Author Topic: Midi song - score  (Read 1038 times)

Offline jcm2016

Midi song - score
« on: April 23, 2023, 02:02:50 AM »
I've tried the Midi files that came with the keyboard (CVP 805), and they have nice and tidy scores.

I downloaded a few Midi files from this site, and the scores are nowhere near as nice (some of the sounds were great).  I read somewhere while researching Midi in general, that the score is somehow automatically created.  That would explain why the score was not clean for the ones I downloaded.  But then why was the score very clean on the ones that came with the keyboard?  Did Yamaha somehow create a better score, and not use the auto-populate function?

There seem to be many many sources of Midi files (including this site) - is there any way to tell in advance what quality of score it will have?

Thanks in advance.

Offline EileenL

Re: Midi song - score
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 03:11:14 PM »
Midi songs purchased from Yamaha will always have good scores. You take pot luch on other's.

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 01:02:20 AM »
Hi --

It may sound nuts, but the slop in the score is what makes the music sound interesting.  :)

Some MIDI files contain quantized notes, that is, notes that were corrected to a timing grid. This makes for a good looking score, but robotic-sounding music. Of course, your mileage may vary...

I don't think there is any way to know in advance if a MIDI file will display neatly or not. Personally, I plan to buy a score from a vendor like Sheet Music Direct and not depend upon a MIDI file itself. Yep, it costs more. Sometimes, one can find a score or lead sheet on-line for free.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 08:44:24 AM »
Thank you both for the responses