Author Topic: Chord Hold  (Read 1447 times)

Chord Hold
« on: April 27, 2023, 06:54:38 AM »
Hello,

I have read the manual and searched and can't seem to find what I'm looking for, so hoping someone here will know what I'm asking.  It's hard to explain but I use to have a Korg that had a button that I could press to accomplish this action but can't find this option in my Yamaha.

Currently if you have the ACMP button turned on, but don't start the style you can hold a chord and it will play the bass and accomplishment sound but as soon as you lift off your flinger it stops. I want to be able to hold that chord. 

I hope this makes any sense at all.

Offline reya

Re: Chord Hold
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 08:43:43 AM »
Sounds like you may have the 'Sync Stop' button active. This will indeed cause the style to stop playing, when you lift your fingers from the chord keys.
Try switching the 'Sync Stop' off. (it is located near the Start/Stop button of the ACMP)

Rudy
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 08:47:57 AM by reya »
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 02:20:18 PM »
No sync stop is not active.  I don't want the actual style to play yet meaning that i'm not starting the style by either start/stop or sync start button.  I just want the lower chord to play as a man made intro if you will but I don't want to hold it as I need the left hand free to do other things like joy stick.

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 02:53:28 PM »
No sync stop is not active.  I don't want the actual style to play yet meaning that i'm not starting the style by either start/stop or sync start button.  I just want the lower chord to play as a man made intro if you will but I don't want to hold it as I need the left hand free to do other things like joy stick.

The chord isn't going to hold without ACMP on. Otherwise piano players would be most upset their chord holds after they've released the keys.

You can have ACMP on with a style volume of 0. That should do what you want.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline brucerez

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 06:09:00 PM »
Hello,

I have read the manual and searched and can't seem to find what I'm looking for, so hoping someone here will know what I'm asking.  It's hard to explain but I use to have a Korg that had a button that I could press to accomplish this action but can't find this option in my Yamaha.

Currently if you have the ACMP button turned on, but don't start the style you can hold a chord and it will play the bass and accomplishment sound but as soon as you lift off your flinger it stops. I want to be able to hold that chord. 

I hope this makes any sense at all.

Hi Amir,
I know what you mean and myself am looking for a solution like you, that means, playing a chord with LH voice (e.g. String voice) and Bass (from Accompaniment track) without running the style like in Korg Arrangers.

The best I can do so far, is to set the LH to a string voice, doing some setting for Volume, Pan, Effects, etc... and then:
1- Turn on ACMP button.
2- Turn on Left and Hold Left buttons.
3- Save on a OTS, save also the Style (not possible to save LH in Registration).
4- Before starting playing with your left hand, turn off the SYNC START button.

That way we can play and hold LH voice but not hearing the Bass voice from accompaniment track.

Hope that helps.

The following users thanked this post: sardonyx

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 06:24:35 PM »
... The best I can do so far, is to set the LH to a string voice, doing some setting for Volume, Pan, Effects, etc... and then:
1- Turn on ACMP button.
2- Turn on Left and Hold Left buttons.
3- Save on a OTS, save also the Style (not possible to save LH in Registration).
4- Before starting playing with your left hand, turn off the SYNC START button.

That way we can play and hold LH voice but not hearing the Bass voice from accompaniment track. ...

Hi Bruce,

The Left Part settings belong to STYLE parameter group. Therefore, in order to memorize panel settings such as Left Voice settings, Left Part On/Off status and Left Hold On/Off status in Registrations, the STYLE checkbox must be ticked (in the dialog after pressing the Memory button).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 06:27:41 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline brucerez

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 07:13:55 PM »
Hi Bruce,

The Left Part settings belong to STYLE parameter group. Therefore, in order to memorize panel settings such as Left Voice settings, Left Part On/Off status and Left Hold On/Off status in Registrations, the STYLE checkbox must be ticked (in the dialog after pressing the Memory button).

Best regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris for your reply.

I agree with you that we are able to save the LH and Hold Left buttons setting (e.g. ON/OFF) in a Registration but
what I meant is that Registration can not save the LH Voices (e.g. Pad or String voices). Since the later is saved inside each OTS.

What personally I would wish to achieve, independently of OTS, is to save LH Voice in a registration.
For example I want to have only one registration memory file (with different voices for LH on each 8 reg. buttons) and use it with whatever style I choose to play in live performances.

Thanks anyway.

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2023, 07:38:07 PM »
Thanks Chris for your reply.

I agree with you that we are able to save the LH and Hold Left buttons setting (e.g. ON/OFF) in a Registration but
what I meant is that Registration can not save the LH Voices (e.g. Pad or String voices). Since the later is saved inside each OTS.

What personally I would wish to achieve, independently of OTS, is to save LH Voice in a registration.
For example I want to have only one registration memory file (with different voices for LH on each 8 reg. buttons) and use it with whatever style I choose to play in live performances.

Thanks anyway.

The Left Voice is part of the Style group. As long as Style is checked when memorizing the registration, it will be remembered.

The problem now is you also have a style memorized that you don’t want. To get around this, create a user style, memorize it, then delete it. Now the registration will load the left voice, but not the style (because it can’t find it).

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: brucerez

Offline brucerez

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2023, 11:30:29 PM »
The Left Voice is part of the Style group. As long as Style is checked when memorizing the registration, it will be remembered.

The problem now is you also have a style memorized that you don’t want. To get around this, create a user style, memorize it, then delete it. Now the registration will load the left voice, but not the style (because it can’t find it).

Cheers,
Fred

Thanks Fred for the suggestion, appreciated.
I will try it.

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2023, 05:43:44 AM »
Thank you all.