Author Topic: Intros and Endings Chords  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Nova227

Intros and Endings Chords
« on: April 06, 2023, 03:41:56 PM »

Is there anyway to see what the chords are used in the Intros and Endings ?

Nova227

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline pjd

Re: Intros and Endings Chords
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 07:00:39 PM »

One way to do this...

Transfer the style file to a PC/Mac. Change the file extension to .MID. Open the MID file in a DAW. Find a bass, guitar or keyboard track. Look at the notes/chords in the sections marked "Intro" and "Ending".

Determine the root scale note and work out the chords. Some DAWs or notation programs can generate chord symbols from MIDI notes.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 01:23:02 AM »
I think if he was capable of doing that he would not need to move it to midi. Could just listen to the intro, identify the bass (root) and find the chord by ear.
Mike
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 03:02:59 AM by mikf »

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline TiasDad

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2023, 09:39:42 AM »
You could maybe look into using something like Chordify which is free on iphone and desktop, to identify the chords played.

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023, 02:39:42 PM »

Is there anyway to see what the chords are used in the Intros and Endings ?

Nova227

You can download Chord Tracker and import the audio file. It is free on the App Store and it will give you the chords of any song

The following users thanked this post: YammyFan

Offline Nova227

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2023, 05:10:32 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts. I was hoping there was away to see them on the screen like you do when playing a chord with the left hand.
Hopefully Yamaha  could add this someday .

Nova227

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2023, 07:16:11 PM »
I know this is not the answer you were hoping for, but you should try just identifying chords by ear. It's not as hard as you probably imagine. Start with a very simple intro. You know the key already because you will set that from your opening chord when you play it. Listen to the intro, stop it frequently and try to hear and match the root note on the keyboard. That gives you the starting note for the chord. Then just play a major, minor, diminished chord on that root, and try to hear if it sounds right. This is a really good way to train yourself to hear chord changes and progressions.
Mike

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 04:18:57 AM »

Thanks for your thoughts. I was hoping there was away to see them on the screen like you do when playing a chord with the left hand.
Hopefully Yamaha  could add this someday .

Nova227

Hi, my PA5x shows the chords played in the intro, so hopefully might be a feature Yamaha could introduce. Obviously doable if Korg have done it.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 07:51:00 AM »
Good morning,
Generally the intro and the ending are played in the general key of the song.
It is still necessary to know the keys according to the alterations (sharps and flats).
You have to stop asking YAMAHA for everything, a minimum of musical sense is required otherwise you might as well put a coin in the jukebox.
Good day
Christian

Offline andyg

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 10:46:10 AM »
I'm with mikf on this.

To be blunt, many (most?) home players press Intro and Sync Start, play a chord and let it run. They're not too bothered about what chords have been programmed into the intro, probably why Yamaha haven't bothered to spend money writing the lines of code to display them! The higher end Korgs have always been aimed more at the 'pro'. But the 'pro', if they deserve that label, will have learnt how to work them out and the best pros will probably play their own intros!

I get my students to listen to the intros, to find the root note of the chords being played, usually in the bass line - and then work out the chords from there. Many of the intros use predictable chord progressions. They then use what they've learnt to write and play their own right hand parts that will fit in over the intro, or replace a part of the intro. Mandatory in keyboard exams from Grade 2/3 upwards and indeed a candidate may well lose marks if they simply let an intro or ending play through without adding something of their own!

Nothing beats the #1 ear, with practice it will outperform any app!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2023, 03:14:26 AM »
I'm with mikf on this.

To be blunt, many (most?) home players press Intro and Sync Start, play a chord and let it run. They're not too bothered about what chords have been programmed into the intro, probably why Yamaha haven't bothered to spend money writing the lines of code to display them! The higher end Korgs have always been aimed more at the 'pro'. But the 'pro', if they deserve that label, will have learnt how to work them out and the best pros will probably play their own intros!

Hi, yep, the Korg PA5x has got the chords displayed in the main intro, must admit I don’t really know why that function was needed either. 
Fortunately Intro 2, you play your own chord progression. Far more useable than the ones that contain progressions.
What’s the thing that I used check out first, the Intro’s/Endings. The intro’s with the chord progressions  sound brilliant.  Used to be what sold me on a keyboard.
After a while  gets a bit repetitive using the same intro for  10 different songs.
With the Korg they have 3 types of intro, count in , intro with no chord progression, intro with chord progression ( it’s the one I use the least, even though it sounds the best).
Prefer to play count in , or the one with my own chords, at least it vaguely matches the song😀
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline pjd

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2023, 11:45:45 PM »

Fortunately Intro 2, you play your own chord progression. Far more useable than the ones that contain progressions.
What’s the thing that I used check out first, the Intro’s/Endings. The intro’s with the chord progressions  sound brilliant.  Used to be what sold me on a keyboard.

Prefer to play count in , or the one with my own chords, at least it vaguely matches the song😀

Actually, Yamaha arrangers have the ability to do this! The only thing that distinguishes a Yamaha INTRO/ENDING from a MAIN is the way the NTR/NTT settings are made.

Yamaha's factory preset INTROs and ENDINGs have NTT/NTR settings to follow the root note, but ignore chord changes. Should be possible to create INTROs and ENDINGs that follow root note and chord by setting the NTT/NTR as if it was a MAIN section.

Yamaha -- in its wisdom or whatever -- decided not to develop any factory intros and endings that follow user chords.

All the best -- pj
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 11:47:00 PM by pjd »

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2023, 12:37:19 AM »
Actually, Yamaha arrangers have the ability to do this! The only thing that distinguishes a Yamaha INTRO/ENDING from a MAIN is the way the NTR/NTT settings are made.

Yamaha's factory preset INTROs and ENDINGs have NTT/NTR settings to follow the root note, but ignore chord changes. Should be possible to create INTROs and ENDINGs that follow root note and chord by setting the NTT/NTR as if it was a MAIN section.

Yamaha -- in its wisdom or whatever -- decided not to develop any factory intros and endings that follow user chords.

All the best -- pj

Hi, I was actually referring to the factory styles  ( maybe not too clearly haha) I’ve actually done it with a few of my user styles , changed the intro’s so that I can play my own chord progression, more so in my prior korgs , than in my psr’s.
I hadn’t realised how flexible the Yamaha style creation system is till I bought my sx900. In many ways very similar to Korg.🙂
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline pjd

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2023, 11:52:42 PM »
Hi, I was actually referring to the factory styles  ( maybe not too clearly haha) I’ve actually done it with a few of my user styles , changed the intro’s so that I can play my own chord progression, more so in my prior korgs , than in my psr’s.
I hadn’t realised how flexible the Yamaha style creation system is till I bought my sx900. In many ways very similar to Korg.🙂

Hi Rikki --

Glad to hear that you're on it. Other folks may not have known that this is possible.

All the best -- pj