Author Topic: Tyros5 Equalizer and Compression  (Read 1933 times)

Online bpsafran

Tyros5 Equalizer and Compression
« on: May 04, 2023, 01:53:30 PM »
Hi everyone:

I have been reading posts for several years recommending equalizer and compression settings for the Tyros5.  My PA system does not have either of those so I have to adjust the sound on the Tyros5.  Some members suggested rather drastic changes in the equalizer (~5-10dB) but others say that the changes should be more subtle. Is there a recent "best practice" recommendation for the equalizer and compression of the Tyros5 for a stereo PA system (of about 100 W per channel peak power) that I can try?

Thanks

Sam

Offline BogdanH

Re: Tyros5 Equalizer and Compression
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 05:28:17 PM »
hi Sam,
Here probably everyone will have his own suggestion/advice and all of them are valid, as long we keep in mind that it works only in some particular situation: room size, room acoustic, music genre we play, loudspeakers characteristics, etc.

It's important to know, that compressor and equalizer are two totally different things and are used for different purpose. Everyone has different approach on them (I believe) and as long we're happy with result.. it's ok, I guess.
I won't go into how compressor & equalizer work and what consequences they have, because I already have a feeling that my posts tend to be too long  :) Anyway, I do recommend a little research on internet, so you get a general idea.

Basic rule is: keep settings moderate. Set compression somewhere on lower side and start with "flat" eq and then adjust until you get pleasant and natural sound. Don't change particular frequency by more than 3dB! Take time and listen in between.. and if you still think you need more bass (for example), then you maybe need to reduce some mid range frequency instead -in that case bass will appear more dominant, even you haven't changed it's level. Again, take time between changes.. play for 10-15minutes and then make another adjustment. You do that for an hour or two max and leave the rest for next day (with fresh hearing). And if it happens you think you need to set some frequency by more than 6dB, then there's something wrong with your settings at other frequencies.. or room acoustic is terrible.. or PA/speakers are bad.. or your hearing plays game with you  :)

When you're happy with result, invite a friend and ask him about his opinion. You don't need to follow his opinion, just take it as an opinion. And keep in mind: punchy bass can sound cool, but not necessary a good thing after listening music for longer period of time.
Write down your eq settings, because they are valid for your room only. If you move to another room, you will need new eq adjustment -but this time it will be easier and faster, because you know (from your room) what sound you wish to have.

And now finally, you start to play with compressor setting. Compressor has nothing to do with room acoustic. In simple terms, what compressor does is, it simulates percieved loudness. That is by increasing compression, music will be percieved louder than it actually is. Many times compression is increased in case PA system doesn't have enough power (in open space, for example). Without going into how that happens, just be aware that by increasing compression, there's loss in dynamic -which is not good, obviously.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, Dave Shively

Online bpsafran

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 07:33:45 PM »
Thanks BogdanH.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 04:07:14 PM »
Now, if you wish to hear that keyboard sizzle, I suggest trying these settings:

EQ1 = +4
EQ2 = +2
EQ3 = +2
EQ4 + +4
EQ5 + +8

This will really bring out those lows and provide a lot of punch for the bass sounds, keep the vocals and mid range sounds within soft yet bright limits, while those high hats cymbals, drums and snare sounds will sizzle/

Give it a try - I think you will be pleasantly surprised,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively