Author Topic: File Amalgamation Tyros/SX  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Divemaster

File Amalgamation Tyros/SX
« on: April 13, 2023, 08:25:44 AM »
Good day everyone.
When I had my Tyros, I always found the Music finder database useful to find songs that I play.
Having now converted all 5 tyros databases to be able to be used as Playlists on my SX700, I know that I must have a fair number of duplicate songs and registrations. I keep all of them on a single memory stick in separate folders as Tyros 1/2/3/4 and 5.
Why have all 5, you're probably asking? Well there are songs on quite a lot of the mfd's that aren't on later or earlier versions. Over the 15 or so years of Tyros production, songs came and went, and often by going back or forwards, I can find the ones I want

So my questjon is this. Bearing in mind my folder limits of around 2000 styles, is there any way to amalgamate these files to remove all the duplicates, or am I better off just leaving well alone?

I realised what was happening when I found around 12 registrations for one song, all the same, which is clearly not ideal.

Any pointers useful, and thank you in advance.

Keith
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 10:23:27 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline Fred Smith

Re: File Amalgamation Tyros/SX
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 12:24:53 PM »
Playlists are simple TSV files.

If it was me, I would load all the playlists into Google Sheets, sort them, then remove the duplicates.

To take it a step further, I’d set up columns for each genre, identify which song I want in the genre, then write a script to output a genre playlist.

If you have any spreadsheet experience, you can easily manipulate playlists.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Divemaster

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 12:29:41 PM »
Thank you Fred.
I'll have a word with my Daughter.. She is the spreadsheet expert in our family. Your suggestions make sense, so I will run this past her, and bribe her with chocolate.

Keith
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2023, 02:19:49 PM »
Thank you Fred.
I'll have a word with my Daughter.. She is the spreadsheet expert in our family. Your suggestions make sense, so I will run this past her, and bribe her with chocolate.

Should work like a charm. No one can resist chocolate that I know of.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster

Offline Bill

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 02:49:53 PM »
Hi Keith

When I initially read your post, I thought the same as fred has described. However after reading your initial post a second time I have changed my mind on the best way forward.  My way is listed below.  Yo can do everything on the Keyboard if you wish, but I thing the easiest way is to do most of the work on a PC.

Put the keyboard USB Stick in your computer.
Make a New directory on the USB Stick - call it “Master MFD” or what ever you want.
Open up the Tyros 1 MFD Folder and select ALL the registrations within it.
Navigate to the new folder Master MFD and paste all the Registrations into it.  Make sure you COPY NOT Drag and Drop.

Repeat the above copy and paste functions for the other T2-T5 Folders. When the PC detects a duplication select Over Write All.  You should then have all the registrations from all of the MFD’s into one folder.
Check the Master Folder and remove any TSV Files that may have copied across.

Now create another new Folder and name it “Old MFD”. Again any name that you prefer.
Then Drag and Drop each of the old Folders (T1-5 MFD’s) INTO the 2nd new folder.  This will keep all your original files intact but out of the way until you proof the new Playlist works.

Now put the USB Stick back into the Keyboard.
Now you have to decide if you are going to leave the Registrations in the USB or have them in the USER Area.
After you have decided when they are going to be put (copy to User area if you decide not to use the USB)

Now open up the Playlist Feature and create a New Playlist (with nothing in it) and save it to USB or USER.
Now with the Playlist screen showing an empty new playlist, select “List” under the Add Record Title.
Navigate to the newMaster MFD Folder and then “Select All”. And import into the new Playlist.
Finally resave the Playlist.

Check the entries that you have in the new playlist and if all is well, delete the old Playlists.

Keep the old MFDs folder for a while untill you are really happy then Delete those folder also

It might seem like a lot of work but it is very simple.  Doing it this way you clean up your playlist AND get rid of all the Duplicate Registration.

Regards
Bill
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 02:52:05 PM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2023, 08:23:11 PM »
Bill
Thank you for this.
I'm grateful to both you and Fred, and I'm going to give this a go.
I'm completely happy working with Windows pc's, Yamaha files and file management. On the other hand I know almost nothing about spreadsheets, and in retrospect I know my daughter has an awful lot on her plate at the moment.

Leave this with me, and I'll report back.

Thank you both. I'm grateful for your help.
Keith
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x