Author Topic: How to search and load a song from a playlist?  (Read 1494 times)

Offline yogi62

How to search and load a song from a playlist?
« on: April 28, 2023, 02:52:14 PM »
Hi All,

(SX900)
I've searched the user manual and reference manuals but cannot find how to search for a song within a playlist and load that song/style etc. I have a playlist of 250 pages worth of songs and need to find a way to quickly access a given song without having to scroll all through the playlist. If I use the search button from within the playlist it appears to search just registrations and asks if I want to add whatever it finds to playlist?

Any and all help appreciated

Offline Divemaster

Re: How to search and load a song from a playlist?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 03:05:08 PM »
Unfortunately there is no quick way to do this.
Either start at the top A and scroll down to say M or from the bottom and scroll up to the same letter, depending on which letter of the alphabet your song starts with.
The same is the case on the SX700.

On the Tyros you could do it alphabetically..... They call it progress. It IS frustrating. The ONLY way to get around it is to compile your own playlist, but you'll still have the same search issue.

Search automatically sends you to registrations.
Not what we want....

Keith.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 03:10:42 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline yogi62

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 03:51:34 PM »
Thanks for the quick response Keith, much appreciated.

It seems crazy that this is not a feature that has been implemented, I have a 250 page playlist of songs (see below) and to not be able to search or go straight to a given song is a real pain in the backside.....

I download the excellent free playlist from Emanuel Meier's site: https://tyros5.ch/tyros5_musicfindertipp.htm

The site appears to be in German and I couldn't find a way to say thanks for such a great freebie, I looked to see if he was listed as a PSR member, but did not see him listed?

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster

Offline Lacko

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 03:52:58 PM »
I have playlist divided into 8 or 9 categories like Waltz, Tango, Boogie, ... In each category I keep about 40 - 50 songs alphabetically ordered. Then it is simple to find what I need.

Offline yogi62

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 10:03:42 PM »
Thank you for the tip. I appreciate that the best way forward is to do the same as you have done, however, for now all I wanted to do was search and load from the playlist, which apparently is not an option.

thanks.

Offline Lacko

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 07:58:09 AM »
To load a song from playlist is simple. When you find your song in the playlist, you tap on it and on right bottom side of screen you can see LOAD button. Tap on it and song is loaded.

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 08:18:22 AM »
To load a song from playlist is simple. When you find your song in the playlist, you tap on it and on right bottom side of screen you can see LOAD button. Tap on it and song is loaded.

Thanks Lacko, but loading a song isn't the problem.

FINDING songs on playlists with well over 1500 or 2000 songs on them is the problem.

You can't load the song until you've found it, and there is no way of doing that quickly. Try it with (say) the Tyros 5 playlist and you'll see what we mean.

Keith
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

madirv

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2023, 08:38:15 AM »
Hi yogi62,
I had the same problem when I bought the SX900 a few months back.  I rang the store where I had bought it and asked that question.  (the store gives you lifelong customer support when you purchase a KB from them).  The chappie told me that pressing the Search button does not work for the playlist---apparently its not meant to-----he told me to:-

1.    Press the 2 Registration buttons together (or the top of the screen where the reg is shown)
2.   Then press Search.
3.   Tap the bar next to Regist Search
4.   Type song title (or just a word from the title) and the keyboard then searches everything including the Playlists and lists all the places where that song/music can be found.   
This is warp speed compared to trying to find a song in the built in playlists
Hope this helps
Irene

PS-----Following the other posts below i have just timed it and it literally takes 5 seconds to find any song on the playlist or anywhere else on the keyboard and this is the method the Yamaha employees say to use.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 10:45:01 AM by madirv »

Offline Lacko

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2023, 09:50:20 AM »
Thanks Lacko, but loading a song isn't the problem.

FINDING songs on playlists with well over 1500 or 2000 songs on them is the problem.

You can't load the song until you've found it, and there is no way of doing that quickly. Try it with (say) the Tyros 5 playlist and you'll see what we mean.

Keith

Yes, I know. Some 3 posts above I wrote about my way of searching, or better about organizing playlists - „I have playlist divided into 8 or 9 categories like Waltz, Tango, Boogie, ... In each category I keep about 40 - 50 songs alphabetically ordered. Then it is simple to find what I need.“ But yogi62 repeatedly asked about searching AND loading, and all answers were just about missing search function. Therefore my answer JUST ABOUT loading. Hopefully it helped a little.

Offline Lacko

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2023, 10:06:44 AM »
There is also software Yamaha Playlist Manager https://mvsoft.weebly.com/yamaha-playlist-manager.html.
I don't use it, but maybe it can enable you to better organize that big playlist into smaller parts and thus to find a song faster.

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2023, 11:32:18 AM »
Hi yogi62,
I had the same problem when I bought the SX900 a few months back.  I rang the store where I had bought it and asked that question.  (the store gives you lifelong customer support when you purchase a KB from them).  The chappie told me that pressing the Search button does not work for the playlist---apparently its not meant to-----he told me to:-

1.    Press the 2 Registration buttons together (or the top of the screen where the reg is shown)
2.   Then press Search.
3.   Tap the bar next to Regist Search
4.   Type song title (or just a word from the title) and the keyboard then searches everything including the Playlists and lists all the places where that song/music can be found.   
This is warp speed compared to trying to find a song in the built in playlists
Hope this helps
Irene

PS-----Following the other posts below i have just timed it and it literally takes 5 seconds to find any song on the playlist or anywhere else on the keyboard and this is the method the Yamaha employees say to use.

Thanks for this Irene, and yes I did know about this way of doing it, where you are basically loading the Registration for the song.

It IS quicker, but seems to make the idea of even having playlists (old MFD files) pretty well superfluous.

Just very surprised that having had the alphabetical Music Finder database on every version of Tyros, and worked very well, that it wasn't carried over to the newer models.
Typing stuff in is all a bit of a pain and a bit old hat these days, but they call it progress I suppose..

That said my eyesight is pretty well shot I have enough trouble finding the keyboard    ;D

Keith.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 11:34:44 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

madirv

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2023, 11:38:27 AM »
That said my eyesight is pretty well shot I have enough trouble finding the keyboard    ;D

LOL here Keith.
Yamaha guys did say you cant use the search button in connection with the playlist and that was how to find a song on the Playlist.
Cheers ;D ;D ;D

Offline yogi62

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2023, 01:41:50 PM »
Hi madirv,

Many thanks to you and all that have taken the time to reply. I'll give this a go and see what happens. Unfortunately, it still leaves the situation where I cannot search the playlist directly.

Lacko,
Thank you for your response. It did know how to 'load' from the play list, perhaps my question should have been more clear and was a little ambiguous. What I was looking for was a way to search the playlist and then load. It was the firs part I was having a problem with.

Thanks all