Author Topic: fingering  (Read 1636 times)

Offline john1509

fingering
« on: April 08, 2023, 10:26:08 PM »
hi everyone just wondering is there a book on fingering when playing. I am relativity new to playing but  i seem to be  having trouble sometimes with my right hand being in the wrong place. just wondering if there is a book that shows me ie what finger or my hand should be to play the  scale  if that makes sense. thanks 

Offline SciNote

Re: fingering
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 11:29:05 PM »
I would think that any general beginner's piano or organ lesson book should have the scales and suggested fingering.  Perhaps the more elementary books may deal with simpler scales (key of C, and keys with few sharps or flats in the key signature), while intermediate books may deal with the more complex scales.

In reality, while it is good to learn the scales -- as this helps you learn what sharps or flats there are in various key signatures -- the fingering of the scales may not always be exactly what you need in a given circumstance, depending on how the melody of the song progresses and what kind of intervals there may be between particular melody notes.  You just have to play and practice the song, and if you find yourself getting "finger tied" at certain parts, take a closer look at why.  For example, are you playing a note with your pinky finger and find you then have to go up to an even higher note for the next note of the melody?  Then adjust your fingering for the notes leading up to that point, so that you know you'll be able to smoothly jump to the next higher note.

But yes, it is good to practice scales, along with just playing songs in general, to help increase your dexterity.  That is the bottom line -- practice, and it eventually comes naturally.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 11:30:15 PM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Online Divemaster

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 12:39:44 PM »
Good advice there from SciNote.
Some of the easily available Alfred's, Hal Leonard and Kenneth Baker piano and organ books all have useful fingerings and playing tips. Check out your 2nd hand bookshops online.

But Practice is the key. Get into a regular routine of learning say, a chord a week, or a scale. I start every playing session by running through several chords and scales. It comes with practice, and loosens up my hands ready to play.
I have 4 broken fingers that 'set' at funny angles, {my daughter dropped a Land Rover engine onto my hand} but I've developed my own fingerings to suit.

Everything takes time and practice, but the main thing is to play. Everything else will fall into place.... You'll see. Have fun!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 03:35:09 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline Lefty

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 01:39:41 PM »
hi everyone just wondering is there a book on fingering when playing. I am relativity new to playing but  i seem to be  having trouble sometimes with my right hand being in the wrong place. just wondering if there is a book that shows me ie what finger or my hand should be to play the  scale  if that makes sense. thanks

Hi John,

I have used a book from Alfreds: Daily Warm-Ups, Bk 3: Major Scales & Arpeggios (One Octave)
by Gayle Kowalchyk and E. L. Lancaster,  It was only about $6, so not a huge investment.

The book is only about 12 pages.  It covers the major scale in 12 keys.  Each key/page shows you the scale with fingering for each hand, cross-over/cross-under notes,  one-octave arpeggio with fingering for both hands, and cadences with fingering for both hands.

The scales and arpeggios are shown on a piano keyboard diagram, then the exercises are shown on a grand staff.  (both treble and bass clef)  Fingering is shown for each exercise.

All this can be found on the Internet for free, but I like the convenience of the reference book.

Craig
Yamaha PSR-SX900, Studiologic Numa X 73, Lots of guitars and harmonicas

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2023, 03:38:39 PM »
FYI... There are 2 books... one for Major scales and one for Minor scales. You can buy them on Amazon.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline andyg

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2023, 04:20:06 PM »
Some of the easily available Alfred's, Hal Leonard and Kenneth Baker piano and organ books all have useful fingerings and playing tips. Check out your 2nd hand bookshops online.

As a teacher, I usually spend some time each week altering the fingering in books! Kenneth Baker's fingering is well known amongst teachers for being idiosyncratic and sometimes just daft! Some of the fingering in the revised versions of the books are even worse.

There is always good fingering and bad fingering, but often no 'absolutely correct' fingering. If it works well, is comfortable and gets the desired result, it's usually OK.

As a rule, you shouldn't be crossing fingers over or putting thumbs under if you don't need to. If you've run out of fingers, it's usually a sign that you could have done something a few notes earlier. Running out of RH fingers going up, and then crossing, say, 3rd finger over 5th, is definitely to be avoided, even if it's written in the book. There will always be a better way!

Scales practice is always useful, but if you wish, you can limit it to the keys in which you actually play, plus their attendant keys.

I teach what I call 'logical fingering' - but in 1 to 1 lessons only, live or on line, where I can demonstrate what needs to be done.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline john1509

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 01:57:05 PM »
thank you to everyone on you comment's on this thread. some really good advice again much appreciated   

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster