Yamaha new products at NAMM 2023... unfortunately no new Montage or new Genos 😢

Started by keynote, April 06, 2023, 11:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madirv

Why is everybody so obsessed with getting the latest Genos?   I have never understood the long winded discussions about the latest keyboards.  Admittedly  I am turning into a "Grumpy Old Woman" but everything i ever read when I was choosing my keyboard gave Genos as the be all and end all of all keyboards. it seems to win everything hands down---so why don't people just play them and enjoy what they did actually choose to buy instead of obsessing over when the next one will come out.   How much better can it be than the one you have already got??????

I'll probably be banned from the site now !!! >:( >:(
Irene

BogdanH

hi Mark,
Quote from: Amwilburn on April 17, 2023, 03:54:14 PM
I can also tell you that 6000 euros is susprising...
I can't prove that, but I remember that price (actually it was slightly above 6000€) from german Yamaha web site, where official prices are always listed -I think it was in 2019 or so.

hi Irene,
I quite agree with you. But being at Yamaha owners forum, such discussions are to be expected... we need to talk about our "babies" and their future  :)
Speaking for me, after owning SX700 for more than two years, I still learn new things about it (not everything is in manual), which is very rewarding. Of course there are things I wish they existed on my keyboard, but surprisingly, they don't exist on any other arranger either (i.e. fill-in at scale pitch change -if that's the correct term).

So, how much better can (or should) new keyboard be than the one I have? I think this is something each of us must answer for himself. What I wish, is having much better voices. I'm probably alone in this, but I don't need 500 "cheap" voices.. give me 100 high quality voices instead -we can adjust them to our liking later, right?

ok, ok.. I go playing now and enjoy what I have  ;D
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

ton37

Quote from: madirv on April 18, 2023, 02:18:53 AM
Why is everybody so obsessed with getting the latest Genos?   I have never understood the long winded discussions about the latest keyboards.  Admittedly  I am turning into a "Grumpy Old Woman" but everything i ever read when I was choosing my keyboard gave Genos as the be all and end all of all keyboards. it seems to win everything hands down---so why don't people just play them and enjoy what they did actually choose to buy instead of obsessing over when the next one will come out.   How much better can it be than the one you have already got??????

Irene
Hi Irene, relatively speaking, it's really not so many. Those who respond are ultimately only a handful and I don't think they/we/I are obsessed (I hope ;-)) It's more, healthy curiosity about technological development in the keyboard spectrum; like a new car, a new phone, tv. or whatever ..You poned it yourself:" How much better can it be than the one you have already got??????" That's indeed the question... Remember: there was a Tyros 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. Same situtiation! Something new is always fun to focus on and share one thoughts if it's your hobby. That curiosity does not mean that you are also dissatisfied with your current keyboard! And.. just skip reading if it 'annoys' you, right?
My best regards,
Ton

EileenL

Hello Irene,
  Certainly the Genos is the best keyboard Yamaha has produced so far with many nice additions and great sound compared to the Tyros range but as always it is each to there own.
  I am very pleased with mine and the little SX900 I have but am content to sit back and enjoy what I have until a new one appears. It is then that I will make a decision on whether to move on. One thing is it will defiantly be Yamaha. There keyboards have never let me down and they are such a friendly bunch here in the UK if you do have problems.
Eileen
font]

JohnS (Ugawoga)

Hi Eileen

Even looking at demos from Ketron and Pax5 The Genos is still the best.
Piano's,Korg do a little bit better with and that is that.
I do think that this year we will see a new Genos as Pete Bartmans is scheduled for something happening around November i believe

All the best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Jeff Hollande

IMHO, due to the competition, it might be acceptable to understand why many of us are wondering how the Genos' successor will look like and when the market can expect it.

On the other hand I agree with Irene it will not be easy for Yamaha to improve the Genos drastically.

I expect the new Yamaha high end arranger might be rather an update than an upgrade ... but  ... only time will tell what the new baby will bring us.
We simply do not know the answer yet. Hopefully in September
' 23.

Last but not least,  if a customer is very happy with her/his present arranger, I think he/she is not in a hurry to go for the newest arranger. ;)

All the best, JH

mikf

Why is everybody so obsessed with getting the latest Genos?   I have never understood the long winded discussions about the latest keyboards. 
Irene
Well Irene, we can't spend every minute of every day playing , so we fill it with other things. One is chatting to like minded people about things that interest us - like the next arranger. That's what keeps forums like this going! ;D
As for being obsessed with upgrading to the next arranger, that is not what most do, no matter what is said here. History shows that not many people upgrade by only one arranger model. A few maybe, but most buyers will be upgrading from much older models, or completely new to the market. They want to know what and when so they dont jump in a buy the current model only to find out a new one with great new features came out 2 months later, and they wish they had waited.
Mike

AndrewKeyz

Irene

I think it's natural for humans to wonder what will happen next when it comes to entertainment, technology, politics and life in general.

Which is why I think in movies / tv shows for example, the whole notion of prequels is usually an absolutely terrible and stupid idea. Kill a character off and to then go back to learn what happened with that character before is usually not that captivating beyond a twist here and there.
Without Music, Life would be a Mistake.

Check out my Genos recordings & performances: http://www.youtube.com/andrewkeyz

soryt

There is so much  to improve the Genos , its not bad at the moment  . but if you use it for 5 years and you know al his good and bad things ( yes they exist)
than its time for a better and new Genos II

My short wish list so far > Wish list Genos
8 Gb Flash mem ( ore more)
Oled screen ( very high def)
metal case finish, black better build  ( case is flex now)
on board voice editor
new foot pedal like the Mfc10 and all the controls
smaller design
better I-pad integration, or android apps
better build quality
HDMi output
YC61 Dawbar engine
Full style editor onboard
Multipad editor
balanced output ( Xlr)
Usb sound like Yc and Ck series
Bluetooth
seamless sound  transition
Automatic VH like that other top arranger  :)
a decent replacement for YEM ( it's terrible now) Look at Nord sound manager
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Jeff Hollande

Hi Soryt :

Do you think Yamaha might follow your wish list ?

In that case ... what are your consumer list price expectations :
present price + 20 % ?  ;)

Regards, JH

JohnS (Ugawoga)

New Genos wish-----

Seamless switching

Better way to load sounds with editor and load banks.
Bigger hard drive to load your own samples
Easier way to make Styles
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

soryt

Quote from: Jeff Hollande on April 18, 2023, 12:48:18 PM
Hi Soryt :

Do you think Yamaha might follow your wish list ?

In that case ... what are your consumer list price expectations :
present price + 20 % ?  ;)

Regards, JH

If the Genos II is made with better housing and metal  and all that improvements ot may cost about 5800 €.
And if it is also "upgradable " and wil last for 10 years ore more it is not so expensive, look at the Tyros range , the most of them are still "alive" and kicking.
I using a YC61 with the Genos and it's build like a tank and weight a 7 Kg , Yamaha can build a better Genos if they listen to the customers (Ideascale)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Toril S

We have a professional musician here who still gigs with his Tyros 1 !!! Many have told him to try the Genos, but he is not interested! I guess he looks on his keyboard as a tool, and as long as this tool works, why buy another expensive one? But we hobby musicians are not looking at our keyboards as tools, but as interesting gadgets! It is not only the playing for us, but we like to delve into new functions and features. We like to fiddle with our keyboardes and discover new tinngs, that is the fun of it. So I have 6 keyboards, while this musician has one. He is earning a lot of money, and has minimal cost of equipment. I, on the other hand, I am SPENDING money, I mostly play at home. But oh my, how FUN it is! Will I buy a Genos 2? I hope not, but fear I will :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Jeff Hollande

Compared to the competition enduser' s price, an amount of Euro 5,800 might be much too high, IMHO.  :P

JH

mikf

Genos 2 does not yet exist, but we are discussing a completely fictitious price!  8)

Mike

Jeff Hollande

" Genos 2 does not yet exist, but we are discussing a completely fictitious price! " 

I agree, Mike.

It looks like Yamaha are not in a hurry to announce a new high end arranger despite the potential pressure ( ? ) of competition.
Apparantly there is a lot of Genos' stock available yet.  ::)
No reason at all to discuss a fictitious price now.

