Author Topic: Yamaha or Korg  (Read 9843 times)

Offline EileenL

Re: Yamaha or Korg
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2023, 03:04:31 PM »
You can download extra playlists from the Yamaha download site. You must use these
from a USB stick which must register USB1 on your keyboard.

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2023, 03:09:27 PM »
Hi Scannie.
You need to check out the main homesite index.
Under the headings at the top are quite literally tens of thousands of downloads that you can use on your SX700.
I see you mention Playlists, and MIDI. They are different.

At it's most basic

A playlist gives you a long list of songs, from which you choose a suggested accompaniment for what you want to play. It does NOT play the song for you. You have to do that.

MIDI files however, will play a song for you, and you can play along with it. I think that's what you wanted, so go through the MIDI files and download the ones you like onto a USB stick.
Take a look.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 04:58:36 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline scannie

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2023, 05:37:48 PM »
I understand the difference between a playlist and midi.
I want to learn the melody of a song (Elvis Presley, always on my mind) via midi.
Muting the melody is an option.

Next step is to find a style and play the song by myselves and adding the chords.   
But then I need to find out if there is a style for this song.
That is the function of the playlist when I understand it correctly.
The platylist database is empty (6 factory items only).

Suggestions are welcome  :)

Offline mikf

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2023, 06:02:26 PM »
Should you not be learning how to read music first? Some people can learn to play melodies by ear, but most read the notes from music. I don't think playing along with a midi as a total beginner will be very easy.
Mike

Offline scannie

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2023, 06:16:58 PM »
You are right, I have to learn that too.
I want use music notes, to learn reading it and find the correct notes on the keyboard.
In this case the melody notes for the Elvis Presley song.

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2023, 06:33:55 PM »
I try to find a style for a song that I have in mind.
I tried to use the suggestion from Mikf But when I select that option, it shows only 6 songs.
Do I need to download a list first?

Hi again Scannie

Ok. So you want a playlist. I'd suggest that you download the Playlist  for the Tyros 5 which has a very good selection of Songs on it (around 2000 in total) including Always on my mind, which is the one you say you want.

So follow this.

Go to the HOME PAGE of the PSR website . The HOMEPAGE, not the forum. If you're in the forum there's a direct link to it on the top right of the page called PSR Tutorial Support. Click on this.

Now look along the top of the page and click on the tab called STYLES.
Scroll down to where it says OTHER FILES and click on it
Under this you will find MUSIC FINDER FILES.
Now, go right down the page until you see two boxes shaded blue with dark blue headers.
In the bottom box carefully click on Tyros5.mfd   (not tyros 5 txt).
This will now download to your PC.

Copy this file to a Memory Stick.

Now go to your SX, and put the memory stick into the usb slot.
Press the Expansion User button to the left of your screen, then press USB1
You can now see the contents of your USB drive.
Click on the tyros.mfd file and you will get a window telling you that the keyboard needs to convert the files to use on your SX. Press Yes and the conversion will commence.
It takes about 6 minutes, so be patient.
Once finished you will get a message to tell you that it has been done, and that to use it you should have your OTS Link button lit whilst using it. This is next to your ACMP button .
Now.....you will have 2 files One has a magnifying glass next to it. The other looks like a file. It's the second one you need.
Press it, and then press the Playlist button and you will see that you now have the whole playlist from Tyros 5.
Select the song you want using either the arrow keys or the scroll wheel, and press on it, and then press LOAD (bottom right of the screen) and the keyboard will set up a style (registration) suitable for your song. You will see a green tick next to the song you have chosen.
Press Acmp, Ots link and Auto fill in. Select an introduction... Maybe 2, and a Variation say 2, and then press the Synch Start button.
Now, as soon as you play a chord with your left hand, your music will start.

Then......Over to you.

Happy playing.

Keith
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 12:01:33 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline EileenL

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2023, 11:40:55 PM »
Tyros 5 did not have a Play list. It was a music finder which is quite different.

Offline scannie

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2023, 05:25:41 AM »
That means the explanation from Keith doesn’t work on a PSR-SX700?

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2023, 07:22:38 AM »
I can assure you that it does Eileen.
I have playlists from pretty well all of the Tyros models and from other more recent instruments, all converted from MFD files exactly as I have described. Be interesting to know if the SX900 doesn't do it, although I can't think why it wouldn't?
Maybe it doesn't work on the SX900, but it certainly does on the SX700.

Keith
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 08:30:15 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2023, 07:50:00 AM »
Hi Eileen

Just nipped down to get my morning cuppa so I checked and I have all the Tyros Playlists apart from Tyros 1. Converted just as I have described.

These are converted from the original MFD files just as I have described.

Kindest regards
Keith.
 :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 07:51:02 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2023, 07:57:49 AM »
If you haven't seen this Scannie.
I HAVE an SX700 .... Yes... It works just fine. Just follow the instructions I have sent you.
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline Lacko

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2023, 10:57:25 AM »
Hi again Scannie

Now go to your SX, and put the memory stick into the usb slot.
Press the Expansion User button to the left of your screen, then press USB1
You can now see the contents of your USB drive.

Keith

I tried this and it works fine, just with one change. I had to press Playlist button on the right of the screen and then USB1. By pressing Expansion/User button I couldn't see that mfd file.

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2023, 11:06:24 AM »
Great!
Glad you've got it. Now get down to some learning.
Any problems we are all here to help you.

Keith
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline EileenL

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2023, 12:54:08 PM »
In saying that Tyros 5 did not have playlist but Music finder instead I did not say that they could not be converted to Play list on newer keyboards. Of course they can not be used in the same way as you did on Tyros and it can be a chore scrolling down all the files to find the one you want.

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2023, 01:06:46 PM »
Hi Eileen.
Crossed wires obviously and I'm glad that Scannie has been able to work it out.
He's a complete novice, and I'm just trying to get him up and running, although I think he will benefit from some lessons.
No intention to be 'smart' as I know how very respected you are on the forums, and indeed helped me out when I bought mine. So please put it down to my eagerness to help this new member. I would never wish to offend.
Kind regards
Keith.
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline Lacko

« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2023, 01:20:12 PM »
Hi Divemaster,

it was me - Lacko - who successfully tried your advice on tyros5 conversion. As for scannie, we have to wait until he will post his answer.
But I have a question. When looking into that from tyros5 converted .tsv file, there is interesting file structure, like C:/REGIST/Tyros5MF/xxxx.....rgt Does really exist that Tyros5MF directory in SX700 with all corresponding registrations? Was it created during conversion?

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2023, 01:26:36 PM »
Hi Lacko
Sorry for the confusion.... I'm 76 and my eyesight is not good.
YES... As part of the conversion, the SX automatically creates Registration files for the whole playlist.
So you can access those by pressing the 2 Registration bank buttons together. Makes searching much easier.

You don't have to limit yourself to one playlist. You can have several.

Hope that helps.

Keith
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline mikf

« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2023, 03:36:19 PM »
Just as a matter of interest, and returning to the nub of the thread, - is there anyone here on the forum who bought an arranger late in life with absolutely no previous musical knowledge and actually stuck with it long enough to  play, without going to one to one lessons, and didn’t give up?
By absolutely no musical knowledge I include ….never went to lessons while young even on a completely different instrument, never dabbled with another instrument, never was able to pick out a tune on a piano, never played even a little a bit but not well and a long time ago …….
If that is you and you succeeded, maybe sharing how you did it might help the OP.
Mike

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2023, 03:50:37 PM »
Good point Mike, and although I can both read music and use a rather strange alphabetical note system after breaking 4 fingers due to various growing up accidents, I will run this past you.

When I was young, we had a beaten up old foot bellows operated Harmonium given to us by a neighbour.
I used to play that completely by ear, and get some really decent music out of it.
But then came 'lessons' and my teacher Mr Payne literally beat that out of me. I HAD to play  from handwritten music and if I got a note wrong, I got whacked on the fingers with a ruler! See my performer page for the cruelty this guy meted out.

As a result I quite literally forgot how to play by ear.

If our op CAN play by ear, then I hope he succeeds, but as I sure you know, learning on an arranger is probably gonna be one **** of a learning curve.

But I hope we can all encourage him... Determination can be a wonderful thing.

Keith.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 03:53:07 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2023, 04:15:21 PM »
Hi Mike,

I think I fall under that category. Though I did take piano lessons when I was young, I eventually quit. I played in an orchestra when I was in school, I eventually stopped when I went to college. So I have some musical background but kinda reset myself to zero every time. 2017 is when I started dabbling on the arranger side with the S770. I forgot how to read musical notes so I would be lost if one was given to me, but I do read chords. I am basically a rhythm player, give me the chords and a sample of the song and I can try to replicate it. Now I have the SX900. On sundays I started a while back playing for a church as a synth/pads player reading off chords. Acmp wise, I record for a program that airs every tuesday for a youtube channel. My keyboard basically gets used every week.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2023, 05:22:05 PM »
hi Mike,
I'm not sure I fall into your category... so just in short:
When I was about 9 or 10 years old, parents bought me "toy accordion" which I was quite crazy about. Ok, keys weren't really on the right pitch, but I managed to play some simple children songs which I learned by ear. As my parents probably "smelled talent", they sent me to accordion music school, which I attended for about two years -just enough to learn reading notes and being able to play some more "serious" music. Finally, at age of twelve I lost interest and totally quit.
I bought some keyboard (also kinda toy) more than three decades later.. just for fun. However I was too busy, so I gave it away after few months.

My first keyboard was PSR-S670 which I bough sometime in 2019. Yes, I did remember how to read (basic) music notation, although that wasn't really of some help at beginning. And so my personal opinion is: having "sense for music" (and decent hearing) is crucial -ability to read notes can't substitute that. It's like... one can read french text, but he doesn't understand it :) But it's also true: to improve, it helps a lot if we start learning musical notes.. actually one can't avoid that.
Now I'm 64... So yes, if motivated enough, I do believe one can learn playing "nice" music without having musical education.

But... many expect the learning will come by itself, because they think it comes down to pushing the right button. Those usually quit after few months, I guess.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline scannie

« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2023, 05:31:28 PM »
Hi Keith,

Thank lot for your help.
I tried but it went wrong.

You wrote
In the bottom box carefully click on Tyros5.mfd   (not tyros 5 txt).
When I download this file, the name is Tyros5MF.mfd, but I think it's the correct file.

But I can't see it in the SX700.

When I press the playlist button on the right side, it shows 6 items (factory default I think).
But after pressing list (add record) on the display the user map shows SX700 MF NL&BE and SX700_MFW
The USB1 map is empty
The Expansion shows 12 names, but the Tyros5MD.mfd isn't shown here too.

Where do I go wrong?

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2023, 06:05:36 PM »
Hi Scannie

I think I can see what's gone wrong.....If not you'll have to delete the file from the USB and start again.

But try this.

Go to the screen where you can see the 6 preset songs that came with your SX700.

At the top of that screen it says SAMPLE

Press on the word SAMPLE

You will then have the option of choosing between PRESET or USER   Press USER followed by USB1.

You should now see the Tyros file in your list.

Press on that file, and then press Playlist.

That should give you the information you need.

Keith.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 06:11:27 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2023, 06:26:11 PM »
Divemaster,

Question: When I converted the big Tyros MFD file on my SX900 last week it appeared to save automatically to my User memory. I’m not sure I was given a choice to save the new Playlist file onto the USB drive. Is that possible? I don’t know much space the new playlist takes up in User.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2023, 06:36:11 PM »
Hi Rich.
The quick answer is that I don't know, because the file structure could be different on the SX900
I have an SX 700 and it saves direct to the USB stick. That's all I know.... Sorry.
I hardly use the User drive. It's easier, and I think safer to move stuff round on the pc with usb sticks.

I've only once ever connected my old Tyros direct to a pc and it blew the Tyros usb socket making it useless.... I ain't trying it again..I will never directly connect a pc to my lovely SX..

Keith
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2023, 07:22:56 PM »
Thank Keith. I had deleted the MFD playlist from my User, but wiil do the loading process again and will try to notice if USB shows up as a save option. Maybe I missed it.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2023, 06:25:20 PM »
I had a PA 4X for about a year.

Truth is I liked the PA 4X keybed better than any Yamaha keybed I had played including Genos.

I stayed with Genos, sold my PA 4X.

Why?

I’m a country music player.  I want the smooth sound of a lap steel.  Got that in the aloha steel of Yamaha
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline scannie

« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2023, 07:15:45 AM »
@Keith:  yes, you found out what went wrong.
Now it works, thanks a lot!!

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2023, 07:32:50 AM »
Hi Scannie

Glad you got it working.
Take time to learn about your new keyboard
and learn some basic chords.

Keith
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline scannie

« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2023, 07:38:56 AM »
So I am that beginner with no music experience, though I have long had the intention to do something with it. Once I could borrow a Tyros 2 from someone, but didn't do much with it. The motivation was too low and I did not see how to start.
When I gave it back, the intention to do something with it started again. Now I finally bought the PSR-SX700. Due to lack of time not yet been able to spend much time on it.

The motivation is high, but on the other hand you do not want to do endless finger exercises.

There are apps like flowkey to learn songs, but that is only the beginning part of a song.

I want to follow the method below:
Use a midi file with a simple melody.
Turn off the melody from this and play it yourself.
Then use a style instead of midi and learn to play the chords together with the melody.

There is also a YouTube channel with music lessons for pianos. There are of course also chords. That will also get me started.

I compare it to learning a foreign language. In the beginning it's boring, learning words. But once you'll understand and talk some, it's fun.

Indeed, I wonder if I am not too old (56 years old) to start. But I do it for my own pleasure. So don't have to perform with it.

I do wonder to what extent it is possible to play directly from sheet music at some point. So read a note and without having to search for the key find it.

Suggestions always welcome :)

Offline robinez

« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2023, 07:47:28 AM »
So I am that beginner with no music experience, though I have long had the intention to do something with it. Once I could borrow a Tyros 2 from someone, but didn't do much with it. The motivation was too low and I did not see how to start.
When I gave it back, the intention to do something with it started again. Now I finally bought the PSR-SX700. Due to lack of time not yet been able to spend much time on it.

The motivation is high, but on the other hand you do not want to do endless finger exercises.

There are apps like flowkey to learn songs, but that is only the beginning part of a song.

Then use a style instead of midi and learn to play the chords together with the melody.

There is also a YouTube channel with music lessons for pianos. There are of course also chords. That will also get me started.

I compare it to learning a foreign language. In the beginning it's boring, learning words. But once you'll understand and talk some, it's fun.

Indeed, I wonder if I am not too old (56 years old) to start. But I do it for my own pleasure. So don't have to perform with it.

I do wonder to what extent it is possible to play directly from sheet music at some point. So read a note and without having to search for the key find it.

Suggestions always welcome :)

you are definitely not to old, it just takes dedication to learn these things.

Based on your story I would suggest to take a look to the platforms online that will guide you on your first steps. I didn't like Flowkey, but there are two other platforms that I found really good.
I would suggest to take a look at https://yousician.com/piano . you can start for free over there and it will learn you how to play melodies and chords without the need to learn how to read scoresheets (you can switch yousician to scoresheet mode if you want, but that is a little bit harder).

If you want to focus more on scoresheet reading, then I can highly advice https://pianomarvel.com/ for that. I have a subscription on pianomarvel and it's very good and helps you a lot, it's more like having a private piano teacher.

Offline Lacko

« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2023, 08:29:18 AM »

I compare it to learning a foreign language.

Hi Scannie,
yes, it is like learning a foreign language. You can take a couple of lessons from language teacher to get some basic words, phrases and other knowledges and then study on your own by listening radio and reading books. Or you can go without any preparation to a country where that language is spoken. There is MIDI all around you and you can try to play your melody.
Sorry, if this is inconvenient for you, but this is just my view.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2023, 09:22:48 AM »
Hi Scannie :

I have uploaded all chords for you, if you might be interested.  ;)

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/a033fc534b2e0df6170ce0915867253d20230512074353/7874a4b7b0821ea25b743945d124ce3d20230512080314/afcd07

All chord images are there. International language. :D
My above link is 5 days valid yet.
Have fun, JH

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2023, 10:07:48 AM »
Hi Scannie
The best advice I can give you is to learn at your own pace, and in a way that suits YOU.

Ok, so it will take time, and it will also take effort.

