Author Topic: quick recording not working  (Read 2056 times)

Offline micktheplumber

quick recording not working
« on: May 02, 2023, 12:45:01 PM »
Good afternoon
i have just tried to do a quick recording ,and i got a notice saying FILE NOT FOUND OR FILE NAME IS INAPPROPRIATE, the midi works and the multi record pops up as should,
any help much appreciated.
Mick

Offline EileenL

Re: quick recording not working
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 01:49:36 PM »
Have you selected New Song in recorder.

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 01:50:21 PM »
Press Direct Access followed by Exit.
That should clear it.
It is usually because some other file window is still open or in use.
Keith.
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

The following users thanked this post: YammyFan

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 01:57:21 PM »
Good afternoon
i have just tried to do a quick recording ,and i got a notice saying FILE NOT FOUND OR FILE NAME IS INAPPROPRIATE, the midi works and the multi record pops up as should,
any help much appreciated.
Mick

Hi Mick,

It could possibly be because other displays are/were open in the background besides the MIDI Quick Recording display. I generally recommend pressing "Direct Access > Exit button" first to bring up the Home display and making sure all other displays are closed. Edit: Keith (Divemaster) already mentioned this.)

Then go to MIDI Quick Recording and make sure it says "New Song" before recording. To cancel the recording, touch [Stop] on the display, and then press the [EXIT] button, before doing a new recording.

After you finish your performance, touch [Stop] to stop recording. Then touch [Save] to call up the Song Selection display and save the recording as a file (in the User drive or on the connected USB stick).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 07:01:17 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline micktheplumber

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 03:00:41 PM »
Hi there is a new song in the midi recorder if i stop it it does not solve anything when i go back to it its flashing ready to record ,i tried direct access ,and exit a couple of times no joy ,its the audio recorder i want to use but seems as though this title NEW SONG is stuck in the midi recorder and will not allow the audio recorder to operate . tried to save it but it wont save .

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2023, 05:04:41 PM »
Hi there is a new song in the midi recorder if i stop it it does not solve anything when i go back to it its flashing ready to record, i tried direct access, and exit a couple of times no joy, its the audio recorder i want to use but seems as though this title NEW SONG is stuck in the midi recorder and will not allow the audio recorder to operate. tried to save it but it wont save.

Hi Mick,

Sorry, I assumed it was about MIDI Quick Recording in this case. AUDIO Recording has nothing to do with MIDI Recording (except that they are accessed from the same Start display.

With AUDIO Quick Recording, it is automatically saved as a file when you stop the recording, i.e. you do not need to save it manually:

After you finish performance, touch [Stop] to stop recording. On Genos, recorded Audio data is automatically saved to User drive as a wave file with the name automatically set. The recorded Audio Song appears in the User category on the Song Selection display. If desired, you can also rename the Audio Song file there and/or copy it to a subfolder or to a USB stick.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 05:12:32 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2023, 05:11:45 PM »
Hi there is a new song in the midi recorder if i stop it it does not solve anything when i go back to it its flashing ready to record ,i tried direct access ,and exit a couple of times no joy ,its the audio recorder i want to use but seems as though this title NEW SONG is stuck in the midi recorder and will not allow the audio recorder to operate . tried to save it but it wont save .

We need more information, Mick. There is no need to save, as the audio recorder automatically saves the file.

Tell us specifically the steps you are going through, and where it goes wrong.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline micktheplumber

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 07:36:20 PM »
Hi i do not want to save anything in the audio it will not open ,i did put this in my original posting quick audio will not open because i cant close midi recorder ,i stop the midi recording go to x and close it then exit,go back in and try to open audio recorder, message displayed cant find file or not appropriate file name go to midi recording and record is on again,so it goes round tried refresh midi nothing,tried variuos suggested ways to close the midi program down but nothing seems to work.

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2023, 07:36:40 PM »
Good evening friends,
I am thinking aloud that when you ask a question about the operation of an arranger, it would be desirable to indicate the model and brand of it.
Answers could be provided more efficiently.
Then everyone does as they see fit.
Christian

Offline micktheplumber

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2023, 08:08:00 PM »
Sorry thought every body new as it was in the Genos column

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2023, 08:10:03 PM »
Good evening friends,
I am thinking aloud that when you ask a question about the operation of an arranger, it would be desirable to indicate the model and brand of it.
Answers could be provided more efficiently.
Then everyone does as they see fit.
Christian

Thanks for your note, Christian!

