Author Topic: Importing Styles into E373  (Read 3096 times)

Offline p$manK32

Importing Styles into E373
« on: December 29, 2022, 09:43:21 PM »
What is the best practice for loading in and trying the huge number of free styles offered here on this site?

Will files over a certain KB limit not load into the E373?

How many slots are available for external styles?

I am assuming each style has to be loaded in one at a time to be tested out? Seems tedious, but I know this is not an SX arranger that can import large style libraries at once.

SX900, MODX7+

Offline p$manK32

Re: Importing Styles into E373
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 08:51:11 AM »
I'll answer my own question since I can't delete this post. I cannot load any styles into the E373 because it has no USB device port, meaning I must connect the keyboard to a Windows computer (I have a Mac) and transfer styles using MusicSoft software (Windows only). Some of us use Macs...this is not the 1980's.....the E373 is just a toy then in my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 08:52:30 AM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 11:41:40 AM »
...I cannot load any styles into the E373 because it has no USB device port, meaning I must connect the keyboard to a Windows computer (I have a Mac) and transfer styles using MusicSoft software (Windows only)...
I've just checked E373 manual and there isn't specifically said Windows PC is needed. The way I read the manual, the process should be something like:
Connect keyboard to PC via USB cable and set "Storage Mode" (on keyboard) to ON. At doing this, PC will recognize keyboard as storage device and now you can simply transfer style file to keyboard. After disconnecting USB cable, you need to register just loaded style (to be able to use it).
-looks quite straightforward to me (unless I interpret manual wrong).
...the E373 is just a toy then in my opinion.
I see it as a "learning" keyboard... or in case one is interested but not really sure if it's worth to spend more money on it. In that sense, one can't really expect a lot of flexibility (at the price).

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline SciNote

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 12:24:13 PM »
Yeah, in my opinion, unless you really just don't have the extra money or unless the keyboard is just for a beginner to learn on, it's much more worthwhile to go with the PSE-E400 series keyboard (the newest being the PSR-E473) over the E300 series keyboards.  It's not a ton of money more when compared to going with something like a Genos, or even a PSR-SX600.  This is not to say that the E373 is without merit, as I have played one and was impressed with its sound.  But you get much, much more with the E473, in my opinion.

A few examples would be: the USB-to-device input port, more registrations which are arranged in banks for one-button access to four registrations per bank, the ability to load more external styles at once, the ability to modify the tones like a synthesizer with filter and envelope generator effects and save those modifications to a registration, as well as more available DSP options and the sampling feature.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 11:43:05 PM »
Bob,
Thanks for the summary of the higher E model. I sold my SX900 to be able to afford a MODX synth, and got the E373 just to have a cheap arranger around. However I do miss the SX compared to this E373, that’s sort of why I called the E373 a toy. I don't mean disrespect to other owners, but having owned the SX it's a big step down. But you are correct, it is a learning instrument and the styles it plays are quite nice, though the lead instruments are a bit weak in volume for my taste, even when main voice is turned up.

Bogdan, Bob,
Regarding transferring styles via computer, for mac users it appears at least the E373 model would not work, as the “Computer Operations” manual available for the 373, which is a separate PDF file, specifically says the software is only for Windows. Also it limits style size to like 60kb, which is way smaller than most of the files I wanted to add in. It sounds like the 473 can load styles easier as it does have the USB device port, but if it too has a style file size limit, then that would be a drawback for that model. These are some of the many limitations of keyboards at this low price range,

Rich
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 05:40:34 AM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 10:40:11 AM »
...and got the E373 just to have a cheap arranger around...
E-series keyboards are not arrangers. I don't know if there's "official" classification, but in my eyes, fundamental characteristic of an arranger is possibility to create styles on keyboard (among other things).
-that's meant for those who are considering buying E-series keyboard.

...These are some of the many limitations of keyboards at this low price range.
These limitations are most noticeable to us, who own(ed) "better" keyboards -which is to be expected, I think. For those who are entering into hobby, such keyboards can still make quite a fun, though. About limited style sizes... I think, being able to import styles is more a selling attribute (in sense: "you can do that too!") and not something one would actually use regularly.