So you're 56.?  That shouldn't be a hurdle. I'm 76 and still learning.  Ask questions, get answers.

Encourage yourself to do better every time you play.
Learn something new every week.

Just enjoy yourself. Life is too short to be worried about dotting all the i's and crossing all the t's.

Make music..... That's all that matters.

Keith
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2023, 10:32:01 AM »
hi scannie,
If you have read my previous posts, then you sure noticed that my intention was to encourage you. On the other hand, you need to be realistic with your expectations.

..Due to lack of time not yet been able to spend much time on it...
-no idea how much "much time" is, but that can be a big problem! If you really are motivated, then you find "enough" time.. and if you can't do that, then you better forget the whole thing.

..The motivation is high, but on the other hand you do not want to do endless finger exercises....
-that makes me sceptical. You say you're motivated, but at the same time you say "you do not want to". Without even starting, how can you determine how much exercises you need?

As I (and some others) mentioned before, age is not that big problem for learning to play -it's the attitude. It souds to me like you were saying "if I can't learn playing in two weeks, then it means I'm too old".

There's no shortcut to learn playing faster and so forget styles and midis -start learning playing piano only instead. Can you sing or whistle a simple melody? If answer is no, then you should find another hobby, I think. Point being, you need to find out which keys to press on keyboard to get that melody. That's learning phase, which is followed by a lot of practicing. Luckily we have Youtube nowadays, so you don't need to learn reading notes (at least not yet).
Let's take famous Lara's theme for example (main part starts at 38sec in video). Of course you aren't able to play it that way and so you need to find simplified version: this one for example. Learn it.. practice and practice.. and once you play it fluid, you can start thinking about using style. What I am saying is, style (acompanion) is meant to be used for finished song, which you need to learn first.

When I play (practice) on keyboard, 90% of the time I play piano only. Sometimes it's only for half an hour or can also be 2-3 hours.. but it's mostly piano only. Usually I play simple random melodies (like Lara's theme) that I've heard somewhere. Not only I enjoy that, but that's also the only way to make your fingers feel at home on your keyboard -which is crucial.
And if there's a melody that really "moves me", then I decide to make a style for it. If you take a look at my videos (in signature below), then you can realize that all of them are pretty basic melodies that anyone can play. That is, I don't play "masterpieces" to impress others -I play for me.

Bogdan

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2023, 12:52:29 PM »
Hey Bogdan :

Making music,  starting from scratch is not easy, I guess. ???

Many people are very enthusiastic in the early beginning.
After a while the motivation has completely disappeared. It happens to 90% of beginners.

At my present age ( 75 ), after approx. 60 years making music, I am still learning every day.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I still have to learn. ;)
Why ? The answer is quite simple for me : making music is my passion. I'm addicted to it ... :)

All of us are different ... it is what it is.

All the best, JH

« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 01:01:10 PM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2023, 02:15:46 PM »
Very true Jeff... we never end learning.

And it's really not about how good we get at playing -it's more about enjoying the hobby.
I think arranger keyboards can be quite deceiving for many, because they give an illusion of "everyone can do it"... which is far from truth. There's one thing that I already mentioned somewhere at the beginning of this thread: one just need to have "sense for music". It's something we just can't get with practicing -that sense is either there, or it's not.

Greetings,
Bogdan

The following users thanked this post: colas musique

Offline mikf

« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2023, 09:58:19 PM »
Bogdan is largely right in what he says. The reason it’s hard to play along with a style or midi is that they don’t stop for you to catch up. No matter how slow you play them, you will still not be able to play in time when learning. Playing piano lets you go at your pace, including frequent stops to find the correct note.
And how will you find that melody - if you can pick it out by ear then you don’t need a midi. If you can’t, you have to learn the basics of reading music, then pick out the melody from a simple music sheet. In short, what is the midi adding?
When you get half way able to do this, then you need to start learning how to read simple chords, what notes make up these chords, then how to find those notes on the keyboard, and how to change chords quickly.
All this adds up to endless repetition  until it becomes mostly intuitive. Scales and arpeggios are a  good way of teaching your hands where these notes are. You can call that endless repetition exercises or something else, but you will be doing it, - or you will fail to progress. In which case the new keyboard will find its way to that same cupboard as the Tyros, within a year.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: tyrosrick

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2023, 06:31:51 AM »
Hi Guys :

From now on it is up to Scannie and find out what he really wants and expects.

If I were Scannie and I should be seriously motivated, like he says, I would follow one of mikf's wise advices and look for " a good arranger teacher " asap ( see Internet : teachers on line e.g. )  ... but .. who am I ...
to tell him what he has to do
? ;)
Amen.

All the best, JH
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 07:01:43 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2023, 06:47:48 AM »
Agree with all that's been said.
Being 'comfortable' when you sit down to play, and knowing where the notes are without looking down from the music is key.
I remember the first time I played a full sized organ. My tutor compared playing the pedals to driving a car. Do you, as a car driver, ever look at the pedals? No of course not. But this was a car with 36 pedals... and I was 11 years young.... But learn it I did. Constant practice, heeling and toeing, using the swell and coupler stop buttons etc .... So yes.... Being comfortable with notes and chords is a must for modern arrangers. Learning and constant practice is essential.

But the one thing that I could do.... Play by ear.... I cannot do any more.... Because it was instilled in my head that it was not acceptable /wrong. So I know from personal experience that a bad teacher is worse than useless. It kills the enthusiasm quicker than anything else.
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline Del B

« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2023, 02:43:32 PM »
Scannie
You will find this book worth while to get started:
https://kupdf.net/download/complete-keyboard-player-1pdf_59883ab0dc0d60e845300d1a_pdf

There is a very good course on chords on our web site:
https://psrtutorial.com/music/chords.html
As well these lessons will be useful
https://psrtutorial.com/lessons/index.html
Regards
Ed B

Hi Scannie the post by Ed B is perfect, as you don't read music yet, also you could look at EZ play books that have the name of the note typed on the note, you could put a note sticker on the keys of your keyboard so you can find then easier, and correspond with the music. Unfortunately there is no quick way of learning music I been doing it for 58 years and I'm still learning until my lights go out.
IMHO playing along with midi's is not the answer at beginner stage, your timing has to be spot on and you need to keep up with it,  and don't expect to play like Klaus Wunderlich within a year unless you gifted. Mike suggested get some arranger lessons, that is good advice, and it would be better if those lessons were one to one face to face, why you may ask? the reason is to make you accountable so you will have to put the time in to impress your tutor other wise it's likely your find an excuse not to practice then your keyboard will gather dust, as you say it is like learning a foreign language, you still need to practice and put in the time to get the right words in the right order, you don't want to order jellied eel's when you want roast chicken.

Here is my version of Always on my mind, that you want to play no midi was used just an onboard style -  I read music and I probably took several takes to get it to this standard, You need to walk before you can run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRCtts2zdlo

Congratulations on getting your new keyboard and enjoy it the way you want to, we started at the same place but at different times in our lives and make the most of your musical journey
Del
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 03:01:11 PM by Del B »

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2023, 03:21:32 PM »
If you are looking to learn to play the piano quickly use this teacher.

https://www.youtube.com/user/pianoguytv

This Guy teaches you how to read music BUT better still also by EAR.

Using an arranger you only need to focus on your RIGHT hand. You can use the simple Chord method with your LEFT hand. You could later learn the full chord (but you won't need to really).

I watched this Guy for a couple of years off and on (on a PBS tv station). Purchased a simple arranger keyboard and within 45 mins was playing the thing after watching this Guy example the C scale.

If you want his "Play Piano in a Flash" book, PM for it.

Just sayin' ... His video lessons worked for me.
I was 53 at the time.

Drake

« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 03:36:17 PM by DrakeM »

Offline Dupe

« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2023, 01:46:25 PM »
I'm 76 years old, and here's my quick story. Many years ago I took organ lessons and learned to read music enough to get by. As the years passed I lost interest for a while. My old Cassio CD470 keyboard was placed in a cupboard where it stayed for years. I've always loved piano, the Cassio had a great piano tone. I guess the desire to play again still haunted me, however, I lost the use of my right hand, wrist, and fingers, for my playing days were over. With just my left hand I now had to adapt and get by as best as possible. While listening to piano performers on Utube, I came across a player with only a left hand. Oh boy, could he play! what a challenge would it be to play like him. I set myself this challenge, I was determined to play again, I knew it would take patience and hours of practice, but I was determined to work at it. I still practice for an hour or more each day, 5 years on I can play reasonably well, mainly slow tunes, but with small improvements over time. I will not give up, yes I find it difficult but I'm making progress.
No matter how difficult it may seem to learn to play and read music, you will succeed if you have the willpower and patience, to make it happen, and in time you'll become proficient. Just stick at it.

