Author Topic: A Facebook Warning - for friends you may know asking to be friends.  (Read 1516 times)

Offline ugawoga

Hi To Everyone

I have a friends request from John Traves who is on some of these clubs.

PSR Tutorial
Keyboard Player Forum
Yamaha keyboard Club      ------- I am not sure which forum John Traves is on and he is a genuine person.

I accepted his friends request and started a live conversation with him.
First of all i asked him if he is ok and how is the keyboard playing going.
Next he said, "have you not heard rhe latest news yet"
I replied," What!  a new Genos is on the way or i do hope the Russions have not pressed the red button!
He the replied to say that i could get £250,000 which people who are deaf need assistance or help with living standards.
He then said it was National Standard Trust Company Pensions ltd that will help you get the money you deserve.
I thought weird as John did not talk about keyboards and then went on to say contact this email address and mention my name.
Now i am suspicious and looked up this National ltd company and then to my surprise i found out that people are taking others idenity to scam you.
I went back to the conversation and said you are a scammer . He replied Am not .
This covinced me, so i told him what to do and ended the conversation.
I then had to unfriended him as i had three John Traves as friends and eventually did that and checked out my computer for viruses , but thankfully i am virus free.

All this has no reflection on the real John Traves and someone took his identity.
So if anyone gets a too good offer from anyone on Facebook it could even be someone you know that has identity stolen. They even used his photograph

Always be aware on the Internet

All the Best
john 8)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 09:44:20 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline ugawoga

Re: A Facebook Warning - for friends you may know asking to be friends.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 10:00:34 AM »
Hi
I do not want anyone getting caught by this sort of thing and it is always aimed at the vulnerable or the unaware.

ATB
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 10:35:30 AM »
What's even more idiotic..... is that this SCAMMER is trying to target people who are Deaf ......Highly unlikely to be keyboard players........

But these vermin are found all over the web, and that's why I have nothing to do with Facebook or other social media.

Unfortunately we live in an era where OUR business is assumed to be everybody else's business.....The right to know etc etc blah di blah!

Keep your business private, and NEVER EVER give ANY information to anyone.  Because actually It's NOT their business.

And don't think it can't happen to you. I recently had my own phone hacked whilst using a hotel wifi. They somehow blocked me from this site (Joe AND Roger made aware).
Fortunately no harm done but it was reported to the hotel manager, and he subsequently blocked the source.

Let's all keep safe!

Keith.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 03:14:27 PM by Divemaster »
Korg  PA5X
I also play a Yamaha PSR-SX700
I also own a Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 11:55:54 AM »
Hi keith

Yes,
 Deaf, pensioner  and cost of living help was mentioned.
Targeting the vulnerable is the main theme hear.

All the best
John                             I AM ALWAYS AWARE 8)

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 01:38:39 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, John. And therein lies the reason I'll have nothing to do with FaceBook. I'm a member but post virtually nothing. First, I don't understand their horribly convoluted navigation scheme. To me, it's like a Where's Waldo puzzle. Secondly, if you post anything that is the least bit biased, it's there forever and you can be branded for life. Nope. Not for me!!!!!

There's enough trouble in the world. We don't need all this social media garbage. On the other hand these forums are useful and that's where it should end ;D.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2023, 02:55:22 PM »
Quite right John.
I'm a pensioner, and at my age considered vulnerable, although I'm quite fit, and coping with what life chucks my way best as possible.

I'm certainly not deaf though......

What's that dear......sorry....what? Speak up a bit!

;D ;D
Korg  PA5X
I also play a Yamaha PSR-SX700
I also own a Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2023, 04:41:17 PM »
Quite right John.
I'm a pensioner, and at my age considered vulnerable, although I'm quite fit, and coping with what life chucks my way best as possible.

I'm certainly not deaf though......

What's that dear......sorry....what? Speak up a bit!

;D ;

AY' ;D :P and also we are a lot fitter than today's youth!!! : ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 04:43:14 PM by ugawoga »

tyrosman

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2023, 06:21:47 PM »
there are loads of Scammers on Facebook