I know, it's easy to be smart after the fact, but too bad you didn't decided for SX600. From what you wrote, it would meet your needs perfectly, I think. Your E373 wasn't that expensive and is still new, so you can still sell it without big loss -just thinking aloud here  :)

Bogdan

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 10:24:09 PM »

I know, it's easy to be smart after the fact, but too bad you didn't decided for SX600. From what you wrote, it would meet your needs perfectly, I think. Your E373 wasn't that expensive and is still new, so you can still sell it without big loss -just thinking aloud here  :)

Bogdan

Not sure what the true definition of an arranger is. I think the E series is a consumer level arranger vs. the SX professional level arranger.

Yamaha has done a good job of providing various prices points for the different levels of skill and budget. SX600 I agree is a possibility but it is too close in price (in my opinion) to the SX700 to consider buying it, it has no touchscreen and the choir sounds, which are kind of important for me, are awful compared to the 700. Going up in price, I am not sure about the 700 either because I am afraid it won’t sound as good as the 900 :)  One reviewer mentioned the 700 has inferior effects circuitry compared to the 900, which affects sound realism. I don’t know if that’s noticeable between the 700 and 900 when just playing at home through internal speakers or not. As usual, sacrafices in quality have to be made with the cheaper models whether it's beginner level or professional level.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 06:31:35 AM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 10:48:01 AM »
Not sure what the true definition of an arranger is. I think the E series is a consumer level arranger vs. the SX professional level arranger.
On Yamaha web pages, E-series is classified as "portable" keyboards, and Genos, PSR-SX & PSR-A5000 as "workstation" keyboards. Of course, at higher prices we expect better quality, but the main difference here, is in functionality.

Price wise, SX600 isn't really close to SX700: SX700 is about 50-60%more expensive. When you decided for E-373, you accepted the fact that it doesn't have touch screen (and also lack some other features). And that was the reason why I mentioned SX600: comfortable styles manipulation -which was your main complain about E-373.
So far you didn't complain about E-373 sound quality.. and now you're worried that SX700 might not sound as good as SX900? Yeah, the more we pay, the better we get. But there's a thing called diminishing return and we really need to set a limit at some (price) point -and be happy with our decision.

I had PSR-S670 (SX600 predecessor) and all I can say is, it was an excellent keyboard price wise. Yes, it had small display, small amount of memory, etc., but it had good on-board sound and full arranger functionality -and that was all I wanted at that time.

I'm, not trying to convince you into anything.. I'm only sharing my experience and opinion  :)
Bogdan

madirv

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2023, 11:13:33 AM »
But there's a thing called diminishing return and we really need to set a limit at some (price) point -and be happy with our decision.

Hi Bogdan -------Agree with this comment!!!
I remember "The Law of Diminishing Returns" from my school days in the Economics lesson.  I think you can apply this to anything.
Cheers
Irene

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 06:50:01 PM »
Bogdan,
I think your logic about the SX600 makes a lot of sense including price. Here’s the thing though, since this is just a keyboard that will be fun to have along with my MODX synth, $1,000 is still quite high for the SX600. Seeing firsthand what the E373 is, I am thinking about going back to the Korg EK-50 (I had this before I replaced it with the SX900). I know this is a PSR forum but the EK50 really is on a higher level than the E373. It sounds sharp and clear, sounds are rich (except piano is a bit thin) and the styles, though you cannot edit them, are quite good, as you can disable the bass, rhythm, percussion & accents all separately, it has several memory banks, and I believe you can load 90 or so more styles into it by USB stick. It lists now for U.S. $579 (price has gone up) which is kind of in between the E473 and SX600.

Rich
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 10:40:24 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2023, 08:27:48 PM »
hi Rich,
Just made a quick check on web stores and it seems SX600 is mostly out of stock.. which inflates prices to ridiculous $1000+. Here in Europe prices are still about 750€ and also out of stock (1US$~1€ and VAT in US is lower than in EU). Even I think SX600 is a "nice" keyboard, I would never pay 1000€ for it -it's simply not worth that much. For 1200€ one can get SX700 here (which IS on stock right now).

Wish you "smart" decision  :)
Bogdan

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2023, 03:52:36 AM »
What is the best practice for loading in and trying the huge number of free styles offered here on this site?

Will files over a certain KB limit not load into the E373?

How many slots are available for external styles?