Kind Regards Dupe

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2023, 02:20:27 PM »
Hey Dupe :

WOW ! 💪
I am very impressed by your story.☝️☝️☝️

Thank you so much for sharing it here.
You made my day !🤓

Best wishes, JH
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 02:21:57 PM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline mikf

« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2023, 03:40:07 PM »
But so far not a single person as started from absolute zero. They had played another instrument, dabbled in lessons when young etc.
One of the reasons I asked the question is that I am not sure I have actually come across anyone starting very late in life, from absolute zero,  who stuck at it long enough to be successful. I think the explanation for that is that if you have a musical inclination you will have tried at some point before. Maybe gave up for whatever reason. The arranger has been your second try much later in life, and its easy play technique combined with some previous experience, and musical inclination, however little, allowed you to succeed this time round.
Maybe Scannie can be a first.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2023, 05:07:08 PM »
hi Mike,
I see your point and you're most probably right: joy for music playing doesn't come all of sudden at older age. It's inside us since our childhood.. or it's not. And if it is, then there's very big probability, that we already had contact with some instrument way back... because we just "needed to do it".
So, what are the chances for someone older, who starts at zero? Yes, probably quite slim. Not because of age, I think. The question is, is there that particular "I just need to play" force?.. or is only "I would like to play" wish.
Regardless, it's worth to try -because it's a great hobby.

Bogdan

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2023, 08:35:01 PM »
It will not be easy ( as I said before ) but ... one never knows. :)

Hopefully Scannie will keep us posted how S is progressing.
S seems to be very motivated and motivation can lead to miracles.
Time will tell ... I hope S will be successful.  :D

All the best, JH
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 08:36:38 PM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline scannie

« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2023, 09:40:08 PM »
Meanwhile, many responses to the fact that I have no music experience whatsoever.

Indeed, I also believe 90% quit. I did the same myself when I had the Tyros 2 on loan. I thought I could play quickly then.

Now I am different. Every time I hear certain music I want to play it.   
I know it's not an easy road.

The keyboard has many options and settings. But I consciously do not use them. I want to concentrate on playing music and not explore all the possibilities of the keyboard. By now I am studying the basics of music.

I also really appreciate your support.

Want to explore yousician further.
And only learn one piece of music via midi.

I am away from home for a week now but will get started after that.

I want to belong to the 10% and of course I will keep you informed.

Offline Dupe

« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2023, 10:40:34 PM »
Hi Scannie, I found this link for you, It's for "Android" not sure if it's available on Windows or IOS, I have an old Android tablet and used this piano/ trainer on it. It allows you to learn musical notes by entering the piano keys on your touchscreen as the notes appear. The idea is to hit the correct piano key each time a music note appears on your screen. The app gives you a score, for each note you hit correctly matching the music note. If that all makes sense. Anyway here is the link. https://m.apkpure.com/virtual-piano-trainer/com.odt.PianoNoteCoach.  Will help you 100% it worked for me.
BTW I also have an SX700
Keep on playing, and it will eventually all begin to happen.

Kind Regards Dupe

Offline scannie

« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2023, 02:37:43 PM »
One month later....I am still enjoying the keyboard :) and positively motivated.
After all your support and good advice contributed to that.

Things are progressing with (very) small steps. Am practicing only with playing the melody. All options that this keyboard has I do not use (yet).

I have a collection of midi and have extracted simple music from it. I am trying to learn the melody.
For some songs it's easy to find the correct keys.
But I have one midi song and can't find the melody on my keyboard.
It seems they used notes which aren't available on my keyboard :-*

I wonder if that is the right way to go. Or should I read the notes from sheet music and find the keys blind?