Author Topic: Advice on updating Yamaha PSR-SX900 software from v1.05 to the latest version  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Lije Baley

Hello friends!

I have a question regarding updating the software on a Yamaha PSR-SX900. I bought this instrument new in April 2022. Even though it’s now one year old, I was able to unbox it only several days ago, on Easter Monday morning to be exact.

Going to
Menu > Menu2 > Utility > Software
reveals Version 1.05

While the procedure is relatively easy to follow, before I go through with it, I would like to ask a few questions and I hope you can answer them for me.
1.   When was software version 1.05 released? This would help me determine when my particular SX900 was made.
2.   Is the ‘PSR-SX900 Firmware Updater v1.11’ available on Yamaha website the latest software version available?
3.   I assume I am ‘skipping’ a few versions of software by updating from v1.05 to v1.11 and with that in mind, is this update recommended or should I first update to the direct update to the v1.05 (for example, v1.06) and repeat the procedure until I’ve reached the latest version? On some devices, updating the software by skipping a few versions has been known to be problematic in my experience. That said, I have no experience with updating software on musical instruments, let alone Yamaha ones.
4.   Is this update even necessary because it brings only ‘cosmetic’ changes to the interface, or even risky and potentially damaging?

Of course, feel free to post any other advice you folks might have regarding this topic.

Thanks for any and all your replies!
Many thanks,
Antun

Offline BogdanH

hi Antun,
Yamaha doesn't release every firmware version. In short, version 1.06 and others, were never released for public. Latest version (1.11) doesn't make any visible/cosmetic changes or introduce some new feature. It contains only fixes to solve some issues (which you maybe haven't even noticed).
If you use latest Yamaha Expansion Manager (YEM), then I highly recommend to update keyboard firmware to version 1.11 -otherwise you can expect troubles.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Lije Baley

Offline overover

Hi Antun,

Between SX900 firmware V1.05 and 1.11 only V1.10 was released. V1.11 mainly fixes a problem (regarding saving MIDI templates) that was present in V1.10. As far as I know, when V1.05 was released back then is not documented. Please also see the version history on the firmware download page:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/firm_psr-sx900.html

I strongly recommend updating to the current version 1.11. Please take special care that the power supply of the SX900 cannot be accidentally interrupted during the update.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 07:47:23 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Lije Baley

Offline p$manK32

Latest version (1.11) doesn't make any visible/cosmetic changes or introduce some new feature. It contains only fixes to solve some issues (which you maybe haven't even noticed)

One feature added to 1.10 is you can set the dial wheel to change tempo instead of it advancing through the presets. Does anyone know where this setting is? I can’t find it in the 1.10 manual. I currently have a shortcut button assigned to the Tempo menu where I can use the dial, however I was hoping this new feature doesn’t involve going to the Tempo menu at all to use the dial.

Rich
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 08:41:49 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

The following users thanked this post: Lije Baley

Offline p$manK32

Antun,

There is also a pdf on the downloads page to guide you step by step for the firmware update process. The process was pretty smooth, just did it yesterday.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

Offline overover

One feature supposedly added to 1.11 is you can set the dial wheel to change tempo instead of it advancing through the presets. Does anyone know where this setting is? I can’t find it in the 1.10 manual.

Hi Rich,

This feature was introduced in V1.10. There is no option to switch this new feature on or off. It's always active when you are in Home display.

Please also see the Version History:

SX900 Version History

V1.10 to V1.11
Fixed a problem in which MIDI template files could not be saved under normal operation, which only occurs with firmware version 1.10.

V1.05 to V1.10
- You can now change the tempo with dial operation directly (without pressing the [TEMPO] button) while the Home display is shown.
- The maximum value of "Pattern Length" of the Style Creator has been extended from 32 to 128 bars.
- You can now set whether or not a file is loaded immediately when it is selected with the dial when the File Selection display is active.

P.S.
On page 27 in the SX900 Owner's Manual (V1. 10) I found a reference to the fact that the tempo can be set with the data dial in the Home display. Please also see the attached screenshot.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 08:24:18 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline p$manK32

Thanks, Chris. Perhaps I wasn’t in the home display when I was spinning the dial. Will check this out later.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

Offline overover

Hi Rich,

I added a P.S. to my previous post. :)

Best regards,
Chris

Offline Lije Baley

Fellas, thank you so much for all the kind comments! They are very much appreciated indeed!

I haven’t had time to do the update but also, the weather has been rotten for ten straight days and we have had power outages. Despite having an interruptible power supply (UPS), I didn’t want to risk it.

I have a couple more questions for you guys.

First, at the very top of the updater page
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/firm_psr-sx900.html

it is stated that I should use a USB flash drive formatted on the instrument. I read the list of flash drives tested and recommended by Yamaha to see which one of those I can buy here and eventually decided on a Sandisk one, the one that barely protrudes from the USB socket. So, it should be fine on that end but should I first format it on the SX900 like it says on the website and how do I go about doing that?

Also, how long does this update take? I’m asking because there are other devices that are connected to the UPS so in case of a power outage, the available battery runtime will surely be shorter.

Thank you and best wishes,
Antun