Author Topic: Chord Tracker Intro  (Read 1831 times)

Offline mhack

Chord Tracker Intro
« on: May 01, 2023, 03:36:04 PM »
Is it possible to record intro chord progression of Sx900 style?
Thanks
Mike

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Chord Tracker Intro
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 04:26:55 PM »
Is it possible to record intro chord progression of Sx900 style?
Thanks
Mike

No. You could record a midi while playing the intro. Then try to discern the chords used, but that’s the best you can do.

Cheers?
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline mhack

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 09:28:01 PM »
Thanks, Fred!
Mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 10:42:17 PM »
Chord tracker can be used by any style so you use the intro of the style you choose and play it and then switch on chord looper section.

Offline mhack

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 11:04:53 PM »
Thanks!
Mike

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2023, 12:37:52 AM »
It’s not clear to me what you want to do. You cannot record the intro chords into a looper, but why would you want to?
The progression is already recorded within the intro. You just play the intro and the correct chords play.
If you want to play your own intro over the intro progression, there are two ways. You can edit the intro in style creator, removing everything except accompaniment tracks, then when the intro is played you can play along with it.
Or you could identify the chords, then play them while you record onto the looper.
Mike

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2023, 10:10:50 PM »
No. You could record a midi while playing the intro. Then try to discern the chords used, but that’s the best you can do.

If it's a matter of identifying the chord progression in the Intro, it isn't necessary to record the Intro to MIDI. The style file is itself a Standard MIDI File (SMF). Transfer the style file to a personal computer, rename the file (i.e., change the extension to .MID) and import the MIDI file into a notation program or DAW. Then look at the MIDI notes in the Intro section of interest (either Intro 1, Intro 2 or Intro 3). All of the style sections have MIDI markers that identify the start of a section.

Or go by ear.  :)

Hope one of our suggestions help -- pj

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2023, 05:07:30 PM »
By ear - much easier.
I understand why some people cannot play by ear, where you have to identify and play the chord on the fly, but just identifying chords at your own pace is not hard. Match the root note, and you are almost there because there are really only three basic chord types - major, minor and diminished. All the other fancy chords are just altered versions of these.
Mike

Offline mhack

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023, 01:25:14 AM »
What I was trying to do is find out if an INTRO can be recorded as a audio file to be used in the chord looper. Fred said could not be done. That’s all. I have the current song written and am setting it up in the looper. Going to record my granddaughter this week-end singing the song. Chord Looper is a great aide to freeing up my hands for adding some staccato strings as background.  Thanks very much for the explanations and advice!
Mike

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2023, 02:28:06 AM »
What I was trying to do is find out if an INTRO can be recorded as a audio file to be used in the chord looper. Fred said could not be done. That’s all. I have the current song written and am setting it up in the looper. Going to record my granddaughter this week-end singing the song. Chord Looper is a great aide to freeing up my hands for adding some staccato strings as background.  Thanks very much for the explanations and advice!
Mike

Mike, that’s not what I said. You’re obviously not reading what we’re posting.

Many, including me, have asked why you want to loop an intro. You never answered.

And if all you care about is having your hands free, an intro is automatically hands free even without the help of the looper. You trigger the intro with one left hand chord, then your hand is free fir the entire length of the intro. What more do you want?

Cheers,
Fred

Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline mikf

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2023, 03:58:51 AM »
What I was trying to do is find out if an INTRO can be recorded as a audio file to be used in the chord looper.
Mike, That’s not actually what you asked. You asked if you can record the intro chord progression, not the intro.
In any case, now we know what you want to do, way to do this is to record the chord progression in the looper. Then start the intro and move smoothly into the  chord looper, while your granddaughter sings, you add whatever strings etc, ….and you are recording the whole thing as an audio.
But an even better way with less chance of error or putting off your granddaughter, is to prepare an accompaniment midi ahead of time. You would start the intro, then go into  the song via the looper, while you quick record the whole accompaniment as a midi. Once you get it how you want as a midi, then you are ready to simply play it back while your granddaughter sings over it, recording the whole thing as an audio file. Much more secure, and stress free.
BTW,  by preparing the accompaniment midi ahead of time, you may not even have to use the looper. Because you can add any number of additional tracks by multi tracking.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2023, 09:12:52 AM »
@mhack
Hi Mike,

The title of this topic is called "Chord Tracker Intro". Is your request actually related to the Yamaha "Chord Tracker" app (for iPad/iPhone or Andoid smart devices), or is the topic title just a typo and should be "Chord Looper Intro"?

Chord Tracker app product page:
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/pianos/apps/chord_tracker/index.html

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 02:34:41 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline mhack

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2023, 02:44:09 PM »
Sorry, Fred. My bad. I had downloaded Chord Tracker to my ipad. I really wanted to know about Chord Looper. Chris brought that to my attention. Thanks, Chris.
Mike

Offline mhack

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2023, 02:47:56 PM »
Thanks mikf for the info about midi recording. I have never done that but will dig into it today! Where there is a will there is a way!
My bride read all these posts and she gave me 50 lashes with a wet wheatie.
Thanks to all.
Mike

Offline mikf

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2023, 05:31:38 PM »
Mike
I just listened to a few of your songs and read your bio in the performers section. Not familiar with any of your songs, as I am not heavily into country music, but you are a heck of a good singer. And the right kind of voice for these songs. Your bio says you are 86, and if any of these songs are reasonably recent, that is amazing vocals at your age.
Using the method I described to make the backing on midi, and then singing live with it, while recording audio, would also be a good way for your vocal recording. It takes some of the pressure off trying to get everything right in one pass. 
When playing live gigs, I found the occasional small mistake hardly mattered, as it is instantly in the past. But on recordings can drive me crazy, and just have to fix them, because they are there forever - over and over - until it’s the only thing I hear! ;)
Mike
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 05:46:06 PM by mikf »