Author Topic: Midi Receive Set Up For Band InA Box BIAB  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Nova227

Midi Receive Set Up For Band InA Box BIAB
« on: March 29, 2023, 04:03:32 PM »

I am trying to set my sx900 to receive midi song files i have created In BIAB.

The setting is probably the same as for any device transmitting midi data to the sx.

Any advice on how to do ?

Nova 227

Offline overover

Re: Midi Receive Set Up For Band InA Box BIAB
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 11:51:42 PM »
Hi Nova227,

Which MIDI connection do you use between SX900 and PC:

- DIN MIDI cable(s) and an external USB MIDI interface
- USB-MIDI direct connection (USB type AB cable)
- Bluetooth LE MIDI adapter
- USB wireless LAN adapter (UD-WL01)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Nova227

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 01:00:22 AM »
 The connection is  USB A B.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 01:24:01 AM »
The connection is  USB A B.

Thanks for your quick response, Nova227!

I assume you are using a Windows PC. First, please make sure that the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver (V3.1.4) is installed on the PC (usually the 64-bit version of the driver for current Windows versions). When installing the USB-MIDI Driver, note that the USB cable connection must already be established BEFORE starting the driver installation.

On the SX900 you set one of the preset MIDI templates "All Parts" or "KBD & STYLE" (in "Menu > MIDI"). This automatically ensures that the Part "Song" is set in the "Receive" tab for the 16 channels "Port1 Ch1" - "Port1 Ch16".

So that these 16 SONG Channels @Port1 can now be controlled from the PC, you select "Digital Workstation 1" as the MIDI output driver in the PC program used (e.g. Band-in-a-Box). (So please DO NOT use "Digital Workstation 2" as this would control the Keyboard, Style and Multi Pad parts.)

If you want to control the PC from the SX900, set "Digital Workstation" as the MIDI input driver in the program you are using. This corresponds to Transmit Port1 on the SX900. (Transmit Port2 is not available via USB-MIDI.)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 01:29:21 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline kiplis

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 11:08:03 AM »
@overover,

What is the expected latency in case of Genos to BiB midi? Can you play in "realtime" ?

Thanks

-kiplis-

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 02:38:26 PM »
@overover,

What is the expected latency in case of Genos to BiB midi? Can you play in "realtime" ?

Thanks

-kiplis-

Hi kiplis,

I haven't looked into Band-in-the-Box in detail, so I don't know if it's even meant to be played in real time (like an arranger keyboard). I do not think so. The Band-in-the-Box MIDI input is probably intended primarily for entering chords and/or playing in MIDI tracks.

In any case, the MIDI input and output on the keyboard (e.g. on Genos) is virtually latency-free, i.e. in real time.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline Nova227

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 03:21:30 PM »
 Thanks for the instructions. I was able to get the midi arrangements to play on my sx. Unfortunately sound quality wasnt much better than directly from app.

I need to spend some time with settings on BIAB . I thought i maybe able to adjust instrument setting directly from the keyboard but that is not the case. I am going to try to export midi song from BIAB and open on the sx to edit.

On using BIAB like an arranger you can do some input but not realtime playing like an arranger.
When i get some time i will look it up and give you more detail on what you can do with input.

Thanks Nova227

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2023, 01:10:38 AM »
Hi, I didn’t have a great deal of luck using sx900 as sound module for biab.  If your sound quality isn’t much better than  from biab , it’s possibly just using the xg or gm sounds in the keyboard. Are you using purely midi styles?

If it was me, I’d probably export them to sx also, revoice them to get better sounds.

If your styles also have audio tracks, maybe consider using Real Band. Haven’t tried this in a long time, but from memory, if you load your song created in biab, and probably revoiced  in sx (as I doubt you’d find a instrument map for sx900  for biab ,) you can load it in and replace midi tracks with audio tracks ie if the midi drums sound awful, generate an audio drum track to replace it.  You can even do it with guitar tracks etc .

Real Band which comes with BiaB uses the biab styles. Well worth learning the program😀.

Thanks for the instructions. I was able to get the midi arrangements to play on my sx. Unfortunately sound quality wasnt much better than directly from app.

I need to spend some time with settings on BIAB . I thought i maybe able to adjust instrument setting directly from the keyboard but that is not the case. I am going to try to export midi song from BIAB and open on the sx to edit.

On using BIAB like an arranger you can do some input but not realtime playing like an arranger.
When i get some time i will look it up and give you more detail on what you can do with input.

Thanks Nova227
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline Nova227

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2023, 01:32:23 PM »

I was ableto export a midi track from BIAB and load it into the sx. I was able to revoice the tracks. it sounded better than BIAB.  I am now motovated to spend more time on this to see what is possible.

I have also found that if you create a song in BIAB then export the song as an MP3 then load it in Chord Tracker . When you have it in Chord Tracker you can load the chord progression into the Chord Looper on sx 900  or the midi song player on any psr that supports CT. Now that you have the chord progression you can then select the style you want.

BIAB  has an excellent chord progression program intereface. I hope Yamaha or one of the independant programers devlop something similiar to be used with Chord Looper  and or the step recording function which i think is on most PSRs.

Chord Tracker  can almost do this. It has the function that allows you  to program your chord progress but there is no way to preview them until to send it to the PSR. It just needs a metronome sound and a pad sound to listen to your progression  it before you send to PSR.

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2023, 05:01:40 AM »
Hi, I’m using chord player to create chord loops for my PA5x. Not quite as intuitive as typing biab chords, but it works.

https://www.1manband.nl/chordplayer/index.htm
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022