Author Topic: Midi Connected Keyboard to PSR SX900 - note transmission problems  (Read 1905 times)

Offline chadsolo

I have a Yamaha P121 (electric piano) connected to my PSR SX900 mainly because I like playing weighted keys.

It all works fine except when on the P121 I play very fast triplets ( eg B Bb A  probably 32nds)  when improvising. What happens is that I get a Cymbal crash on the A note. It also happen on two note upward or downward parts, the cymbal crash coming on the landing note. I'm not au fait with musical terminology so I'm not sure what these type of stylistic note patterns are called but they all involve quick movement between the notes . A good example would be tapping on a table with three fingers a horse galloping  :D

It doesn't happen every time but the cymbal crash seems to co-incide with a high velocity hit on the landing note .

I should add it doesn't happen on the PSR SX900 only when I play those runs of the P121 midi connected keyboard.

I don't know enough about Midi  to even start to think how this might be occuring so I am wondering if someone on this forum who does, may be able to help, as I often use those kind of runs in my improvisations.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 01:50:53 AM by chadsolo »

Re: Midi Connected Keyboard to PSR SX900 - note transmission problems
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 06:02:34 AM »
Hi,
How is your sx900 connected to p121.  Ie how are you connecting the two. I used to have the same setup.You might be getting latency. Happened to me when using iPad as an interface between the two.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 06:07:06 AM by rikkisbears »
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline chadsolo

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2023, 07:03:18 AM »
Thank for your message . I am connecting via a DOREMIDI High speed USB Midi host box...there doesnt seem to any issues with latency that I can hear.. It seems like some kind of weird message that is getting transmitted from the P121 to play a cymbal crash if I slide quickly one note to the other... it happens often enough (probs due to the way it hit the keys differently at different times) to be annoying unfortunately

Offline ayeff

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2023, 09:50:02 AM »
Hi Chadsolo,

I have a Doremidi box and SX900 which I can hook up to a NP32 and I haven't noticed any problems with the setup.

I can only suggest that you use a MIDI monitoring/recording program such as MIDIox or MIDI Wrench to see what MIDI messages are being sent.  Make sure you turn on the filter to stop Active Sensing though, or you'll get a constant screenfull of Active Sense messages!

Alan.

The following users thanked this post: chadsolo

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2023, 12:07:10 PM »
Hi, sorry can’t help. I only used mine for a home setup.
I just used my laptop and xg works sequencer as my hookup.
Midi in/out via sequencer.  Had considered buying some sort of a box, but at the time worked well enough for me.
Sorry can’t be of more help.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline chadsolo

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2023, 01:25:49 PM »
Thanks for the messages , I will look into it further and see if I can sort it..Cheers

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2023, 03:14:33 PM »
I have a Yamaha P121 (electric piano) connected to my PSR SX900 mainly because I like playing weighted keys.

It all works fine except when on the P121 I play very fast triplets ( eg B Bb A  probably 32nds)  when improvising. What happens is that I get a Cymbal crash on the A note. It also happen on two note upward or downward parts, the cymbal crash coming on the landing note. I'm not au fait with musical terminology so I'm not sure what these type of stylistic note patterns are called but they all involve quick movement between the notes . A good example would be tapping on a table with three fingers a horse galloping  :D

Hi chadsolo,

Does the described problem occur while playing with a style?

If so, then you probably trigger the "Chord Cancel" function by playing three adjacent notes almost simultaneously in the chord detection area, which automatically plays a crash cymbal sound. To avoid this, you could set the fingering to "Multi Finger".

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2023, 10:35:19 PM »
Hi,
what’s your midi set up, maybe something going on with that. I had all sorts of issues setting my PA5x and sx900 setup, though I think it was fairly straightforward with the p121. Unfortunately been a few years.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline chadsolo

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2023, 01:26:01 PM »
In reply to Chris , yes it only seems to happen when playing a style. I experimented with different settings for the Fingering and found that the only setting that the cymbal crash wasn’t triggered in was full keyboard.

And riikisbears re my midi setup  just the P121 into the Doremidi USB Midi host box with the USB cable and standard midi cable out from that box into the PSR SX900. It works perfectly apart from the issue mentioned.

Thanks for the replies.

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2023, 10:51:56 PM »
Hi, sorry I wasn’t clear, which midi set up are you using in the keyboard ie under midi settings, or did you create your own.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline chadsolo

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2023, 11:46:31 PM »
Hi rikkisbears.....yes sorry, I entered Receive settings Port 1 Chn 1 Keyboard....that's all I did as I recall ( it was a while ago)
I haven't done anything with whatever generic output settings exist on the P121 ( I just turn the volume down and play away) I do have the expression pedal plugged into the P121.

I never looked any further than that but now as I scroll down I notice the additional following settings

Port 1
Chn 9 Keyboard

Port 2
Chn 1 Keyboard
Chn2 Right1
Chn3 Right2
Chn 4 Right3
Chn5 Left
Chn6 Extra Part 1
Chn7 Extra Part 2
Chn8 Extra Part 3
Chn9 StyleRhythm1
Chn10 StyleRhythm2
Chn11 Style bass
Chn12 Style Chord1
Chn13 Style Chord2
Chn14 Style Pad
Chn15 Style Phrase1
Chn16 Style Phrase2

As far as the Channel settings all the boxes are ticked for all channels on Port 1 and Port 2 (Note CC PC PB and AT) except for Port 2 channel 9-16 where AT is not ticked

If any of those may have something to do with it.

Thanks

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2023, 06:12:35 AM »
Hi,
Unfortunately I deleted the settings I had for my setup, when I sold my p121 and I don’t think my settings for PA5x would work, because I have 2 arrangers connected via midi.
I think it’s your ch 9 keyboard that might be  the problem. Keyboard setting is the setting to receive the chords. Ch9 is also one of the channels used by a style track.
I wouldn’t use channels 9 to 16 for “keyboard “ setting.
Your p121 has be sending a matching midi out channel to midi in channel  for “keyboard setting. “
Before you try anything , save the midi setting you have as user. It is at least working.
Try channels 6, or , 7 or 8. on port 1, set to Keyboard.

On the bottom  of the midi setting page “ chord detect” on the bottom Recieve monitor,  little green lights pop up to tell you which channel’s you’re receiving on. Port 1 or 2 and which channels. You can stay on that page and monitor while you play something.
Are you actually receiving anything on port 2?

I’m hoping your problem might be as simple as that ch9 set to “keyboard”.

Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2023, 07:11:37 AM »
Hey Rikki :

I hope you are doing well. :)

Connecting 2 keyboards and using them together - combined with external interfaces - for recording in a DAW e.g. is not so simple ( at least for me ). I have still to learn a lot.  ;)
Last week I added a new Korg Kross2 synth to my Tyros4.
A synth is a completely new challenge for me but apparently I am very motivated.  :D
I wonder if this new setup will ever work in XGW ... I really doubt it ... making a Korg synth voice list for me will not be easy, I am afraid.
I guess XGW might be over for me.  :P

I am experiencing questions I cannot answer due to lack of sufficient knowledge ... I tell myself learning keeps me young. :D

I am very lucky and grateful members of this Forum are always there to help me out and to support me.

Take care.
Best wishes, Jeff

« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 07:19:58 AM by Jeff Hollande »

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2023, 10:12:17 PM »
Hey Rikki :

I hope you are doing well. :)

Connecting 2 keyboards and using them together - combined with external interfaces - for recording in a DAW e.g. is not so simple ( at least for me ). I have still to learn a lot.  ;)
Last week I added a new Korg Kross2 synth to my Tyros4.
A synth is a completely new challenge for me but apparently I am very motivated.  :D
I wonder if this new setup will ever work in XGW ... I really doubt it ... making a Korg synth voice list for me will not be easy, I am afraid.
I guess XGW might be over for me.  :P

I am experiencing questions I cannot answer due to lack of sufficient knowledge ... I tell myself learning keeps me young. :D

I am very lucky and grateful members of this Forum are always there to help me out and to support me.

Take care.
Best wishes, Jeff

Hi Jeff, unfortunately been many years since I used a Daw for songs, and then it was only for editing midi files.
I only use xgworks for style editing my so a voice list is not necessary for me, the bank and program changes are embedded in the file.

Personally if it was me , I’d be recording my backing track style in my sx900. Loading it into xgworks. Then just record the additional  Korg melody tracks into xgworks.  Personally  I wouldn’t try and replace Yamaha sounds with Korg sounds in style parts, or just keep recording your Yamaha songs as you are already and just record the additional Korg tracks.
You can add program and bank changes manually, but a voice list would be better. Someone I think did a video clip on how to do it, but still a long process.

Xgworks has multiple midi inputs/outputs, but your midi interface needs to have a couple of midi outs so that both keyboard can play their parts

The only time I’d hook the keyboards up via midi would be if you wanted to play melody voices on Korg  instead of on tyros in real-time.

Learning new stuff does keep the mind active.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline chadsolo

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2023, 05:52:06 AM »
Thanks to everyone and apologies for my late reply I have been away for a week.

I tried the settings you mentioned (rikkisbears )unfortunately it didn't fix the issue
All the information was coming in on Port 1.

I notice that it happens when the Style is playing and finger mode is set to anything other than Full Keyboard.

Interestingly it happens in the R1 area of the keyboard not lower so whilst it seems to have something to do with chord detection the settings where it happens ( not Full Keyboard) and the location it is triggered (R1), seems counter intuitive to me

I notice that it happens when the Style is playing and finger mode is set to anything other than Full Keyboard.

I will see if I can try a few other settings in the meantime.

Offline overover

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2023, 05:42:47 PM »
Hi chadsolo,

Please go to "Menu > MIDI > Chord Detect" on the SX900 and make sure there are NO ticks. If one or more ticks are currently set there, this is probably the reason for the problem you describe. If you make changes here, you have to save the current MIDI template again.

Basically, I recommend the following procedure:

- On the P-121, make sure the MIDI Transmit Channel is set to 1. You can do this by holding down the "Metronome" and "Rhythm" buttons at the same time while pressing the "C#4" key.

- Now select the MIDI template "MIDI OFF" on the SX900. (No MIDI signals are sent or received now.)

- Then go to the "Receive" tab in the MIDI display. For "Port1 Ch1" set the Part from "Off" to "Keyboard".

- Now touch the "▶" icon to get to the other page and make sure that for "Port1 Ch1" only "Note" is ticked. (See also the attached screenshots.)

- Touch the "Save" icon and save the current settings as a User MIDI template, e.g. named "P-121 Ch1".

- Make sure that the newly saved template is actually selected and then close the MIDI display (press the Exit button or touch the X icon).

I hope these hints help to solve your problem. With these settings, the Chord Cancel function should never be triggered when playing in the Right section. And if you select the fingering type "Multi Finger" or specify a separate keyboard section for the Left part (in the Split Point display of the SX900), this should no longer occur when playing in the Left section.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 05:52:52 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: RobertM, chadsolo

Offline chadsolo

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2023, 02:11:50 AM »
Thanks Overover

I followed the full procedure as described (checking Chord detect and resetting the Midi template) and that seems to have done the trick! I have tried several ways to reproduce the initial issue/problem and have not been able to do it.

Much appreciated.