Author Topic: Switch between XG - GS - GM  (Read 1142 times)

Offline JAKIV

Switch between XG - GS - GM
« on: April 14, 2023, 05:52:26 PM »
Hi
I am a bit confused about using XG GS and GM.
I know that these are different MIDI standards and XG was specially developed by Yamaha.
I have seen the below SysEx codes in several places on the web, but do not understand the reason for using them.
But is it something you can turn off and on yourself.
If it is, where do you do it on the Keyboard and why would you do it?
System Exclusive message examples:
• GM System On = F0 7E 7F 09 01 F7
• XG System On = F0 43 10 4C 00 00 7E 00 F7
• XG Works On = F0 43 76 1A 10 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 F7
• Yamaha = F0 43 73 39 F1 00 46 00 F7
• XG Reset = F0 43 10 4C 00 00 7F 00 F7

/ JAKIV

Offline pjd

Re: Switch between XG - GS - GM
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 06:26:19 PM »

Way back when, different manufacturers invented their own proprietary sound/effect architectures. General MIDI was defined by an industry-wide committee. XG was defined by Yamaha. GS was defined by Roland.

Each manufacturer defined MIDI messages that were (mostly) specific to their sound architecture. At the time, GM, XG and GS mainly pertained to Standard MIDI Files (SMF), in other words, song files.

So, someone might have an XG song created for Yamaha keyboards. Or maybe a GS song created for Roland.

The MIDI System Exclusive messages in your post usually appear at the beginning of a MIDI song file (SMF). They tell the keyboard what standard to use during playback (GM, XG or GS).

Enough info? It's easy to get too technical with this subject.  :)

Best -- pj

The following users thanked this post: JAKIV

Offline JAKIV

Re: Switch between XG - GS - GM
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 11:23:27 PM »
Thank you. 
So it is in no way something you manually turn on and off unless MIDI files are being played.  And here it typically happens completely by itself if it is embedded in the start of the MIDI file itself.  Then I understand.  Thanks for the help.
/ JAKIV