Author Topic: Can not get Yamaha USB midi driver to show a connection to my Tyros  (Read 1528 times)

reefisher

Long story short, my new windows 10 computer could not be delivered so I ordered the windows 11 computer.  I installed the usb midi driver and plugged in the tyros via usb to host.  The computer recognizes the new hardware and Digital Workstation appears in control panel, and when opened shows the Yamaha USD midi driver along with three midi 2 entrys. The screen shows everything is working properly.  But when I try to open Yamaha USB midi driver, it says device not connected.  There must be something very simple I am missing.  Hope one of you wonderful folks can help me out.  Many tanks in advance.

Offline Amwilburn

Re: Can not get Yamaha USB midi driver to show a connection to my Tyros
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 11:09:29 PM »
Is your PC 32 bit or 64 bit? There is a win 11 driver for 64bit, but if your pc is 32bit, it's only compatible up to Windows 10 as per the driver's page.

Then again, I think windows 11 itself is only compatible with 64 bit architecture, so you should only need to download the win11 driver

https://ca.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/index.html?c=keyboards&k=tyros5

Mark

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 12:03:45 AM »
Hi reefisher,

Please be sure to use the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver V3.1.4 64-bit (not the "Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver"!).

Make sure the Tyros5 is already connected via an USB type AB cable to the PC BEFORE installing the USB-MIDI Driver. (!)

THEN install the driver.

Note: I now recommend connecting the USB cable to all the other USB sockets on the PC one after the other and running the driver installation again for each individual USB socket. This ensures that the USB-MIDI connection will later work with any USB socket on the PC.

You can open the graphical interface of the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver via the Windows Control Panel. However, this is NOT necessary for standard use.

All you have to do is select the desired MIDI IN and/or MIDI OUT port(s) in the MIDI program you are using.

The USB-MIDI Driver provides the following 3 ports:

RECEIVE
- Digital Workstation 1 = Receive Port 1 of the Tyros5 (when using the Preset MIDI template "All Parts", the SONG parts are controlled)

- Digital Workstation 2 = Receive Port 2 (when using "All Parts", the Keyboard and Style parts are controlled directly)

TRANSMIT
- Digital Workstation = Transmit Port 1 of the Tyros5

By the way, Transmit Port 2 is not available via USB-MIDI. So, if the SONG parts are to be transmitted via USB-MIDI, they would have to be routed to Transmit Port 1 in a User MIDI template.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 12:13:14 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

reefisher

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 05:41:10 PM »
Is your PC 32 bit or 64 bit? There is a win 11 driver for 64bit, but if your pc is 32bit, it's only compatible up to Windows 10 as per the driver's page.

Then again, I think windows 11 itself is only compatible with 64 bit architecture, so you should only need to download the win11 driver

https://ca.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/index.html?c=keyboards&k=tyros5

Mark

I used the 64 bit latest version which includes Win 11.

reefisher

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 05:46:22 PM »
Hi reefisher,

Please be sure to use the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver V3.1.4 64-bit (not the "Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver"!).

Make sure the Tyros5 is already connected via an USB type AB cable to the PC BEFORE installing the USB-MIDI Driver. (!)

THEN install the driver.

Note: I now recommend connecting the USB cable to all the other USB sockets on the PC one after the other and running the driver installation again for each individual USB socket. This ensures that the USB-MIDI connection will later work with any USB socket on the PC.

You can open the graphical interface of the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver via the Windows Control Panel. However, this is NOT necessary for standard use.

All you have to do is select the desired MIDI IN and/or MIDI OUT port(s) in the MIDI program you are using.

The USB-MIDI Driver provides the following 3 ports:

RECEIVE
- Digital Workstation 1 = Receive Port 1 of the Tyros5 (when using the Preset MIDI template "All Parts", the SONG parts are controlled)

- Digital Workstation 2 = Receive Port 2 (when using "All Parts", the Keyboard and Style parts are controlled directly)

TRANSMIT
- Digital Workstation = Transmit Port 1 of the Tyros5

By the way, Transmit Port 2 is not available via USB-MIDI. So, if the SONG parts are to be transmitted via USB-MIDI, they would have to be routed to Transmit Port 1 in a User MIDI template.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

When I go to the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver either in Control Panel or Explorer,  when it opens it just says "not connected"  So the graphical interface does not show up to change the ports. 

reefisher

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 05:50:25 PM »
Do you think resetting the Tyros 5 would be of any help?   What sections would be best to reset if helpful?  Is there any setting on the midi section of Function that would help?  I bought this Tyros as a showroom used and it already had some unknown settings. 

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 08:16:13 PM »
Hi reefisher,

If you have not yet made any important system settings of your own, you can carry out a system reset by holding down the highest white key (C6 on the Tyro5-61, G6 on the Tyros5-76) on the keyboard while switching on. (Do not release the button until the Main Display is shown.)

A System Reset will probably NOT do anything about your USB MIDI Driver problem, it just resets all User System settings to the factory values.

Make sure that in "Function > MIDI" one of the Preset MIDI Templates "All Parts" or "KBD & STYLE" is activated.

Important: If you select a different template there, you must CLOSE the MIDI display by pressing the EXIT button so that the current template is automatically loaded again when you restart.

You mentioned Windows Explorer above. There are no settings that affect the USB-MIDI driver.

The USB Storage Mode (with which the internal T5 hard disk can be displayed in Windows Explorer) also works without an installed USB-MIDI driver. To boot the T5 into USB Storage Mode, press and hold the MUSIC FINDER button while powering on.

As said, you normally do NOT need to call up the graphical user interface (GUI) of the USB-MIDI Driver. The ports are not selected in the driver's GUI, but, as also mentioned, in the MIDI settings of the program used on the computer. In any case, the driver installation can only be completed successfully if the T5 was connected to the PC via a USB cable BEFORE the installation began, and the T5 was properly recognized by the installation program during installation. With which MIDI program would you like to use the T5 via USB-MIDI connection?

If you continue to have problems, please open Windows Device Manager and see which entry appears when the T5 USB cable is plugged into the PC and disappears when the cable is unplugged. Then (with the USB cable connected) right-click on this entry and select "Uninstall". Then run the driver installer again.

I wish you success!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 08:22:04 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)