BTW all Genos owners are saying the Genos' sound quality is the best of all arrangers ever made.

Best wishes,
JH

madirv

OK guys----having read your responses to my post above I will hold my hand up!!!!!   Perhaps I'm having a "bad hair day"  ;D ;D
I just don't really get it.  I don't have a Genos btw ---if anyone remembers my earlier posts (doubtful) but i traded my S975 last December for the SX900.
I absolutely love this keyboard and just like Bogdan ( thanks again Bogdan for all the help you have given me) I am learning new things all the time and hopefully am improving a little.   But I just don't get why anyone owning the Holy Grail of keyboards (ie the Genos) is so "obsessed "with waiting for the next one.  It is sort of beyond me.   However, you are quite right Ton---I can skip reading it if it annoys me.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
My only real excuse here is that i read this forum with the expectation of information which will help develop my "skills" (???!!!!) and so I guess info re the latest keyboards isnt what i,m looking for.

Toril, I cannot imagine for the life of me why anyone would have 6 keyboards  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D   But i love your example of the musician with one  and money and you with 6  and spending. :D :D :D :D :D

Then again, the love of my life was always golf---so perhaps we're not so different after all!!!

I think its perhaps time for me to sign out of the forum but I would like to thank all the people who have helped and encouraged me over the last few months.  I am particularly grateful to Bogdan for his help and closely followed by Mike, Toril, Drake, Eileen, Chris and Keith.  Thank you all.

Kindest regards
Irene

JohnS (Ugawoga)

Well, You have to understand men

We love toys and lots of knobs to play with. 8) ::) ;D

BogdanH

Quote from: madirv on April 19, 2023, 01:42:33 AM
.. But I just don't get why anyone owning the Holy Grail of keyboards (ie the Genos) is so "obsessed "with waiting for the next one.  It is sort of beyond me...
-it is interesting indeed. Most impatient seems to be those who say Genos is perfect for them and better than anything else on planet. I think future will tell, that big majority of those "waiting for new Genos" will never buy one. I can imagine seeing reasons like "because next Genos isn't that much better..." -yeah, impossible to improve "perfect" keyboard ;)

But as I mentioned in my previous post, we just love to talk about new upcoming stuff and make predictions... it's in our nature, I think. Especially for us, hobby players. As Toril said: it's not only a playing -that's why she needs 6 pieces, I guess  ;D
I try to be reasonable in this (my wallet takes care about that) and even I'm happy with keyboard I have, I do dream about having something "better"... I think I need to block all web pages showing Pa5X  ;D

Bogdan

ton37

... see original post....

I think its perhaps time for me to sign out of the forum but I would like to thank all the people who have helped and encouraged me over the last few months.  I am particularly grateful to Bogdan for his help and closely followed by Mike, Toril, Drake, Eileen, Chris and Keith.  Thank you all.

Kindest regards
Irene
It goes without saying that everyone decides for themselves whether to stay or to unsubscribe. You can also read only those topics that interest you (or use 'notify' in the top right of the posts!!). In addition to many nonsense discussions, there is much more helpful information to be found in the various sections. You just have to sort and/or look them up yourself. Enjoy your keyboard....
My best regards,
Ton

JohnS (Ugawoga)

Keeping up with the latest is cheaper in the long run especially with Yamaha keyboards as they hold there value.
Also new discoveries.

Just take my Yamaha DXR8's which cost  £1000 just under in 2018 with a six year guarantee.
Now the Yamaha satalites speakers with a boom box and battery wires included for £300 when new is a rip off as they sound like a transister radio compared with the DRX8's
In 2018 i just paid for the Genos and my DRX8's will last easily another 10 years plus, and when new Genos comes out that brings the Yamaha tinny box set up to £600 if released this year.
The DXR8's are a world apart in quality compared with the Yamaha Genos GNS MS01's
I use Focal Alpha50's for mixing
I still think that if you pay for a Yamaha Genos at nearly £5000, it deserves quality sound.
or you will run a Rolls Royce on a Mini engine as i have said before.::) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Danny1972

