Author Topic: PSR S650 equivalent today  (Read 1255 times)

Offline JanT

PSR S650 equivalent today
« on: April 06, 2023, 10:30:01 PM »
Hi there,
For the past few years I have used the Yamaha PSR S650 to entertain in rest homes.
 It suits my needs re styles suitable for songs of the older era however I do feel it’s on its last legs. The screen is a bit temperamental and I don’t trust it fully.
I’m thinking of upgrading but have no idea what the new models have to offer. Unfortunately I don’t have any music shops nearby to try them out.
Can anybody enlighten me as to any models to consider please?
Possibly the SX600/700?
Any help would be greatly received .
Many thanks
JT

Re: PSR S650 equivalent today
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 01:48:51 AM »
Hi There JanT. You can get eaither one you want. The sx600 still would be a big upgrade as it has improved sond quality and more Voices and styles. The funtionality is better too. ANd if you get the sx700 you will get a touch screen even more voices and styles. a joystick insted of the Pitch Bend and mod Wheels. ALso you will have 3 right voice layers. etc,

The following users thanked this post: JanT

Offline JanT

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 11:19:21 AM »
Many thanks for the reply Keyboard Master.
Would you happen to know if all the styles/rhythms are different from the 650 or just ‘tweaked’ to upgrade?
I’m guessing I’m going to have to go and search one out 🙂

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 11:30:25 AM »
Hi JT

My advice, in the absence of being near a music store, would be to check out as many YouTube presentations as you can
Also, download and take a look at the Yamaha PSR-SX 600  700  and 900 User Manuals and Reference Manuals.
That will at least give you a pretty good idea of what each keyboard will, or will not do, to suit your own needs.
If possible see if somebody near to you possibly owns one of the above, and would let you play it?

I spent a great deal of time doing this before settling on the PSR-SX700 which I am extremely pleased with.

Keith.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 11:32:00 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 06:26:46 PM »
Hi there,
For the past few years I have used the Yamaha PSR S650 to entertain in rest homes.
It suits my needs re styles suitable for songs of the older era however I do feel it’s on its last legs. The screen is a bit temperamental and I don’t trust it fully.

Hi JT --

That sounds like a rational reason to get a new keyboard!  8)

If you're like most folks, you have a budget -- how much you're willing to spend on a new instrument.

The SX600 is a significant improvement over the psr-S650. It has many more MegaVoice sounds which, typically, Yamaha incorporate into styles. The SX600 starts to resemble the higher-priced mid-range S-series arrangers which you probably considered the first time around.

I don't see how you can go wrong.

All the best -- pj