Author Topic: Jos Maas’s Chord Player with Sx900  (Read 3274 times)

Offline Nova227

Jos Maas’s Chord Player with Sx900
« on: April 16, 2023, 09:55:39 PM »

Does anyone have experience with this software withe sx series  or other PSRs ?

From what I understand from the description is you can create a chord progression on Chord Player  then play it back using the internal styles of the arranger .  This leaves you free to develop registration ideas  and work the right hand.

Any thoughts ?

Nova227

Re: Jos Maas’s Chord Player with Sx900
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 10:19:09 PM »
Hi,
I’m using it to record chord loops for my PA5x. Tried it briefly with my sx 900. There’s a demo  version, it’s functional, but you can’t save , but at least  you can try before you buy. 
Takes a bit of getting used to in typing in the chords, so you need to read the manual to make sure  you understand where to put commas for half bars and quarter bars etc.
Now it takes me a couple min or so to type in the chord progression and another minute or two  to record the progression across to my korg chord looper. For the recording of the chord loops I am able to play it across at 200bpm or maybe faster, because the final tempo is determined by the style I use for the song.
Software has saved me a heap of time, one small error in a chord loop for a long song, recording it live, and  I had to start over.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 10:53:54 PM »
Why not use the chord Looper on SX900. This can then be saved into registrations.

Offline Nova227

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 12:05:10 AM »

If I understand correctly it allows creation and easy editing of a complete song. Chord looper doesn’t allow editing.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 06:12:42 AM »
Hi Nova, basically you have to connect pc/chord player to keyboard. You type chords into chord player software.
It then plays the chords across to your keyboard , instead of you playing them. You still have to press fills , variations etc.

As Eileen mentioned, if you have chord looper in your keyboard, it would be the best way to play your songs.

Where chord player software works for me, I currently have no way of editing chord loops on my PA5x.  So I use it to play chords across to my PA5x and record chord loops.
I can use the same chord file to record chord loops on my sx900
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 08:15:02 AM »
Don't dismiss Band In A Box.
DGX670

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2023, 12:19:58 PM »
Hi Graham, didn’t have much luck with Biab. Don’t know if it’s the pa5x or because biab has gotten so sophisticated with all the audio stuff,  the function that outputs the chords, to arrangers, was a bit glitchy.
Used to work really well a few years back with my pa800 and psr 1500, it wasn’t worth the effort for the PA5x.

Unless there is another way of doing it.

Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2023, 12:59:24 PM »
rikkisbears. Yes I agree BIAB is getting over complicated.
I used BIAB 2005 untill Bill Gates Windows 10 update stopped it working as it should.
For Info there are a couple of Band in a box alternatives - software for creating backing tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmURvR2sWec
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

Offline Nova227

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2023, 05:54:57 PM »
I have been using BIAB for a couple of years. The chord input layout they use is excellent. You can very quickly create a song with a backing track. You can export song as an .xml file that will send a chord progression in a universal format, unfortunately the Yamaha keyboards don’t recognize it. 
I am able to get around this by creating the chord progression in BIAB selecting a simple biab style  and then saving it as an MP3. Now I have it as an MP3 I load it into Chord Tracker then to my PSR. Then I can use all the accompaniment power of the the PSR, creating registrations and using the foot function to select reg during the song.

Why would I want to do this ? I am a guitar player not a keyboard player. I enjoy making arrangements and backing tracks so I am looking at simple way to create them.

I agree that Chord Looper is a powerful tool but you can not edit it. You have record each section  even for a minor change which is possible for a keyboard player laborious for me.

That brings me back to my search. I am looking for something that allows me to program my progression on a chord chart and simply play it back withe style of my choice on my PSR , then make quick edits as the arrangement  develops .

Nova 227

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2023, 06:34:53 PM »
@Nova

Please read topic on how to use MixMaster to make backing tracks.
Perhaps that would be a solution for you.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,64102.0.html

The program Producer from Pieter Wierzba is also mentioned. You could check it out too.

Both MixMaster and Producer are free to download.

https://psrtutorial.com/MB/EV_Files/mixmaster.html
https://psrtutorial.com/util/wierzba.html

Regards
Etienne

If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

Offline Nova227

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2023, 09:11:03 PM »

Thanks very much for the suggestion I will check these links outs over the next couple of days

Nova 227

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2023, 10:42:52 PM »
Hi Nova, which keyboard do you actually own?
Have you ever tried the step record function in the keyboard sequencer itself. ie you put in the chord progression , the fills ,variations etc. and you can save it as a backing track.
The the sx900 you can only use the factory styles. ( for some reason I thought I also did it with user styles in my earlier psr, but that could be totally false memory).
It’s a very accurate way of creating a psr backing track.

The only reason I would use chord looper or Jos’s chord player  to create a backing track would be for a user style. Other than that I would use my sx900 sequencer step record function.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2023, 10:55:20 PM »
rikkisbears. Yes I agree BIAB is getting over complicated.
I used BIAB 2005 untill Bill Gates Windows 10 update stopped it working as it should.
For Info there are a couple of Band in a box alternatives - software for creating backing tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmURvR2sWec

Hi Graham,
actually that’s a thought. Might see if I still have an old copy of biab floating around.

I just need it to output chords correctly thru it’s” arranger chord function”. It was used initially for the Roland RA arranger modules. Ie it would send the chords to the module, and it would play the Roland styles.
Doubt many new users would know about it, just us slightly older ones😀.

They’ve kept up this function, but, whether it works as well as it used too, or possibly just another Korg bug.

I’m not actually trying to create backing tracks, just chord sequences
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline Lefty

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2023, 02:54:35 PM »
Why would I want to do this ? I am a guitar player not a keyboard player. I enjoy making arrangements and backing tracks so I am looking at simple way to create them.

Hello Nova.

I'm a long-time guitar player who's learning keyboard.  Have you looked at the IReal Pro software?   It's inexpensive backing track software that runs on most platforms.  Exports midi and mp3.  Thousands of chord charts built in.

I've used IReal Pro for years with guitar

Craig
Yamaha PSR-SX900, Studiologic Numa X 73, Lots of guitars and harmonicas

Offline Nova227

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2023, 08:07:51 PM »

Craig yes i have a couple of versions of ireal pro. its is very good system. i have it on my mac and ipad.it  can export an arrangement in the musicxml file format but i can seem to find away to get my sx900 to read it .

i was just going through the export functions and found that it can export a project in midi. i plan to do some trials to see how it is interpreted by my psr. i think the issue will be that i cant use the psr styles unless i can get the chord progression into chord looper or chord tracker.

thanks for reminding me about ireal pro

nova227

Offline Lefty

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2023, 01:51:55 PM »
Craig yes i have a couple of versions of ireal pro. its is very good system.

For someone like me that doesn't already have the skill to enter XX measures of chords without a mistake in the chord or the timing, the chord looper is of limited utility.  I really wish the Chord Looper had a step editor.

The best luck I've had so far is entering the chords into my Guitar Pro notation software, exporting an MP3, then using Yamaha's Chord Tracker on my iPad to send the chords to my keyboard.  It's more steps, and more computer work than I would prefer.  (I haven't tried this with IReal Pro yet)

Craig

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2023, 08:01:25 AM »
Hi Lefty,

Check out Fred’s answer  , I think it’s the second last one, about using mixmaster to edit the chord loops.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,66020.0.html

Have you tried using the step time function in the onboard psr sequencer, ie put in the chords in steptime rather than playing live.(  I’m guessing function is in most psr’s)

« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 08:05:13 AM by rikkisbears »
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

The following users thanked this post: Lefty

Offline Lefty

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2023, 01:17:29 PM »
Hi Lefty,

Check out Fred’s answer  , I think it’s the second last one, about using mixmaster to edit the chord loops.

Thanks for the suggestion!  I'm sure that would work, but I have a Mac, no Windows PC.

Craig

Offline Nova227

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2023, 04:02:08 PM »

Etienne thanks for the tip on a Producer

https://psrtutorial.com/util/wierzba.html

It is very good . You can create your arrangement on the pc and quickly play it back on the the PSR . You can also import Band In. A Box chord progression. 

It can also import CSV chord data files. I haven’t look at this yet function yet.

Nova 227

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2023, 02:20:39 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion!  I'm sure that would work, but I have a Mac, no Windows PC.

Craig

Hi Craig, makes it hard, so much of the stuff is written for pc😞.

Have you tried using step record in  Sx900 sequencer. Creates backing track fairly quickly once you get the hang of it. Only downside, it only works with the onboard styles.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2023, 09:13:47 AM »

It is very good . You can create your arrangement on the pc and quickly play it back on the the PSR . You can also import Band In. A Box chord progression. 

Nova 227

Thank you for your feedback !

As far as I know Producer has been made to create songs in a Yamaha keyboard only, not in a pc. Correct ?
What about Jos Maas' Chord player ? What can be done with this prog, plse ?

Plse advise. Many thanks, JH
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 10:00:01 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline Nova227

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2023, 01:07:00 PM »

I have not be able to get Jos Maas Chord Player to work. I can only get a few intro clicks. The program is very basic compared to Producer.

I have beeen able to just do the basics with Producer. I have only spent time with item no 1 .
I am not sure of all the other functions. Here is the intro for the help file of Producer.

Has anyone come across a video for this ?
Producer is a powerful tool for creating or editing Step
Record files that, when Played or Expanded on the PSR,
generates accompaniment parts.

With it you can:

1 Create a backing midi song by entering chords on a
spreadsheet screen using the mouse and an on-screen
menu; no typing, no errors. Layout markers facilitate
organizing your song, and cut, copy and paste functions
make it easy to move or duplicate musical sections (e.g.
verse, chorus). Editing tools are provided for transposing,
modifying chord complexity (e.g. jazzing up-down), and
creating pedal points.

2 Edit chords in a Quick Record midi on the PC, and then
rebuild the song, using the same or a different style, without
having to repeat your performance. It is easy to correct or
add chords, add or move fills, change variations, modify
tempo, and mute, solo or adjust the volume of style parts.

3 Make a PSR Step Record midi on the PC from any midi or
karaoke song by using chords in the song to trigger a PSR
accompaniment and using the melody tracks, if desired, for
the right hand parts. Karaoke lyrics can also be converted for
use by the PSR’s display.

4 Send your file with its chord event to a sequencer for
addition or correction of note events. The song, including the
accompaniment, can be auditioned from the sequencer

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2023, 02:32:01 PM »
IMHO Producer might be a very time consuming prog whilst it is mostly usable in the arranger only. :P

JH

Offline Lefty

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2023, 07:28:02 PM »
Have you tried using step record in  Sx900 sequencer. Creates backing track fairly quickly once you get the hang of it. Only downside, it only works with the onboard styles.

Thanks for suggesting this.  I just entered a chord sequence.  It works, but as you say it has a couple of downsides. I need to have a much better understanding of the capabilities and limitations of the keyboard before it will be as useful as it should be.

Thanks again Rikki!!

Craig

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2023, 12:19:07 AM »
Thanks for suggesting this.  I just entered a chord sequence.  It works, but as you say it has a couple of downsides. I need to have a much better understanding of the capabilities and limitations of the keyboard before it will be as useful as it should be.

Thanks again Rikki!!

Craig

Hi Craig, persevere with it, it’s worth it, especially since you don’t have access to so much of the software written for psr’s.
You make a mistake putting the chords in , you can edit, them. You just put intro’s , fills  etc into the track.
Great way of creating a backing track, if you’re not actually a keyboard player
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

The following users thanked this post: Lefty

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2023, 02:04:26 AM »
I have not be able to get Jos Maas Chord Player to work. I can only get a few intro clicks. The program is very basic compared to Producer.

Hi, it is extremely basic, it will only play chords ie you need to press your own buttons for variations etc.
Have you got midi settings correct?
And the chords have to be typed in exactly as per instructions.
If you can’t get the demo song to work, then your midi settings may be wrong.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 01:05:12 PM by rikkisbears »
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2023, 01:29:51 PM »
Thank you for your feedback !

As far as I know Producer has been made to create songs in a Yamaha keyboard only, not in a pc. Correct ?
What about Jos Maas' Chord player ? What can be done with this prog, plse ?

Plse advise. Many thanks, JH

Hi Jeff, I had a quick look at it. It is a pc program that works in conjunction with your keyboard. It might suit you.  You type in chords etc and create backing. Then you can add melody via a sequencer like xgworks. Might be worth your while checking it out.

Jos’s chord player, basically you type in the chords into the program. You have your keyboard connected to your pc. It plays the chords for you on your keyboard, leaving you free to concentrate on melody and pressing fills, variations etc.
I’ m basically using it  to record  chord loops for my PA5x. It also works for recording chord loops on the sx900, and I also got it to record a backing track on sx900.
There probably are better options  for the sx900 though , than chord player.
Non for my PA5x though, so for me it’s worthwhile  as I can use the same file for both keyboards.

Check out Producer.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022