Quote from: BogdanH on April 19, 2023, 03:26:01 AM
-it is interesting indeed. Most impatient seems to be those who say Genos is perfect for them and better than anything else on planet. I think future will tell, that big majority of those "waiting for new Genos" will never buy one. I can imagine seeing reasons like "because next Genos isn't that much better..." -yeah, impossible to improve "perfect" keyboard ;)

For me to upgrade to the next arranger from Yamaha it would need to be substantially better than the Genos otherwise I think I will just keep the Genos, so for example, it would need to be a jump similar to past jumps, eg, From 9000pro to Tyros, and Tyros5 to Genos, if it's just an increment then I really doubt I would change it especially now that the OS is that advanced that you could do any increments via OS now, eg, the improvements from T2-T5 could all have been done via OS upgrades I am sure, so I doubt Yamaha would get away with doing a Genos2 with just a few extra drums, styles and sounds at today's standards. The Pa5x is a massive jump from the Pa4x in nearly every way especially in the drums and bass where it can even sound like a Ketron sometimes and I am absolutely enjoying the Pa5x and it's the keyboard I currently play the most as I am discovering new things every time I touch it. I am really enjoying the Event too because it's a breath of fresh air, and then there's the fantastic Genos that always makes me smile with how beautiful it also plays. I still hold to this day at how much Yamaha can improve on the current Genos, sound wise that is, I just don't know what they can do. They can improve it cosmetically of course and add loads of extra usbs, plugs, knobs, screen tilt, but if it still sounds the same as the Genos then I don't know if I'd get it. It will need to be a huge leap like Korg and Ketron have done for me to be worthwhile, if that makes sense. The difference has to be really noticeable.

Divemaster

OK guys----having read your responses to my post above I will hold my hand up!!!!!   Perhaps I'm having a "bad hair day"  ;D ;D
I just don't really get it.  I don't have a Genos btw ---if anyone remembers my earlier posts (doubtful) but i traded my S975 last December for the SX900.
I absolutely love this keyboard and just like Bogdan ( thanks again Bogdan for all the help you have given me) I am learning new things all the time and hopefully am improving a little.   But I just don't get why anyone owning the Holy Grail of keyboards (ie the Genos) is so "obsessed "with waiting for the next one.  It is sort of beyond me.   However, you are quite right Ton---I can skip reading it if it annoys me.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
My only real excuse here is that i read this forum with the expectation of information which will help develop my "skills" (???!!!!) and so I guess info re the latest keyboards isnt what i,m looking for.

Toril, I cannot imagine for the life of me why anyone would have 6 keyboards  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D   But i love your example of the musician with one  and money and you with 6  and spending. :D :D :D :D :D

Then again, the love of my life was always golf---so perhaps we're not so different after all!!!

Kindest regards
Irene

I read this with a growing feeling of sadness, and then actually got quite cross about it.

So I will only say this, and it's not often I stick my head above the parapet these days.

I'm sure I'm not the only member who is SICK OF HEARING ABOUT......In no particular order....

NAMM.......It's Finished...... No Arrangers.....Tough....Get over it!

GENOS 2......No such keyboard.....Period

KORG......Who cares? We're a YAMAHA forum.

KETRON......As above.

C'm all you people haven't we got more worthwhile things to discuss?

I am pretty cross that a good member Irene, has felt that she doesn't want to be here any more. Especially, as like me, she lives in the UK....

I'm also aware that we can all comment on subjects that maybe we should stay clear of.

But losing Members......NO.....That's not right.  Sorry but It's NOT right.

I'm off now. .....No replies neccessary

Keith.    >:( >:(
No Yamaha keyboards at present.
Korg Pa5X /61 Arranger /Workstation
Korg PAAS Mk2 Keyboard Speaker Amp system
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner
Roland RH-5 Monitor Headphones

Danny1972

Quote from: Divemaster on April 19, 2023, 05:52:53 AM

I read this with a growing feeling of sadness, and then actually got quite cross about it.

So I will only say this, and it's not often I stick my head above the parapet these days.

I'm sure I'm not the only member who is SICK OF HEARING ABOUT......In no particular order....

NAMM.......It's Finished...... No Arrangers.....Tough....Get over it!