I am assuming each style has to be loaded in one at a time to be tested out? Seems tedious, but I know this is not an SX arranger that can import large style libraries at once.
First there are 10 slots for user styles. and to do the load procedure (after you transferd the ones you want)  first press Function and go to funtion 57 StyleReg the after a coupe seconds a loadable style will appear use the + and - buttons to navigate between which one yo want to load. Once tou find the one. Press 0 then A message Load To? will aprear use the + and - buttons to choose what style number 206-215 you want to load to once you decide press 0 again then press + then it will Load (Loading). once it;s done then have fun.

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2023, 03:12:01 AM »
Keyboard Master,

Thanks for providing the info. But I sort of answered my own question earlier in this thread (copied below). I don't believe there is a way to load styles into the E373, unless I can connect it to a Windows computer. I have Mac. So if you own an E373 and only use Mac, then technically you cannot load any styles into it. Not a big deal for a $200 keyboard.

"I cannot load any styles into the E373 because it has no USB device port, meaning I must connect the keyboard to a Windows computer (I have a Mac) and transfer styles using MusicSoft software (Windows only). Some of us use Macs...

Rich
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 03:20:14 AM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2023, 06:48:10 AM »
I shared this recently, but it may help.
There are, quite literally tens of thousands of older Windows PC's in the 2nd hand market, and they are crazy cheap. The older desktops are easily managed too if any parts need replacing.
You don't need an all singing, all dancing 2023 model, any old Windows pc will transfer files.
The reason:
Microsoft, although they won't ever admit it, have completely screwed up, by trying, unsuccessfully to force their Windows 11 software onto Windows users. Sadly though, computers more than about 2 years old simply don't have the necessary hardware to run it. But more to the point, many larger companies are simply rejecting the notion of replacing many thousands of pc's which are working perfectly happily on Windows 7/8.1 and 10. At a time of worldwide problems, that sort of  unnecessary expenditure is off the balance sheet.
But many have simply dumped Microsoft. So there are plenty of perfectly serviceable Windows pc's out there.

Check out your local 2nd hand markets. It's worth picking up a Windows pc for using with your keyboard. Check out your friends, they may have an old Windows laptop or desktop kicking around. Here in the UK, they go for around £20 on Gumtree. No need to pay more.
And yes, I agree with everything that's been said about the E series...... They have very limited appeal.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 06:55:54 AM by Divemaster »
Korg  PA5X
I also play a Yamaha PSR-SX700
I also own a Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline overover

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2023, 09:28:14 AM »
@p$manK32
Hi Rich,

With newer PSR-E models like the E373, you don't have to use the Yamaha MusicSoft Downloader program. They are "USB Class Compliant" now, so you can also use a Mac computer.

On the E373, when Storage Mode (Function 056) is set to on, you can use the USB connection for File transfer (Song, Style, Backup). The keyboard's internal memory should then show up in Mac Finder (or Windows Explorer) as a new removeable drive.

Please also see the E373 Owner's Manual, page 50, for more information.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 11:04:51 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2023, 10:43:19 AM »
I think that Rich has simply seen that there is no simple USB port on the E373, and that presumably youd have to use the USb A to B Host port to transfer anything.

Back in the day, this was also the ONLY way of transferring files back and forwards between my old Tyros 1 and a pc.
OK it had, a Floppy Drive, but it was often quite a long process to transfer much at all.

I got round it by installing a laptop sized Hard Drive. Simple process turn the Tyros over, undo the 8 screws, remove the hard drive holding cage,and then I could transfer away to my hearts content every 3 months or so just by connecting a simple external ide to USB cable to the USB on my PC,

You'll of course, wonder why I didn't use the USB to HOST socket.....Well I couldn't because at some point it got fried during the file transfer operation, and despite attempting to get somebody to replace the circuitry, the best price I could get for a repair was £350. Then Covid came along, and the guy who used to do those repairs just dropped out of circulation completely, so I sold it as it was

It's also the reason why I will never, ever, ever again, connect any keyboard directly to a computer.. I don't like or trust those USB Printer socket shaped Host connectors....too much to go wrong, as I found out.

A USB Memory stick is pretty bombproof.

That's why I suggested the method above.  But I am really and totally amazed that a keyboard this new would not have a dedicated USB port.....Come on Yamaha... Stone Age stuff.. ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 03:47:34 PM by Divemaster »
Korg  PA5X
I also play a Yamaha PSR-SX700
I also own a Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline Keyboard440

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2023, 11:24:54 PM »
I just bought psr e373 to use until I can get my psr s710 repaired. I have downloaded styles but sound is not good. I think there are only certain types of styles that can be used. Sure miss 710