions to this forum. Moreover, all those gigs you did, had more impact in ways you may not even know. Perhaps that child in the audience heard you play and now is an accomplished player thanks to you. The senior citizens hearing your renditions of old-time melodies helped enrich their lives in those moments. Whatever time you have left, I feel you'll still continue to make a significant difference in many lives, be it through words, deeds, or your exquisite music skills. One day, all of us will meet again in our true eternal forms, until then, thank you again for embracing this Earthly life and creating the ripples of music that have touched so may in the past, and continue to do so today.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 10:20:44 AM by tyrosrick »

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad, wersianer

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2023, 10:37:15 AM »
stephenm52,

Sorry for you lousy diagnosis. You are correct, no one gets out of here alive. I am close to your age 68, and know what you are talking about, it's been one thing after another. It's good that we are retired and have time to go to the doctors :). Hang in there, for me music makes life easier to deal with.

Best of luck,
Rick D.

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2023, 11:01:40 AM »
Hi Stephen, as everybody has already said, I am ever so sorry about your diagnosis, sending prayers to you. Everything you said is so true to remind us how lucky and blessed we are to have these these wondering instruments and to appreciate all the times we are able to use them for whatever means. 

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2023, 12:28:48 PM »
Toril, Tyrosrick, Rickd and Danny1972.  Many thanks for your kind words, it's certainly wonderful to have caring friends at this great PSR Forum.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

The following users thanked this post: tyrosrick, Danny1972

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2023, 12:47:37 PM »
Hello Stephenm,
  So sorry to hear your news. Music is a great way of relaxing and getting us through things and I hope it will be of help to you through these times.

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2023, 01:52:30 PM »
Dear Stephen, thank you for having the courage and trust in us to speak so openly.

I am very sorry to hear this. I know each of us deals with difficulty and tragedy in our own way, but I would like to share the following sentiment passed onto me by my late father who, like you, battled a difficult illness - don't grieve, Heaven is a place nearby.

Dad wasn't at all religious but after these many years, I really do think he meant 'I'm not going anywhere'.

As for the doctors, his internist told me he couldn't believe it when he, knowing the diagnosis, saw my dad shopping in a supermarket, pushing the cart. It was like this till the very last moment. So, if I may be equally open, never say this is the end and keep pushing that cart as hard as you can!

Take care and best of wishes,
Antun

Offline TerryE54

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2023, 05:35:57 PM »
Dear Stephen,

Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis; having had close family members having similar diagnoses I know it is a difficult time.

As Eileen has said, making music on our wonderful Genos is such a good way to relax and hopefully it will help you through.

All the best.

Terry

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2023, 06:11:49 PM »
Hi Steve

Thinking of you Steve.
Nobody knows what cards we are dealt
Keep you face to the sunshine 8)

All the best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Oxford1035

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2023, 01:24:58 AM »
Hi Stephen,

Sorry to hear your news. Like others have said, l admire your courage and the way you're facing it. l hope you're able to beat the odds and enjoy life for longer than may be expected. Hang in there and look after yourself as best you can.

Kind regards,

Russ
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 01:48:30 AM by Oxford1035 »

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2023, 12:49:37 PM »
Eileen, Antun,Terry, John and Russ, many thanks for your kind words and support!

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

The following users thanked this post: Oxford1035

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2023, 02:25:43 PM »
Hi Stephen,

Thanks a lot for showing us what is important in life. We live in a permanent rush, taking lots of things (like health) for granted, aspiring to have the latest and greatest keyboard... instead of thanking and appreciating what we are blessed to have and, more important, the people who surround us.

I wish you the best in this time.

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2023, 02:31:45 PM »
Dear Stephen :

Allow me to say how much I admire your courage and strength during these difficult and sad times for you and your family.

Warm regards, JH

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2023, 02:51:04 PM »
Hi Stephen,

Thanks a lot for showing us what is important in life. We live in a permanent rush, taking lots of things (like health) for granted, aspiring to have the latest and greatest keyboard... instead of thanking and appreciating what we are blessed to have and, more important, the people who surround us.

I wish you the best in this time.

Jose

Thank you Jose and you're welcome.   I'm also known on the airwaves as W1DAM, but I haven't been on the air since last December.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2023, 02:52:26 PM »
Jeff, Thank you too for your kind comments!

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

tyrosman

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2023, 05:03:17 PM »
Hello Stephenm so sorry to Hear this terrible News music is a great tonic i Take every day as it comes there is so much going on at the moment and Genos is just fantastic ive Had mine since it came out ive not Gigged since the pandemic and im now discovering Genos its just fantastic

Offline davey

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2023, 06:35:07 PM »
Hello Stephen this something we all are going to face at sometime I only hope to have your courage and perspective.

Wishing you all the best

Dave

Offline Paula

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2023, 01:42:23 AM »
Hi Steve
 I am sad to hear this very sad new
 you are in my prayers ... although I never met you in person I feel as though  I personally know you
 each and every one of us could face this  none of us are exempt ,
 I just lost a beautiful little niece age 54 last October to this horrible illness she left her 13 year old daughter  rather we are Ill or not we are all terminal , God Bless you Steve I have been thinking about you and again  you are in my nightly prayers
    A forum friend
    Paula
You Tube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1xEYzY5g_0Nd5G9TkMY6mA/videos
Genos 1,Tyros 4 and Bose S1 Pro, Bose L1 Mod 2 w/tonematch
PSR S970

Offline Ed B

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2023, 03:02:22 AM »
Hi Stephen
Thinking of you and your most insightful words. Our prayers are with you. VE3 KHA.
Ed B
Keep on learning

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2023, 07:05:24 AM »
Hello Stephen,

Thanks so much for all your wonderful contributions to this forum and some of them are residing in my machines.
Sometimes we miss the big priorities in life and it is a wake up call along with some shock to put those priorities back where
they belong.  You have earned a good name and your sharing your response to your medical diagnosis is so precious.
Sending many blessings for you and your family from Tsafat, Israel.

elaine
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline Stijn

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2023, 11:50:36 AM »
Hi Stephen, so sorry to hear such awful news.
I admire your courage and strength during this difficult period and I want to thank you for all your contributions to this forum.

Take care and best of wishes,

Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2023, 01:41:17 PM »
Tyrosman, Davey, Paula, EdB,Elaine, Stijn many thanks to all of you for your support.  I know at one time or another I've had contact with everyone regarding our wonderful arrangers and keyboards.  It's such a great feeling to have such wonderful friends and support from around the world whether it be with our arrangers or for moral support.  I can't thank you enough for your prayers and thoughts!

EdB, 73 from fellow ham radio operator W1DAM
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 01:42:24 PM by stephenm52 »

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2023, 03:24:13 PM »
Very sorry to hear this

With best wishes

Andy
Genos, Montage 7, PSR EW-410 HS5's, mfc10
Former Keyboards: T1/2/3/5 & various Organs

Offline maartenb

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2023, 01:03:24 PM »
Stephen,

Thank you for sharing your story, even though it is a sad one.

I appreciate all your past (and future) contributions to this forum.

Take care and I wish you all the strength.

Maarten

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2023, 02:42:16 PM »
AndiRoo and Maarten B thanks for your kind words!

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline valimaties

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2023, 07:33:40 AM »
Oh, GOD...  :-[

I'm very sorry to hear that from you Stephen.
Sometimes words are so hard to find... I don't find my words in this moment.
I only can say that I wish you to enjoy your arranger as much as you can, because this is one of the greatest joy in our lives, MUSIC, and this is what binds us!
Be strong!!!

Best regards from me,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2023, 04:35:48 PM »
Steve, I don't know if I ever told you this, but at age 12 I passed the test for my General Class license, W3JQL, but let it lapse when I joined the US Navy. I built my own transmitters and had a 151-foot long wire antenna stretched out the window of out attic bedroom to a tree in the neighbor's back yard, that was connected to a 100-watt, homemade transmitter that outputted from a pair of 6146 tubes that the plates glowed red ever time I keyed the bug. My receiver was a Hallicrafters SX-42, which was considered among the best at the time. I purchased it from the local hobby shop and back then it sold for over $100, which took me a summer of mowing lawns to save for it.

Keep in touch, old friend,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2023, 05:46:31 PM »
Validates, many thanks for your kind and compassionate comments.   

Gary I knew you earned a General Class license at an early age but didn't realize just how young you were.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Del B

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2023, 10:41:48 AM »
Hi Stephen
That is very sad news to read and it’s times like these that nothing I say or write to you right now is going to change anything or make anything better. If I can make any sort of difference through my words right now, I hope that you at least know that I am thinking of you and your family. Go out and do the things you want to do, but never had the time or chance to do before, and try to enjoy the time you now have to the full. Thank you for everything that you have shared in this forum it is always appreciated.
Del

Offline hans1966

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2023, 08:06:50 AM »
Hello Stephenm, I send you my prayers, keep making good music.
Cheer up friend.
a hug!
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2023, 04:30:24 PM »
Hans966 and Dal B thanks very much!

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline PraiseTheLord

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2023, 04:40:31 AM »
Shocked to read this, Stephen! Praying against this disease and generally for you and your family 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2023, 07:31:16 PM »
Well said, Stephen; be grateful for each day and live it as best you can. Hoping for the best for you man. So sorry to hear this.
Mark

Offline montremo

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2023, 07:52:10 PM »
Stephen, we're all with you.
And learning that an illness must separate us from a gift that the creator, as you mentioned, has given each of us a bit of his gift which is music. But one day we will all play together, with the God creator of the world, he the only one and the true artist, he will allow us to play for all eternity. But I hope that for you Stephen you will still have enough time to enjoy playing with family or friends. I wish you good luck. greetings and God bless you. ;)