Author Topic: Freddy Maynell's Gig Disks  (Read 2100 times)

Freddy Maynell's Gig Disks
« on: April 27, 2023, 11:09:59 PM »
Hello. I have just downloaded Freddy Maynells Gig Disk for Buskers, have unzipped it and loaded the files onto a USB stick expecting it to load up and play on my Tyros 5, unfortunately not. The Folder is there along with it's contents but when I select one of the registrations an error message appears saying " Data hasn't been loaded properly". can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong please. Other registrations on the same stick work fine. The FM files are in the RGT format.
These take me back to my Club and Dance Hall days so any help would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Den

Offline overover

Re: Freddy Maynell's Gig Disks
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 01:20:20 AM »
Hi Den,

Freddie Maynell's download >>> "101 Hits for Buskers: Books 1-4" (FMGigs_Hits1_4.ZIP) contains PSR-3000 Registration Bank files. While these are .rgt files, they are not directly compatible with the Tyros5.

I converted these PSR-3000 files for you with Murray Best's "Yamaha Registration Manager" for use with the Tyros5:
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/qj44513eit3ayjd/FMGigs_Hits1_4_ConvertedForTyros5.zip?dl=0

You don't need to log in or register on dropbox.com. If you get a corresponding pop-up, just close or ignore it and click on the Download (down-arrow) button.

Please note: Many of the included registrations use Preset styles and should therefore also work on the Tyros5. However, some of the registrations use User styles (which of course don't exist in your case). These registrations will not change the currently loaded style and will not work as expected.

In the text file "Audit Report.txt" included in my download you will find information about which User styles (called "Custom styles" here) are used in the individual registrations and in which folder on the USB stick these styles are expected.

The drive letter "I:/" means the USB stick connected first, i.e. USB1. Example: "I:/FAV BALLADS/PopWaltz.S711.prs" means that the relevant registration expects the style "PopWaltz.S711.prs" in the "FAV BALLADS" folder on the USB stick.

If you want to use different, suitable styles for the "non-working" registrations, you would have to load the Registration in question, load the Style manually, then re-memorize the settings on the same Registration button and finally re-save the BANK.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 04:53:02 PM »
Hi Chris.
WOW!
I never knew playing the Organ could sound so complicated.
I have used the link you sent and downloaded the files you converted, these are now happily playing on my T5, absolutely fantastic, takes me right back.
A huge "thank you" to you for your help and an even bigger thanks to the late Freddy Maynell for doing the original work, I wish I had known him.
Thanks again.
Den

The following users thanked this post: ilieionesi

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 12:04:57 AM »
You"re welcome, Den! Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad to could help you. :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Ernie

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 03:38:53 PM »
In the past I had some contact via this PSR forum with Freddy.
He really was a good guy and a forumfriend.! That's for shore!
I wonder if he is still here on this planet? I hope he is!

Ernie

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 04:10:03 PM »

Ernie

Probably just his remains because he died more than 11 years ago.
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463
Logitech Z623 Speakersystem

Offline Ernie

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 05:27:01 PM »
I missed that DuurDuur.. !
Thank you.
Painfull... I loved this guy as a musician and as a good forum member.!
 But I was allready afraid of this outcoming after a long time ...No see, no contact...! No answers..!

Ernie
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 05:33:09 PM by Ernie »

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2023, 10:46:42 AM »
In the past I had some contact via this PSR forum with Freddy.
He really was a good guy and a forumfriend.! That's for shore!

Ernie

There is a note by Joe Waters on Freddie Maynell's forum page that Freddie "died of an unexpected heart attack in May, 2011":
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/sty/gigDisks/GD_freddie.html

Best regards,
Chris

The following users thanked this post: Ernie, ilieionesi

Offline adrianed

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2023, 02:00:13 AM »
Hi Chris,
Thanks for converting Freddy’s gig disks to T5
Just looking at it now on the keyboard
Buskers Bk 1-1 or Buskers Bk 1-2 so on down the list
What does the -1 or the-2 stand for does it mean song one  or page one and 2 and so on
Just hope you might know
Regards,
Adrian
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 02:10:44 AM by adrianed »

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2023, 08:54:29 AM »
Hi Chris,
Thanks for converting Freddy’s gig disks to T5
Just looking at it now on the keyboard
Buskers Bk 1-1 or Buskers Bk 1-2 so on down the list
What does the -1 or the-2 stand for does it mean song one  or page one and 2 and so on
Just hope you might know
Regards,
Adrian

Hi Adrian,

On Freddie Maynell's forum page you can find a list of which songs are included in which of the "101 Hits for Buskers" Books 1 - 4:
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/sty/gigDisks/GD_freddie.html

Please also download the original zip file (intended for PSR-3000) from there. After unpacking the zip file you will find the text file "SongList.txt" and the Excel file "Index.xls" in addition to the PSR-3000 .rgt files. These files each contain an alphabetically sorted list of all songs, including information on which Registration the song is to be played with.

The first number in the file names of the Registration files is the number of the relevant Busker Book (1 -4), the second number is a sequential number.

Examples:
The song "A Spoonful Of Sugar" has the number "Buskers Bk3 1.1" in the mentioned song list (.txt or .xls). That means:
Registration file "Buskers Bk 3-1", Registration Button #1

The song "And I Love You So" has the number "Buskers Bk1 5.3" in the song list. That means:
Registration file "Buskers Bk 1-5", Registration Button #3

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 08:56:18 AM by overover »

Offline adrianed

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2023, 12:57:09 PM »
Thanks Chris
That helps a lot
I shall look at Freddie’s registrations on the site as you suggest
Adrian