Author Topic: Midi files from Yamaha website  (Read 1907 times)

Offline jcm2016

Midi files from Yamaha website
« on: April 23, 2023, 01:58:53 AM »
I tried to download some Midi songs form the Yamaha website and couldn't get it to work.  I'm in the UK, and didn't find the Midi songs on the UK site.  I did find them on the US site, put a couple in the cart, got to check-out and it got stuck in a loop of wanting my credit card info.  Anyone else experience this issue?  Thanks

Offline jcm2016

Re: Midi files from Yamaha website
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 08:45:25 AM »
It worked with PayPal.   I was quite surprised that the Yamaha site wasn't that great to use.   Given the quality of the instruments, I expected more from the site.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 09:35:52 AM »
which ones did you get

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 12:06:04 PM »
I got Uptown Girl because my wife grew up listening to Billy Joel.  Haven't actually tried it yet

Offline Kenneve

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 12:59:10 PM »
The USA site worked for me , although I had to use an alternative E-mail address for some reason.
Also had to register and log-in, (would not accept my Yamaha UK details) then I was able to order the Midi file that I wanted.
Think I used Paypal for payment, which went smoothly with no problems.

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2023, 01:59:08 PM »
So I downloaded the Midi file, unzipped, and there are multiple files - x9, xA, xt, xt2, xt3, and GM.

The Yamaha site has a page about which format to use with which instrument (https://shop.usa.yamaha.com/midi-song-instrument-compatibility-chart)

That page says that for the CVP 805, the recommended version is T4, XT4.  Neither of those are in the zip file.  The Yamaha page also says, the following will work: T3, XT3   XT2   XT   XA   XG   GM.

I tried the various files that were in the zip, and they do work.  I couldn't tell much difference between them.

Does the Yamaha recommendations go in order - meaning is Yamaha saying that T3 is the best alternative if there's no T4 or XT4?  In my case, the first match was XT3.

Thanks for the help!

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2023, 04:21:01 PM »
So I downloaded the Midi file, unzipped, and there are multiple files - x9, xA, xt, xt2, xt3, and GM.

The Yamaha site has a page about which format to use with which instrument (https://shop.usa.yamaha.com/midi-song-instrument-compatibility-chart)

That page says that for the CVP 805, the recommended version is T4, XT4.  Neither of those are in the zip file.  The Yamaha page also says, the following will work: T3, XT3   XT2   XT   XA   XG   GM.

I tried the various files that were in the zip, and they do work.  I couldn't tell much difference between them.

Does the Yamaha recommendations go in order - meaning is Yamaha saying that T3 is the best alternative if there's no T4 or XT4? In my case, the first match was XT3.

Thanks for the help!

Hi jcm2016,

Yes, in your case the Tyros3 optimized MIDI file (XT3 format) is the best choice. Each Tyros model retains all the voices of its predecessor models.

Of course you are free to edit the MIDI file according to your wishes, e.g. to revoice individual parts (channels) of the MIDI file with any voices of your CVP-805.

By the way, please note that after revoicing in the Mixer you have to go to the Song Creator. There you run the "Execute" function in "Channel > Setup" to write the changed Mixer settings to the MIDI file. (Press the Song Stop button beforehand to be sure the Song position is at the beginning.) Then you save the modified file (also in Song Creator) with Save.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 04:29:17 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2023, 09:08:21 AM »
Thanks for this.

Is another way of saying this the following - my CVP 805 contains the Tyros 3 voices within it, so a Midi file created for Tyros 3 can play on my CVP 805?  And also, that this particular Midi file is not taking advantage of improvements in voices made by Yamaha between Tyros 3 and the CVP 805 - which is where personal re-voicing comes in (with mixer and song creator)? 

Do I understand that right?

Thanks as always.