GENOS 2......No such keyboard.....Period

KORG......Who cares? We're a YAMAHA forum.

KETRON......As above.

C'm all you people haven't we got more worthwhile things to discuss?

I am pretty cross that a good member Irene, has felt that she doesn't want to be here any more. Especially, as like me, she lives in the UK....

I'm also aware that we can all comment on subjects that maybe we should stay clear of.

But losing Members......NO.....That's not right.  Sorry but It's NOT right.

I'm off now. .....No replies neccessary

Keith.    >:( >:(

Maybe I am not understanding the problem, but isn't the whole purpose of a forum is to talk, discuss, report, debate about these very things!? I don't know about anybody else but even though it's a Yamaha forum I still appreciate hearing about other instruments too, because after all aren't we music lovers first!? And then there's those who are anticipating the next Genos or whatever, and why not!! I am as well! I think it's perfectly fine and I also completely understand the slight disappointment with no announcements about it yet.

I think the forums would be quite bland if we just spoke about 1 topic with just 1 opinion and everybody agreeing to it, wouldn't make much for great conversation I don't think and we'd learn nothing new either!!

I don't think it's necessary for anybody to leave the board for just posting what they think and what's on their mind, I think it can be refreshing and quite healthy to hear different points of view.

BogdanH

Quote from: Danny1972 on April 19, 2023, 05:40:48 AM
For me to upgrade to the next arranger from Yamaha it would need to be substantially better than the Genos otherwise I think I will just keep the Genos...
...The difference has to be really noticeable.
I hear you. And for that to happen, Yamaha needs a new fresh approach, which some Yamaha owners don't really welcome -they wish an "upgrade" and not a "change".

I'm happy with SX700, but if Yamaha doesn't change it's "philosophy", then my next keyboard probably won't be Yamaha anymore. As it is, Yamaha is too "closed" system. There are limitations without apparent reason and too many "can't do" things. Some things can only be done if we use 3rd party software or if we "hack" files (i.e style unlocker) and many things are just kept as secret by Yamaha (i.e.: how to create cpf file without specific instrument info file, undocumented sy***-es, etc.).
But I'm not holding my breath for that change to happen...

@Irene
Don't leave.. we need someone who will keep us sane here  ;D

Just sharing my thoughts,
Bogdan

EileenL

I did not think Irene was leaving the forum but just not going to take part in this thread anymore.
  After all there are still many members that look forward to getting information on there currant keyboards and asking for help where required.
  Most forums became very quite a while back because there were no new flagships from Yamaha coming along and sad to say but nothing to moan about like how bad Piano's were.
  These new threads crept in about the opposition and for my part have gone on far to long. Yes it is nice to know what else is out there but going on and on about it takes away the enjoyment of coming onto the forum for some. Come on all you Yammie's lets get back to our own topics. Why be on a Yamaha forum that is producing such long threads about other keyboards.
  The new Genos or what ever they call it will be along at some point and also the price it will be. Then we make our discissions.
Eileen
font]

madirv

Eileen----yes I was planning on leaving the forum as I just feel these subjects are of no interest to me at all and what I wanted from a forum (and did originally get) doesnt seem to happen anymore and I just end up getting slightly annoyed at the continual long winded discussions about other keyboards and when the latest Genos is coming out.  i know I shouldn't bother -----(Grumpy Old Woman)---- and so I thought it would be best , therefore, to just opt out.
I was very touched though to receive a PM from a forum member telling me not to go.

Also I see Bogdans comment above which brought a huge smile  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have very little to contribute actually as I have more questions than answers-----I think that was the signature tune many years ago to a sport programme on the telly!!!!!   
Kind regards
Irene

Teknoss

While some still complaining about the same thing,  I wonder how to make my own revo! drums in my Genos.
I think it's more important than regretting NAMM and no Genos 2 yet etc.
Still enjoying my Genos.  :D
Genos 2, Korg PA5X, Ketron EventX, Nord PedalKeys27

Lee Batchelor

I didn't read every post but just because there was no Genos 2 displayed at NAMM, doesn't mean Yamaha won't release it next month (for example). It may be in the final stages of OS proofing and other QC stuff. Time will tell.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.