I also think it's good if in every request is stated which keyboard model it is exactly. In the present case, however, it is clear that it is about the Genos, because this thread was posted on the "Genos Recording & Song Player" board. ;)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 08:13:43 PM by overover »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2023, 11:40:56 PM »
Hi i do not want to save anything in the audio it will not open ,i did put this in my original posting quick audio will not open because i cant close midi recorder ,i stop the midi recording go to x and close it then exit,go back in and try to open audio recorder, message displayed cant find file or not appropriate file name go to midi recording and record is on again,so it goes round tried refresh midi nothing,tried variuos suggested ways to close the midi program down but nothing seems to work.

You make it difficult for people to help you, Mick. Why is it so hard for you to tell us the steps that you follow?

As your request is regarding recording an audio file, we don't want to hear anything about midi files. We just want to know the steps in the audio recording process, and at what point it goes wrong.

Let's start with "do not want to save anything in the audio it will not open".

First, you can't stop the audio recording from saving the audio file. It will do this on its own.

Tell us what steps you go through to find that "it will not open".

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2023, 11:54:27 PM »
I assume you are pressing the Audio record section first and then selecting record and then pressing the start button and playing your song.

Offline mikf

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2023, 12:59:11 AM »
Mick
You start out by saying the midi is fine. Not sure what you mean by that, but it sure sounds like you are actually recording midi when you think you are recording audio. Check the manual again to be sure you are correctly selecting audio.
As a secondary point, why are you directly recording to audio anyway. Most people would quick record to midi, then edit if necessary, then convert to audio. The end quality is the saying . At least that is how I would do it on the CVP. Is that choice not available on the Genos?
I would only record direct to audio when I absolutely had to …ie there was a live vocal or other live performance instrument.  Because audio is impossible to edit on the keyboard.  But midi is easy.
Mike
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 01:31:34 AM by mikf »

Offline YammyFan

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2023, 02:21:01 AM »
Press Direct Access followed by Exit.
That should clear it.
It is usually because some other file window is still open or in use.
Keith.
I agree totally.

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2023, 07:29:25 AM »
Hi fred
I ve been speaking to Mick
So what is actually happening is when he presses the ]Record Audio, instead of the usual` New song` it shows an error message the `file not found or inappropriate`.
N ow what he was saying about Midi although it should have no affect on audio is when you press Midi record
The New Song comes up but with 1.1 as though 1.1 seconds has been recorded but when you press stop it doesn`t save
like it should. And when you go back in the same thing happens. Song ready to record but at 1.1 second ?
He hasn`t much memory in User Has done a soft reset to no avail.

Offline micktheplumber

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2023, 07:50:32 AM »
Basically am trying to record a quick audio track but when i press to open it it comes up with a message file name not found or inaproprriate file name ,was suggested on here that there is another file open ....yes there is midi record ... but cannot exit this  .i am not adding anymore because i think i am just confusing things.thank you for any help

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2023, 08:19:59 AM »
Hi Mick

I am always humbled by the amount of help there is on these forums, and how incredibly knowledgeable some members are, but maybe Try Yamaha Support and see what they say?
I've only had to call them a couple of times here in the UK, but I have always been impressed by their help and speed of reply
Just a suggestion?
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline overover

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2023, 09:21:10 AM »
Hi Mick,

Colin (Whitecolin11) wrote above that you "don't have much memory in User drive". Maybe this is the problem.

The Genos User drive has a capacity of over 58 GB, so there is plenty of space. But maybe you have made a lot of Audio recordings and have not deleted anything or only a few of them so that there is only little space left. Then it would be no wonder if you get a corresponding error message.

Please go to "Menu > Utility > Storage" on Genos and see what value is displayed for User drive under "Available". Please post this value here. (See also the attached screenshot.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 09:24:52 AM by overover »

Offline micktheplumber

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2023, 11:33:11 AM »
Thank you all for your help,had to remove user styles and registrations a special factory
reset was done files reloaded now works fine,a standard factory reset did not work this ,was an engineers reset ,Many thanks to all that tried to help .
Mick