Author Topic: Help needed for YEM  (Read 1832 times)

Offline torben

Help needed for YEM
« on: April 01, 2023, 09:17:56 AM »
Hi friends

I need some advice please...

I am about to use the YEM and I have not been using it for ages. :'(

2 questions:

1. I have installed the YEM 2.9 on my PC. Is it necessary before I use it now to install the latest Genos upgrade?
2. I am about to install a new cpf file withs some new voices. I understand this should be loaded in the YEM. But what is the advantage/disadvantage themn to use a cqi file when installing  in the Genos (as I would not need to format and erase the old Genos packages)?

HELP!

Torben
Tyros 5 was my choice - now it is only Genos1 !

Offline BogdanH

Re: Help needed for YEM
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2023, 11:19:31 AM »
hello Torben,

1. I don't have Genos, but I would advise you to install latest Genos firmware. There's a reason why they're made: for keyboard to work as intended (even if you don't notice anything being wrong). And most important: if something doesn't work as expected, then you're at least sure that keyboard (old firmware) is not reason for that.

2. cqi (and pqi) install file has advantage (over cpi/ppi) only in particular situation. Example: You have cpi pack which has 10 voices, but you only need 5 of them. So you select those five voices and create cqi/pqi install file and install that pack in keyboard. Later you realize that you also need two more voices from that same cpi pack. So in YEM, you additionally select desired voices and create new cqi install file. Now comes the difference between cpi and cqi:
When installing newly created cqi file on keyboard, only those two newly selected files will be read from USB and added to previous content on keyboard. That makes installation quicker (hence "q" in file suffix) than if complete install file is transferred to keyboard. In case of ppi install pack, always complete package is transferred to keyboard and previous expansion pack (if any) is deleted.
What's important to know is... Let's assume (from above example) you still have only 5 voices that you installed first. Now you decide to use a different cpf pack in YEM (which contains different voices), select 2 voices of your choice and create new cqi install pack. When you install this pack, these two voices won't be added to existing content on keyboard. In this case cqi install file will behave the same way as cpi install pack: previous content on keyboard will be deleted and you only end up with two voices in that install pack.
In short: as long you only update your custom pack in YEM, you will benefit of using cqi (or pqi) install file -because installation process will be shorter. That can obviously only be important if you're dealing with large packs (say, 500MB+). Obviously, you need to keep track of what you currently have installed on keyboard.

I suggest you try out to get the impression of what's all about. I hope that was of some help.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline torben

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 11:57:45 AM »
Thanks Bogdan

great help. :-*

Torben

Offline torben

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2023, 12:13:10 PM »
 Just for info. The Genos would not accept the cqi file, so now I try the cpi. I have no idea why!

Torben

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2023, 12:20:24 PM »
hello Torben,

1. I don't have Genos, but I would advise you to install latest Genos firmware. There's a reason why they're made: for keyboard to work as intended (even if you don't notice anything being wrong). And most important: if something doesn't work as expected, then you're at least sure that keyboard (old firmware) is not reason for that.

2. cqi (and pqi) install file has advantage (over cpi/ppi) only in particular situation. Example: You have cpi pack which has 10 voices, but you only need 5 of them. So you select those five voices and create cqi/pqi install file and install that pack in keyboard. Later you realize that you also need two more voices from that same cpi pack. So in YEM, you additionally select desired voices and create new cqi install file. Now comes the difference between cpi and cqi:
When installing newly created cqi file on keyboard, only those two newly selected files will be read from USB and added to previous content on keyboard. That makes installation quicker (hence "q" in file suffix) than if complete install file is transferred to keyboard. In case of ppi install pack, always complete package is transferred to keyboard and previous expansion pack (if any) is deleted.
What's important to know is... Let's assume (from above example) you still have only 5 voices that you installed first. Now you decide to use a different cpf pack in YEM (which contains different voices), select 2 voices of your choice and create new cqi install pack. When you install this pack, these two voices won't be added to existing content on keyboard. In this case cqi install file will behave the same way as cpi install pack: previous content on keyboard will be deleted and you only end up with two voices in that install pack.
In short: as long you only update your custom pack in YEM, you will benefit of using cqi (or pqi) install file -because installation process will be shorter. That can obviously only be important if you're dealing with large packs (say, 500MB+). Obviously, you need to keep track of what you currently have installed on keyboard.

I suggest you try out to get the impression of what's all about. I hope that was of some help.

Bogdan
Thanks for the explanation, Bogdan. And that's exactly why I HATE the YEM software. Way too confusing! I'm still fighting the latest Genos update that completely ruined my registration defaults. That's enough for me.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2023, 01:29:00 PM »
You must do a full install of all the voice packs you used first from YEM Now keeping all those boxes ticked you then put a tick in the new one you want to add. You now save this as a CQI file and it should load OK.

Offline torben

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2023, 01:50:41 PM »
Thanks Eileen!

Kind regards

Torben

Offline Stijn

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2023, 03:34:46 PM »
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2023, 05:46:22 PM »
hi torben
Just for info. The Genos would not accept the cqi file, so now I try the cpi. I have no idea why!
I think "quick" install option was added after Genos initial release.. to be able to recognize cqi/pqi files, you probably need to update Genos firmware.
Btw. I don't use quick install, because I just don't wish to bother with keeping track on what exactly I have currently installed on keyboard. But then, SX700 only has ~400MB storage space and so I'm ready to wait for full install. Genos has ~3GB (I'm not sure) and if that would be my case, then I would maybe change my mind  :)

hi Lee
And that's exactly why I HATE the YEM software. Way too confusing!...
hahaha.. yes agree. Ok, after creating custom packs few times, it's actually straightforward process. The problem I see is, many times process is unnecessary complicated. For example, one can't directly copy single voice (or selection of voices) from one pack into another (copy/paste doesn't work for that) -and Yamaha calls such software "manager". But then, list of complains about YEM is too long for this post  :)

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2023, 09:07:20 PM »
Thanks, Bogdan. I really hope they clean up a lot of computer related stuff for Genos 2.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2023, 09:53:07 AM »
CPI vs CQI:
Supposing you have an encoded pack (CPF) and you add another pack (PPF) with some new content for your keyboard.
If you didn't install the CPF pack yet in your keyboard, you will not be able to create a quick installation containing the PPF pack, because YEM does not see an already builded installation. So, you will need first to make a CPI containing those two packs. This will create a new file in YEM installation folder to remember what was installed last time in your keyboard for the next build process.
Supposing you did this step and installed the CPI on your keyboard, now you will be able to make a quick installation with the new added packs in your YEM. So, add a new pack (the third), or other content to your existing packs (only to PPF packs you can add content). Select the new content for installation and now you are able to create a quick installation pack. This new installation file will contain only the last content added to your entire selection (in our case, the last pack added or the new content added to existing ppf pack).

Note: from my experience, it is better from some time to make a clean install of all your selection, so time to time export ALL the content you needed, not only the new added. Because I saw some voices with samples that sound very strange, some of them simply overlaps other ones. I play on some keys which must play only some of my samples, but strangelly plays in addition samples from other voices too, or some samples will become broken, strange sound.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline DerekA

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2023, 11:40:38 AM »
Note: from my experience, it is better from some time to make a clean install of all your selection, so time to time export ALL the content you needed, not only the new added. Because I saw some voices with samples that sound very strange, some of them simply overlaps other ones. I play on some keys which must play only some of my samples, but strangelly plays in addition samples from other voices too, or some samples will become broken, strange sound.

I completely agree with this. There are some nasty bugs in YEM which don't always show up but, when they do, the only fix is to start again 'clean'.